Riding boots question

Got questions? We got answers....
homefront

Riding boots question

Post by homefront »

After a long absence, I am returning to riding.

So long ago, when I was lucky to just afford a bike, I wore plain old work boots for riding. I've decided not to suffer the same minor injuries that I got in those days and bought myself a pair of Moose M1 boots.

I sat on the bike tonight to see how the boots would feel and noticed right away that I had a tough time getting my boot under the shifter.

Is this something I will get used to, or do riders normally adjust their shifter lever to a higher position?
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

Keep your shifter parallel with the foot peg. Wear the boots around the house for the time being or while you cut the grass. After a few rides and the boots begin to break in you will not notice them as much. Before long, you won't understand what the fuss was about in the first place.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I personally adjust the shifter a bit above parallel to the peg, much easier to shift. i think it's all about getting used to it and personal preference.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I also adjust the shifter up a little, a spline or two.

Years ago when I bought my first pair of real ridding boots they took forever to break in. One of the older guys that I rode with told me to fill them with the garden hose, put them on full of water and go riding for the day. I thought he was just screwing with me. after about a month of about 12-14 hours a week of riding they were still feeling pretty stiff. That was when I decided to jump in the river, unbuckle the boots to fill them up, rebuckle and go riding. By the end of the day the boots fit great. I had to adjust the buckles for the next ride but it worked great.

If you don't want to fill your brand new expensive boots full of water, I don't blame you but it worked great for me. Now I will ride a few rides and if they don't loosen up they get water boarded! :partyman:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I don't really get my toe under the shifter when shifting. I just kind of hook it on the edge of my boot and it works great for me.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R