Dent removal?

Got questions? We got answers....
kdx78

Dent removal?

Post by kdx78 »

I bought a new FmF pipe over the winter and have already dented the hell out of it. Is there any easy ways to get rid of the dents?
wvsp612

Post by wvsp612 »

pacific crest pipe repair, $60.00 did a great job on my gnarly pipe.
Cody
2003 KDX 200
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I filled mine with compressed air and then torched the dents and they came out. But it leaves burn marks so you'll have to polish 'em out afterwards (if you want to), and also you'll have to be careful that you don't burn through the pipe
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

I bought a dent removal kit over Ebay for one of my friend who need a new face and maybe a couple of brand new teeth. nice deal!
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

On a 4t header you can fill it with water and freeze it overnight to push the dents out. The ends do not have to be pressure tight, just enough to hold the water in. I don't know if this will work on a 2t expansion chanber. It would probably take longer to freeze all the way through.

Some riders consider the expansion chambers to be a disposable part, as in they are so important to performance that it is not worth messing with a tweaked one.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
tirebiter

Post by tirebiter »

They ain't that hard to get out.
For the big end, use an 1 1/2" drain test plug- made by Oatey and available in the plumbing section at your local home desperate. For the small end, you'll have to scrounge around for a short piece of tubing/hose that'll slide over, then find some sorta plug to cap the other end. I wound up using a piece of 1" rubber tubing and a 3/4" PVC coupling plug (That white stuff plumbers/landscapers use) then band clamps to double secure all the joints on the small end.
Once you have everything nice & tight, put your pipe in a vise and DOUBLE make sure neither end is facing anything important.
If you have an oxy acetylene torch, start heating the dents in a circular pattern till all glows red. The heat of the torch will expand the air trapped in the pipe, and as the pipe gets hotter, the dents will start to disappear.
If you don't have an oxy/acl torch, Mapp gas (The yellow bottle) will work, just takes a few more beers.. Just make sure you keep the torch moving and don't burn through..

PS I've done this on more than one occasion, no need for compressed air.
Relax, take your time & the dents will come out.
I'll go out to the garage tomorrow and take some pics of the stuff I used if ya need a visual..
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

The nice thing about Pacific Crest is that he has all the jigs to straighten the pipe out so it fits just like it did when it was new
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
kdx78

Post by kdx78 »

pictures would help a ton man Id appreciate it