Chain & Sprocket Question

Got questions? We got answers....
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Chain & Sprocket Question

Post by Fatherof2 »

Hi Gang,

I just turned 400 miles on my KDX, and the stock chain is about done. My clamshell is on 9, and the chain is just barely in spec. I was surprised by how much it has stretched out.

Should I replace a stock rear sprocket with only 400 miles on it while I am replacing the chain? It appears to be in decent shape.

Will an X ring chain require a different chain guide? Mine is stock.

I am thinking of going with this set up:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/produ ... yPart.y=10

Is that a good call?

Thanks for any input,

David
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I tend to replace the sprockets with the chain. The sprocket may look ok but the teeth start hooking over if you look close and that will wear out your chain quicker.

The X ring chain will fit right on fine with out changing anything.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

[oring are wider and require a wider chain guide. dunno about x ring.
i change everything together chain + sprocket for the reason mentioned above.
The stock chain is just garbage, it would stretch every ride (20 miles). Any other will also stretch the 1st few ride but then it stops.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

on a 220 an x-ring/o-ring will fit. The 200 needs a wider chain guide. Use a 220 guide or the one from fredette or moose. Steel rear sprocket is so cheap as to be a non-issue to just replace when you do the chain. I usually do :)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:[oring are wider and require a wider chain guide. dunno about x ring.
Might be the case on some but I think the stock guides are the same on a 200 (non o ring chain) and a 220 (o ring chain).

If you need a new chain you will want a o ring or x ring chain so buy it and see if it fits! If it won't fit the guide the FRP I know has plenty of room.

As far as brand of chain and sprockets it is up to you as far as how much you want to spend. Personally I would stick with steel sprockets because they are cheaper and tend to last longer than some of the aluminum sprockets.
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

Thanks for the input guys.

I am going to purchase the X ring chain and sprockets.

Can anyone confirm with certainty that the stock chain guide will work with the X ring chain? I may as well try and use the stock one if possible. It seems to work fine. Looks fine too.

Thanks again,

David
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I had a 95 200 years ago with a stock guide and a o ring chain. The bike I have now is a 2000 with a X ring chain (it had an o ring when I bought it.) and the bike came with a FRP chain guide so I do not have an OEM to compare it to.

scheckaet and juliend are saying that you need a new guide so they may be right. If time down is an issue than I would order a aftermarket chain guide just to be sure.

One of the guys I ride with had a bone stock 06 200 and put an o or x ring chain on it with out changing anything so I would like to know if you need a new guide or not. Might be a year difference in the H's.

The part numbers are the same for the guides from a 220 to a 200 but maybe they just don't bother with the 200 guide for replacement parts.

Good luck.
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

Thanks rbates.

I will try to confirm tomorrow morning.

I would like to ask Jeff Fredette, but I think he is off racing in the 2011 ISDE.

I will let you know.

Thanks again,

D.
For God and Country......Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!!
makeshoes
Supporting Member

Post by makeshoes »

I use an x-ring chain on my stock chain guide on my '02 200. Previously, I used an o-ring chain. It has worn my stock chain guide as needed. But my rear tire spins in the air, on the stand, just fine. Hope this helps.
'02 KDX200 Plated
'02 VL800
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

>|<>QBB<
makeshoes wrote:I use an x-ring chain on my stock chain guide on my '02 200. Previously, I used an o-ring chain. It has worn my stock chain guide as needed. But my rear tire spins in the air, on the stand, just fine. Hope this helps.
Thanks Shoes,

Im going to give the stock guide a shot.

D.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Fatherof2 wrote:
Can anyone confirm with certainty that the stock chain guide will work with the X ring chain? I may as well try and use the stock one if possible. It seems to work fine. Looks fine too.

Thanks again,

David
It'll just wear faster

You might want to buy an extra clip or two (should carry one extra anyway)

The clip wears down until it's pretty much paper thin
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

i second that on the clip. I always have 1-2 extras
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

If the stock chain guide is rubbing on the chain side plates you can loosen the screws along the bottom and if necessary put a small washer between the aluminum and plastic to open it up a little.

If the screws that hold the sides of the guide are too tight it compresses the plastic a little and causes friction on the chain side plates.

I run my screws a little loose and use locktite to keep them from backing out.

Or just get an aftermarket chain guide.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch