KDX vs all others question

Got questions? We got answers....
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

KDX vs all others question

Post by G22inSC »

I have just been thinking lately and wanted to ask a simple question in the hopes of living through it.

Why is the KDX "THE" woods bike?

I rode bikes many years ago as a kid and a few years ago got back into riding after purchasing a '97 KX250. I hadn't been on a bike in 25 years or so and did not have any reference of what they use to be. I never could work all the bugs out of the KX so I sold it after buying a new '05 KDX200 back in 2006. I didn't even have it long enough to get use to riding again and be able to compare the two. I have since added pipes, exhaust, reeds, KX forks, etc. like most other people. It seems we try to keep making them more and more KX like; however, the claim is that the KDX rules the woods. Why? What makes them that much better as opposed to other KX/CR/YZ/RM 250's? Not trying to start a flaming war, just curious what everyone's opinions are.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

It's all about the engine! :supz: We may try to update the chassis details quite a bit but not so much on the engine. Yeah, we do the same basic mods you do to most bikes to improve the engine but it sure isn't to make it more like a KX. We want more power but we want it to make that power in the same KDX fashion.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

+1
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

IMHO

The 250's seem to be geared funky for the woods. The power delivery tends to be kinda flat...then hang on. A little twitchy if you will.

The KDX seems to be more willing to let you use what power it has when ever you want. They have about three times the flywheel of a MX bike so they will lug better right from the start.

I have rode and rode with 250 MX's in the woods and the only time they seem to have more usable power is on the long straight connecting trails and the more open trails.

I would have to say the KDX being "THE" woods bike is probably referring more to the tight twisty single track where big displacement is out ruled by tractable power hitting the ground.

Again MHO. :partyman:
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

I have always wandered what the big difference was. I did not realize the engines were that different. Is the KDX just a little "detuned" so to speak?
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

not so much de-tuned but better ported for wood use
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

They do come somewhat on the tame side but if you leave them like that it would most likely run for ever twice. The jetting is very fat from the factory, the pipe is somewhat restrictive and the front suspension is nothing to write home about. But the bike is easily upgraded into a very nice bike for trail riding. basic pipe, jetting, air box mods much like most other bikes really wakes them up.

If you are looking for a faster than the rest ultimate power house, you might want to keep looking. If you want a great woods bike than you have found it. :partyman:
homefront

Post by homefront »

If you have the dough, the Husky WR 250 is also an awesome bike.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Comparing the KDX to a 250mxer is apples and oranges really. We spruce up the KDX a little, and the Mxer guys try to make the MX bike more like a KDX (big tank, flywheel weight, softer susp, 18" wheel, etc). The KDX was the last of the Japanese wide-ratio/enduro 2-cycles. To properly compare, you need to compare to another 2-cycle enduro bike, and they are all European. The euro 2-cycle enduros are awesome, but quite expensive, and tend to still be more racy in nature when compared to the sweet more recreational motor in the KDX. Many just leave the KDX alone aside from some armor, suspension work, and a little on the power(pipe/reeds). Many go hog-wild trying to make more of a euro racing 200 out of the KDX, and like them just fine however most find at this point they may want to just pick up a euro bike. In a nutshell the last era KDX is still a 1995 chassis, and is best described as the perfect interim bike between the early 90's chassis design, and the newest thin/tall profiles, with a motor that delivers the balance between an old 4-cycle enduro tank, and a lightweight 250 racer.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
heckler

Post by heckler »

blasphemy alert!

I dunno, the newer KTM 200XCW's my buddies are on seem to be quite the woods bikes. But they paid twice as much.
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

I will probably get flamed but here it goes:
I have owned many bikes, and our 2006 KDX 200 is a nice old bike, but compared to some of our other bikes I wouldn't call it "THE" woods bike. It is what it is, and it is very good at what it does, but not the the end all of all woods bikes.
Just my opinion.
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2006 KDX 200 (Bone stock other than Jetting, Gnarley woods, Turbine Core II)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

There are many great woods bikes

The KDX is by no means "THE" woods bike
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:There are many great woods bikes

I think the "THE" woods bike comes from being a great, cheap, ready to go with room for improvement bike that just about anyone can ride and some can ride great.

Yes there is better bikes out there, but find one in the price range of a KDX that really out performs the KDX. They are just a good solid reliable woods bike.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Around here, as steep as the terrain is, the KDX is a good woods bike, but only if the rider has the skills and mods to ride it

I've seen much lesser skilled riders on big 450 thumpers ride up **** I would not even attempt on the KDX

But I would still rather ride the KDX, I think it makes me a better rider. A big thumper just seems like cheating to me
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:There are many great woods bikes

I think the "THE" woods bike comes from being a great, cheap, ready to go with room for improvement bike that just about anyone can ride and some can ride great.

Yes there is better bikes out there, but find one in the price range of a KDX that really out performs the KDX. They are just a good solid reliable woods bike.
+1 Absolutely Agree!
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Around here, as steep as the terrain is, the KDX is a good woods bike, but only if the rider has the skills and mods to ride it

I've seen much lesser skilled riders on big 450 thumpers ride up sh!t I would not even attempt on the KDX

But I would still rather ride the KDX, I think it makes me a better rider. A big thumper just seems like cheating to me
Amen Mr. Wibbens :prayer:
Pre-mix runs through my veins too! :supz:
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

I think this is fairly typical of Kawasaki. My Concours is exactly the same w
ay ... great bike for the price but easily improved.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:I've seen much lesser skilled riders on big 450 thumpers ride up sh!t I would not even attempt on the KDX
Your kinda getting away from the OP's question but, from my experience around here most of the guy's that have had a 450 4t get rid of them before the end of the first season because they are about useless in the woods. WAY to much go. Not enough power to the ground. Yes the other guy's may make it up a hill but it tends to be not much more than just ignorance and luck.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I think you are inhaling too much premix

You see more 450's than any other bike down here. They have no problem putting power to the ground with all that low end grunt
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

A friend of mine has a 570 'Berg. That thing will go anywhere and make it look easy! And makes about as much noise as a CT90
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))