From 2 bikes to 1..parts swapping

Got questions? We got answers....
dan46n2
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

From 2 bikes to 1..parts swapping

Post by dan46n2 »

So the story is that I have a friend that bought a 95 KDX200 about 2 years ago from a mutual acquaintance. Said friend later hurt his back and after surgery, was recommended to stay away from off-road riding for a while.
So I picked up the bike thinking I'd revive it and call it my own. It looked pretty beat but had a gnarly woods pipe and a gripper seat, and the forks had already been resprung for a heavier rider as well as the rear shock receiving this treatment. At least, that's the story as I'm told.
Well, I decided to sell my DRZ400 and was also entertaining the idea of taking trades on something like a KTM 200 EXC or a KDX... I was offered a decent amount of cash and a fairly stock, low-hour 2004 KDX 200 and after seeing the bike I got the notion that I'd just transfer some parts off the beat-up looking 95 and put them on the 04, then later sell the 95.
I had ridden the 95 a few times now and knew it was pretty quick, but I had no idea until I rode the stock 04 and then the 95 right afterwards.
WOW. The 95 felt SOOO much faster. Just a pipe and no air filter box/carb rejet seemed to add quite a bit of power.

So The 95 also had some barkbusters as well as a scotts damper mount.

But I had already put together something with new parts- Easton bars (on closeout) in CR High, Zeta XC Handguards/Armor, ProTaper clamps. I had Zeta rubber killers ordered but I ordered the wrong ones.

So I took off the pipe, carbs, and reeds.
The 95 has a Boyesen Reed box (RAD Valve?) w/ single piece carbon fiber reeds.
Obviously, the 04 has what I have to guess are stock reeds/valve.

I took a peek into the intakes and thats where it got interesting...
Stock 04

The 95. Ported?

After seeing that, I feel indifferent about tossing stock parts over what might be some light motor work... I don't know how much I want to keep my stock, unmolested cylinder... Is it worth my time to hold on to the ported top end?
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Those ports have definitely been cleaned up, I would run that cylinder. Other than that, the motors 100% the same. 95-07 were the same bike. So you could technically build one sick bike out of both.
Last edited by factoryX on 06:22 pm Aug 07 2011, edited 2 times in total.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Nope not at all. But I would be willing to give you scrap price for the cylinder! :lol:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

What part of NY are you from?
dan46n2
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dan46n2 »

Cortland. I don't have anywhere here to ride it so I take it to a friends house near Elmira as he is just learning to ride as of a few months ago.
dan46n2
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dan46n2 »

So I guess I can just pull the cylinder, head, and piston/clips from one and swap it with the other?

This will be my first time tearing down the topend of a 2 stroke...
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Yeah, but be careful when removing the kips paw.
dan46n2
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dan46n2 »

KIPS Paw? I guess I'm too new to this so I have to ask what the "paw" is?

Where in upstate NY are you from, rbates?
gregp

Post by gregp »

Yes, the intake ports on the '95 have been cleaned up, but in no way is that a "port job". Realistically, I would guess that "clean up job" has very little impact on actual power production. The pipe/silencer, and the open air box definitely have a significant impact. I would suggest taking the pipe/silencer, and the suspension from the 1995 model, and bolting them up to your 2004 model. Remove the air box lid from the 2004 model as well. Then swap the pilot and main jets from the '95 to the '04. There is probably a 45 pilot and a 150 main in the '95, and a 48 pilot and a 165 main in the 2004.
After you have done this, you will want to purchase a Boyeson RAD valve or a V-Force reed cage for the 2004.
JMO.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

You would have to compare the ports in the cylinder to check for a true port job, but yeah I'd say build one sweet bike out of two!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
dan46n2
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dan46n2 »

^ Thanks. I was cautious about calling that "ported" but was pretty obvious it's been cleaned up a bit... I still need to pull the head to see if there's been anything done to that... Part of me wants to use the 95 cylinder if there's good reason to believe it flows better due to the clean-up job, but with there being a slight leak from the headgasket (you can see the dark spot in the 3rd pic) I'm worried that I'll find the head is slightly warped (vs just a bad gasket)... Part of me wants to just stick with the low-hour, fresher motor/top end and go from there.

Luckily, the 95 had a Boyesen reed box so I assume it might be a RAD valve- I'll snap a couple pics and get the crowds consensus on that. If that is indeed what it is, I'm going to use that with the CF 1-piece reeds for now and later pick up a set of the 607 reeds...
dan46n2
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dan46n2 »

A shot of the whole (tiny) garage I'm working in... Small, but it will have to work for another couple years until we move to a larger house (outside of town so I can have some land!)

dan46n2
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dan46n2 »

Woohoo! Just won a Trailtech Kickstand off ebay for $65!
Guess I'll have a practically-new OEM KDX stand available for sale soon!
gregp

Post by gregp »

Careful. I believe the RAD valve will need replacement reeds specifically designed for it.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
dan46n2
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dan46n2 »

>|<>QBB<
gregp wrote:Careful. I believe the RAD valve will need replacement reeds specifically designed for it.
Thanks for the info.
Guess I better snap a picture and confirm exactly what it is I have before I order parts for it.
gregp

Post by gregp »

No problem, Dan. I believe that with all of the "goodies" from the '95, you should have one ripping 2004 KDX there!
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
gregp

Post by gregp »

My 2004 KDX 200 has an FMF pipe/silencer, air box lid removed, leaner jetting, and a V-Force reed cage. My suspension is revalved (by me), and I love my bike!
I sold my 1996 KDX200 a long time ago (I should have kept it), and it had a Boyeson RAD valve (in addition to the same pipe/silencer combo, and other mods).
IMO - Both the RAD valve and the V-Force cage make a significant improvement in power.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
dan46n2 wrote:KIPS Paw? I guess I'm too new to this so I have to ask what the "paw" is?

Where in upstate NY are you from, rbates?
The "paw" probably isn't the right thing to call it but on the right side of the cylinder is the KIPS actuator rod coming out of the transmission with a left hand thread nut holding the "paw" on. If you make it in there the part I'm talking about kinda looks like an animal paw.

I live about an hour northeast of Albany right next to Vermont.
dan46n2
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dan46n2 »

OK, your description makes sense now- Thanks!

Yes, you're definitely Upstate NY whereas I'm considered "Central NY"...
Ahh, VT- I know all about their registration policies- my wife will be sending in some KDX paperwork to them soon :)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
dan46n2 wrote:Ahh, VT- I know all about their registration policies- my wife will be sending in some KDX paperwork to them soon :)
Last I heard you don't even need a VT address to do it. One hang up may be getting the VIN verified. They want to do it for cars but I'm not sure about toys.