Replacement ideas???

Got questions? We got answers....
bmann

Replacement ideas???

Post by bmann »

So the 92 and 89 E's have done a great job for me and my girlfriend, however it may now be getting time to replace after two years of learning to ride and seeing improvement. Both bikes have seen a ton of use in the last 2 seasons and before mega replace costs come I feel it maby time to look at some replacements. Now before anyone starts mentioning H replacements, there are just not that many in good shape to had up here (Alberta, Canada), I have been looking so I know (hello Kawasaki can you hear a trend yet??)... Anyways when it comes to us we like a lot of single track, rocky and rooty, steep winding climbs, etc... (actually that's mostly what we have to ride up here - lol). Constraints - I have a fairly short inseam at 30", so I like the kdx seat in the nastys, the GF is 6' tall so not a concern for her, but does not have as much upper body strength. Both of us have found a certain affection for enduro x stunts, and there is not a lot of wide open terrain here. In my perfect world I would like to pick up something very similar for maintenance. We will spend what we have to, but are not made of money. I am not a brain surgeon, but can handle most mechanic work (necessary learned skill - see not made of money). Finally, I am not opposed to a four stroke but have never ridden a dirt specific one and am a little leery of the maintenance involved. I would love to hear your guys suggestions both new and used.
thanks
Brendan
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

You are kinda short, Eh?

Maybe a KTM 200 for the wife and for you transplant the better of the H series motors into a KX/CR/YZ frame. The reason I say that is that the KX/CR/YZ frames are a lot easier to make lower than the KTM.

In my opinion, KTM, GasGas, and maybe Husky are the only people making decent off road 2 stroke bikes. The jap MX'ers are great but take a lot of work to calm down for the woods.

I don't see any choices in the 4-stroke offerings at all.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Upgrade the bikes you have. Otherwise, be a bit more specific about what you want to do or feel you are able to do that the KDX can not. You ARE on a kdx forum here, so it might not be the best place to come looking for recommendations on other bikes. The KDX is arguably the perfect leisure trail machine, and can also be made to be very competitive with just a small investment, even the "old" E bikes. I see no reason to get rid of them, nor is there any repair that they could possibly need that will be more than purchasing one of the uber expensive euro machines. ALL bikes require maintenance.
bmann

Post by bmann »

5'7 but short legs. My biggest fear with the E's is the declining replacement part situation. Yes we can find them now - but supply is starting to shrink, and that kind of worries me. All bikes do need to be maintained, but I don't think I could do a top end job on a four stroke in an hour which I can on a two stroke.
This site was one of the reasons I got the kdx's in the first place, and I value the opinions and advice I receive here. From knowing the bikes so well, I think people here would have the best idea on what would be most kdx like but newer.
As far as the current bikes go on mine I have added 2002 revalved kx 500 fork, pro circuit pipe, air box mod, and if I keep it will get the vforce 3 reeds, and Rb mods done. Hers is pretty stock, but a new pipe is on the way. Once again, dont get me wrong I love the bikes and think someone at Kawasaki should be slapped silly for ending such a great line.
JoKDX220r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoKDX220r »

>|<>QBB<
bmann wrote: I love the bikes and think someone at Kawasaki should be slapped silly for ending such a great line.
+1
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I love the bikes and think someone at Kawasaki should be slapped silly for ending such a great line.
Maybe so, but they did. I wasn't consulted either. :roll:

I think people here would have the best idea on what would be most kdx like but newer.
None of the Jap bikes. KTM or GG, and they are a lot more race orientated.

Maybe you could compromise. Keep them both, pretend to give yours to your woman, get yourself a newer something and see how it works out.

I just bought a really clean '08 KTM 200. My old KDX was good, the hybrid was great, this KTM is going to make me a world class CHAMPION :lol:
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The KTM's are great for what they are. Want to talk about temperamental though. My buddies 200 EXC is great to ride when it's running. We work on it more than we ride. My old KDX has had to double us both out of the woods more than once.

I don't think parts for the E are going to be as scarce as you think at any time soon. Being honest, if I was going to go another direction, it'd be a Gas Gas 200/300 EC. The KTM's are too twitchy and stiff for me. The Gas Gas is a bit more "kdx like" as you say. For me though, I'm KDX for life. There's not a better bike out there for the way I ride. Eventually I will probably do a hybrid. Just forget about the 4 jokes. There's nothing out there that compares, unless you want an old XR.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I don't know where you're at but here in Calgary a decent H can be found for $2500-$3000. That's for one in pretty damn good shape.
'00 KDX 220R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Might be worth a trip to the states! Lately they seem to be going for cheap in upstate NY.
bmann

Post by bmann »

Your suggestion of going south has some merit, I cannot believe the price difference. However, after this last weekend of riding, keeping up with everything else out there, and realizing I really do feel comfortable on my bike. I think we will sell hers (hers being the 89, and defiantly seen more abuse from previous owners), put her on a ktm 200 and do the rest of the mods on mine. The savings alone will finance the whole of next seasons riding. I have still yet not cleaned a section because of the bike (the rider on the other hand . :roll: ). Thanks for the reassurance guys :supz: .