New owner, carb/fuel problem

Got questions? We got answers....
atcaw94

New owner, carb/fuel problem

Post by atcaw94 »

I just bought an 01 KDX 200. Got a pretty good deal on it cause it has carb problems, he said it's been sitting a year and I believe it. It won't stop leaking fuel out of the overflfow tube. I pulled the carb apart and put a new float valve in it, Do you think that maybe the float is still not pressing down on the float valve, and so I would need to bend that tab?
I also put new gaskets in the fuel tap cause it was leaking also, but still won't shut completely off.

Any help is appreciated.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Hi and Welcome!
Be certain that you got all the gunk out of the lines of the Carb and the Tank.
You should set the Float height off the Manual at the top left of the main page.
It is possible that there was still some debris in the inlet when you re-assembled.
Make sure the crankcase hasn't filled up with fuel when you go to crank it over if at all possible.

My carb was really really bad and I was able to clear it out after a couple trys

Did you miss anything with the petcock? Look for reasons why it's leaking again. I'm not sure if they're a problem spot or not...
Good luck
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I would CLEAN the entire carb and see if it helps. Will the gas run out when you hold the bike straight up or just when on the kick stand? If it is just when on the kick stand then I'm not sure I would worry too much about it. My bike depending on how it is sitting will leak gas out of the over flow.
atcaw94

Post by atcaw94 »

Replaced the float valve after soaking the carb in the Yamaha carb cleaner. Also adjusted the floats with calipers the best I could. I tried to clean out the chamber where the float valve goes with scotch brite, but not sure its as smooth as it should be? Is that chamber/sleeve replaceable? Also, will a 35mm PWK work on my 01?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Soaking the carb is a bad idea, unless you remove the jet block and jet block gasket first. Most carb soak / dip chemicals will damage the rubber gasket.
atcaw94

Post by atcaw94 »

Not with this stuff, all the shops around recommended it. It's Yamalube carb cleaner. This stuff does rock, it was around $12.
atcaw94

Post by atcaw94 »

Well may need a carb, was told the bore where the float valve goes is non replaceable. That's the only thing I can think of that would be it, even after replacing the float valve and adjusting the float, gas still pours out the overflow. Shop told me they could either spend a couple of hours troubleshooting it, and it could still need a carb. A stock replacement is around $250, I can find a used one for less than half, but who knows if it won't end up with the same problem. If I have to replace the carb, should I just get a DG or Airstriker?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Check RB's web site. http://rb-designs.com/

If you want to stay with a stock carb check here http://www.jetsrus.com/carburetor/carb_ ... eries.html
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|<>QBB<
atcaw94 wrote:Well may need a carb, was told the bore where the float valve goes is non replaceable. That's the only thing I can think of that would be it, even after replacing the float valve and adjusting the float, gas still pours out the overflow. Shop told me they could either spend a couple of hours troubleshooting it, and it could still need a carb. A stock replacement is around $250, I can find a used one for less than half, but who knows if it won't end up with the same problem. If I have to replace the carb, should I just get a DG or Airstriker?

Do your self a favor and just do it !
Get RB's air stryker and be done with it.
RB's jetting out of the box is close and the carb is more forgiving
than the stock carb, not to mention the fact that it's his modded carb also.
I have one and it has been flawless.
atcaw94

Post by atcaw94 »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:Check RB's web site. http://rb-designs.com/

If you want to stay with a stock carb check here http://www.jetsrus.com/carburetor/carb_ ... eries.html
So I can get a PWK QUAD VENT/AIR STRIKER for $176? And this is a new, complete carb? I'm new so bare with me, but what exactly is an air striker? And, what makes the RB carb worth twice the price? The bike is ridden by a novice, so I'm just trying to get it running to get back in to riding. I'm not looking to make it ready to race......yet :grin:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The price is $345 for the airstriker. $165 to mod your existing carb.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I'd try fixing your existing carb, first. There may be a bit of wear or damage to the seat of the float valve. The float needle has a rubber area on it, I believe, that will let it tolerate a little damage to the seat.

Can you mount the carb on a bench, float bowl cover off, and supply it gas with a temporary tank and see what is going on?

Seems I read on here of someone (CC?) polishing the float valve seat with a Q-tip and valve lapping compound.

Otherwise, I bet Mr. Black could fix it for some $.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
atcaw94

Post by atcaw94 »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:The price is $345 for the airstriker. $165 to mod your existing carb.

The $176 I stated was from jetsrus
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Ah, well that's a good deal.
atcaw94

Post by atcaw94 »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:Ah, well that's a good deal.
I emailed them to see exactly what the deal is, I'll let you know when I hear something.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

for what it's worth, jetsrus is a great company to deal with. excellent customer service!
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|<>QBB<
atcaw94 wrote:>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:Check RB's web site. http://rb-designs.com/

So I can get a PWK QUAD VENT/AIR STRIKER for $176? And this is a new, complete carb? I'm new so bare with me, but what exactly is an air striker? And, what makes the RB carb worth twice the price? The bike is ridden by a novice, so I'm just trying to get it running to get back in to riding. I'm not looking to make it ready to race......yet :grin:
If you are looking to just replace the carb the air striker is still a good deal at 176.00
You just have to use your cap.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:The price is $345 for the airstriker. $165 to mod your existing carb.
Don't be surprised if it gets over $200 by the time you get it back.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:>|<>QBB<
Don't be surprised if it gets over $200 by the time you get it back.
Why is that?
paulkdx220

Post by paulkdx220 »

try lapping the float needle to seat with toothpaste, bakins soda, or fine plastic scratch remover. i have also narrowed the needle seat cointact face by carefully using a drill bit and twisting with my fingers it to remove alittle bit of material. this will increase the contact force of the needle to seat.