im stumped! please help

Got questions? We got answers....
brayden55

im stumped! please help

Post by brayden55 »

so im working on a 1995 honda fourtax at the moment.

when i got it it would run but die after a couple minutes, so i looked at the the valve timing and it was fucked! so i adjsuted it as the manual says. i swear to god i have it adjusted perfect! i had 2 people read the manual and look over my work both said its good

so i put it together and started it up, it ran and idled forever but now when i pin the trottle it boggs and revs up and down and up and down. i cleaned the carb and installed a in line fuel filter and same thing >:( so i pinned the trottle again and sparayed quickstart in the carb, it made the bike waant to quit and it spat the quickstart back out onto my hands.

this is leading me to belive that my intake is opening too soon and pushing that last bit of exaust out the intake.

when the bike wouldnt idle and the timing was messed up it would revv high but once i fixed it, it will idle but not rev right

any help or suggestions? im going crazy
1995 kdx 200 my baby
1986 klr 250
1989 yamaha blaster 200 just like the kdx
1983 kl 250 bought the thing for $100 it wont die
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

did the timing chain slip in the first place?
Did you adjust valve lash only or did you get to the chain and see if the chain is in time?
Does or did the chain rattle when the bike is running?
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
gregp

Post by gregp »

The way your post is written leads me to believe that you are referencing valve lash adjustment as opposed to valve timing. These are two very different things. Valve timing is normally not adjustable.
The latter part of your post certainly does sound like the timing is incorrect...
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
gregp

Post by gregp »

Normally, there is a "T" mark on the flywheel that aligns with a mark on the case, and a small line on the cam sprocket that aligns with a case seam or head casting mark that will indicate valve timing.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

How was the valve timing messed up? They won't run at all if they are more than a tooth or two off. Either the timing chain and slack adjuster are worn out, or somebody changed the timing. Put in a new timing chain, they wear out and make it hard to get the timing right.

It is possible the intake valve is not closing completely. Some models have the valves hang open as they wear - not enough valve lash. make sure you can move the rockers slightly when the valves are fully closed. it should have a few thousandths of an inch clearance.

A valve could be bent, especially if the timing was way off. Or the valve seals could be bad. The oil can build up residue in the valve guides, and cause the valves to hang open. Take the valves out and make sure they move freely. Each scenario has happened to me...
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250