KDX vs all others question

Got questions? We got answers....
gregp

Post by gregp »

I have owned a lot of bikes in my lifetime. I am now on my 2nd "H" series KDX200. I just love the bike. The motor is just about perfect for the tight, boney New England trails I ride on. It is light enough to work well when the going gets really tough. It is comfortable for a long trail ride (something a lot of newer bikes are really lacking, IMO). It comes with lights, and is easily street plate-able (as mine is). It has a 6 speed transmission. It has a decent fuel capacity/range. Parts are plentiful. But probably the biggest thing for me is that they are super reliable, hardly ever needing anything more than an oil change. Oh, and they are really very affordable on the used market.
When you add up all of these advantages, they are really hard to beat for a non-competitor/casual trail rider.
The only other bikes out there are the KTM200, and the Gas-Gas 200, and with both of those, you will pay significantly more, and trade some of the positive attributes of the KDX for a relatively small edge in performance.
I have found that the folks that I ride with tend to look down on my KDX, until I let them try it out. When we do go riding, I am usually out front, unless we are in a sand pit, where I usually just pull over in the shade somewhere. :grin:
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:I've seen much lesser skilled riders on big 450 thumpers ride up sh!t I would not even attempt on the KDX
Your kinda getting away from the OP's question but, from my experience around here most of the guy's that have had a 450 4t get rid of them before the end of the first season because they are about useless in the woods. WAY to much go. Not enough power to the ground. Yes the other guy's may make it up a hill but it tends to be not much more than just ignorance and luck.
ever heard of the thing called "trottle control"? thats what your right hand, and that little twisty thing on your handlebar is for.
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
98 ktm 380 "because it dang near killed me!"
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
kdxmaniac wrote:>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:I've seen much lesser skilled riders on big 450 thumpers ride up sh!t I would not even attempt on the KDX
Your kinda getting away from the OP's question but, from my experience around here most of the guy's that have had a 450 4t get rid of them before the end of the first season because they are about useless in the woods. WAY to much go. Not enough power to the ground. Yes the other guy's may make it up a hill but it tends to be not much more than just ignorance and luck.
ever heard of the thing called "trottle control"? thats what your right hand, and that little twisty thing on your handlebar is for.

The main single track place around here you will not find a 450 MX bike anywhere. The main bikes are KTM, KDX, and a few 250'S and the various others like old XR's.

Yes the right hand will help control the wheel spin but when you are in tight nasty trails why would you want to have to deal with a bike with ocd? The 450's do make all sorts of power but they lack the controllability of a woods bike.

One of the guys I ride with had a 450 and after trying to sell it for ever he finally got some one to trade for an older CR 250. He now has a KTM 300 and swares it has much more useable power but he can actually control it. Not like the on / off switch like the 450 had.

But any way, if you think the 450 MX bikes are the way to go with woods riding then go for it! Personally I think I will keep to the woods bikes for the woods. :butthead:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I never mentioned 450 mx bikes

Honda KTM Husaberg Husqvarna all make woods 450's

And they go up trails no KDX is ever going to follow
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:I never mentioned 450 mx bikes

The OP was asking about what makes a KDX better than the 250 MX bikes. (If you read the first post you might pick up on that.) So when you start talking about 450's one can only assume you would be also talking about 450 MX bikes like the OP started the thread with. So yes, the WOODS 4t are good WOODS bikes but MX 4T are not so much.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I could give a rats ass what the OP was talking about
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<

You can put a pro on a moped and they will beat an amature on a race bike. :mrgreen:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:I could give a rats ass what the OP was talking about
So..........Then why did you reply?...........
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:I could give a rats ass what the OP was talking about
So..........Then why did you reply?...........
Why do do care?
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Do do? :mrgreen:
trail 450's are decent bikes, however a kdx could keep up in the woods no problem. Hill climbs are different as then the 450 can show merit and go up the hill. But not every person is out to climb hills. So then the KDX is a great trail bike, if anything the fall back bike.
Oh and KDX can climb hills:

Another issue people tend to forget is Body weight. 200/220cc 2 stroke is going to suffer as heavier riders ride them. The kdx200 piston is 66mm while the 2011 crf450r piston is 96mm(2001 cr500 piston is 89mm). Gasp, imagine that, newer 4 stroke cheat by running extremely short rods and giant pistons with short skirts. :busted:
Last edited by factoryX on 03:56 pm Aug 05 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

To get to all the best trails around here you usually have to climb a gnarly ass hill climb :wink:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Another good woods bike for around here is the YZ250 smoker

Gobs more power and grunt and excellent top end
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

I own both, and its almost to much for local riding areas.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I don't think hills are a limiting factor for the KDX unless maybe with 200+ pound guys riding them. At 150lbs I have had no problems due to the KDX's power, or lack thereof, making it up any nasty hill I have encountered. Now, my riding skills are another matter! :mrgreen:

BTW, what the hell is up with the attitudes on here? It's a freakin discussion forum. Everyone lighten up a bit.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

LOL I am 200lbs exact. It took 3 tries to make it up that hill.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
factoryX wrote:LOL I am 200lbs exact. It took 3 tries to make it up that hill.
I'm really not trying to insult you here but I must ask. Was it due to lack of power, poor suspension setup, or rider skill?
'11 GasGas EC250R
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

I would say mainly due to lack of power and that the stock suspension sucks, but it was my 3rd or 4th time out on a bike since I quit ATV's, so skill level might have had something to do with it. :mrgreen: What I hate though is how GoPro makes everything seem sissy, the hill is about as steep as banshee hill at florence.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Carvr is under 200

I can ride up pretty much anything he can

I'd love to see a KDX try this hill :lol:

I've been down it :shock:

[youtube][/youtube]
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Klammer

Post by Klammer »

>|<>QBB<

Jeez Wibby, nice comparison 200 2t to 450 4t hill climbing. Ha Ha. How about 450 4t to 500 or 550 2t hill climbing.
[youtube][/youtube]
Or since this is a green website
[youtube][/youtube]
Klammer
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I would gladly try any of those hills on the KDX. Preferably on the 250 but I would try it on the 200.

If you notice in the third vid how the guy on the YZ450 didn't make it up twice and it sure wasn't due to lack of power. It was because his skills were not up to it. He kept losing his momentum/traction because he would either lift on the throttle and/or not load the suspension properly with his body position. As you all know, momentum and maintaining traction is the name of the game when climbing steep hills.

I know plenty of KDX's have made the climb in this vid. The carnage starts about 4:15. If you notice, there are plenty of bikes that should have more than enough power to make it but it is the riders skills that are problem, not the bikes.

[youtube][/youtube]

Here is a different angle on "The Hill" starting at 1:32.

[youtube][/youtube]
'11 GasGas EC250R