new pipe pleasantly suprised

Got questions? We got answers....
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

new pipe pleasantly suprised

Post by canamfan »

Well I got a 96 kdx 200 a few months back and been fixing it up. Bought a fmf woods pipe used w/ guard and silencer of e-bay a week ago. put the pipe on and was pretty amazed at the difference much easier to pull the front wheel up in second gear, quite a bit more grunt overall and cleaned the topend up some, overall a worthwhile improvement. :grin:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Nice :grin:
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

I've had really good luck with FMF pipes on all my bikes.

Are you really a Canamfan? I race vintage MX on a Can-am.
Ontario, Canada
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

can-am

Post by canamfan »

yes I have a 83 250 ase that I play around on and a 74 tnt/mx 125 for vintage here in missouri Though i haven't rode a vintage race this year, I rode quite a few vintage races a few years back but haven't done much lately. I also have a few can-am projects, a mx3, a 175 qualifier, a mx5, and a mx2, I like working on them about as much as riding. What do you ride?
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

If you're that hardcore, you may have already seen it posted somewhere else :razz:

Note the similarity to the 80 works bike. That wasn't an accident ( I think mine looks better)

I've been watching this bike for a while, and trying really hard not to buy it.

It would take an MX 3 tank, and look good in the process :razz:
Ontario, Canada
gregp

Post by gregp »

Great looking Can-Am's! Back in the late '70's and early '80's I had several Qualifiers - a 1979 175, 250, and a 370. The 175 was my favorite, but the 370 had what I would consider to be a great motor for a modern Dual Sport bike.
If I came across a nice 175 or 250 TnT, I would snap it up in a minute!
Yes, I am another Can-Am fan....
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

Yeah I think yours looks better, that's a nice 77 qualifier has that been for sale on the classic can-am site? I rode my 250 a little last nite after riding the 200 kdx those rotax motors really put out the power, I'd like to try a rotax in a modern chassis. I know ATK has made them but there pretty expensive, I was thinking of a kx,yz or rm chassis. I bet it would really move. The chain being on the opposite side could be a problem though, what do you think?
gregp

Post by gregp »

No, that is not mine. If it was, it would not be for sale. :-)
IIRC, carb access was a pain in the neck on my bikes. A frame tube cut right across the area you needed to get at that Bing. Yes, right side chain would be a problem. I welded up the swingarm on my 370, to move the Girlings up a bit, then I over tightened the chain and yanked the countershaft right through the cases. I ended up buying a whole new 400cc motor for that one. Come to think of it, on that same bike, the rear brake stay came loose, and shattered the brake backing plate.... Maybe vintage bikes are best kept as a fond memory...
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

That 77 bike has been for sale locally for some time. He wants $1500 for it, but it's supposed to be all original, and low mileage. The last thing I need is another bike, but everytime I have a couple of beers, I look at that ad, and decide to call him in the morning. When I wake up, I come to my senses.
After I get back from vacation, the front forks come off the Can-am for some seals, and oil, and setup, then maybe an MX power valve will go in. The last round is about 3 weeks away, and I'm second in points. If I practice real hard, I might be able to catch the first place guy. :razz:
Ontario, Canada