oversized tank options??

Got questions? We got answers....
onthepipe

oversized tank options??

Post by onthepipe »

Ive been looking around for oversized tank options for my kdx without any luck

my bike came with a gallon tank that mounts to the front forks that has a bracket that holds the headlight...kinda a weird setup.

anyways i was wondering if anybody made a desert tank for the kdx??..

thanks..

heres my '93 this is when i first got it..it was disassembled when i got it so in this pic its not fully put back together as you can see..it had been totally gone through..all new bearings and seals..bike is so much fun.. this bike actually raced the baja 500 in the 90s and has preran for the 1000 a couple times as well..its got an fmf pipe, scotts steering dampner, suspension has been revalved and the stator has been rewound for the big baja designs lights so it should be pretty bright when i hook up the headlight..

the seat was shaved for my buddies sister but im kinda liking it..im 5'10 with pretty short legs..it nice to be able to touch flat with both feet...i like it in the rough stuff..

i sold my last bike about 5 years ago..i had a built 04 crf250 with lots of mods..302 stroker, suspension, pipe etc etc...it amazing that im having more fun on an 18year old 2smoke than i was on my 250f...i love this bike..so much fun
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

IMS and clark make them.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:IMS and clark make them.
They did at one time but do not anymore for the E series.

There was some talk about being able to adapt older KX125/250 ('89-'90) tanks and possibly the KX500 tank. I don't know anyone who has actually tried any of them so I can't say what will work. I know the shrouds and petcocks are different but neither is too much of a problem.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
fastnissan

Post by fastnissan »

I have a Clarke KX500 tank on my '90 right now, fits OK but not great, will try to get a pic of it this evening. I have the one with the integrated shrouds that are part of the fuel storage. The shrouds fit over the radiators ok, but don't come down to the bottom of the radiators all the way. I had to re-drill the area for the petcock tubes, it had only one hole in the middle, needs 2 for the KDX with reserve. Bolted on to the stock mounts, the seat doesn't attach to the tank in the same spot, mine is just slid onto the frame for now.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Fastnissan, I would really like to see pics of it. Especially the tank to seat and the shroud to radiator areas.
'11 GasGas EC250R
fastnissan

Post by fastnissan »

Took a few pics of the tank installed.

Seat has different shape.

Seat mounting screw in different location.

Here you can see the left radiator sits down below the bottom of the tank.

Right radiator is ok.

Radiators fit pretty nice inside.

Clears exhaust better than stock shrouds.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Fastnissan, a huge THANK YOU to you! :supz: You are the first person that I know of to actually post pics of a KDX/KX500 fuel tank swap. Your pics clearly show the issues involved and that it can be made to work. It looks like to be perfect you would need to re-profile the front of the seat and at the same time relocate the seat-to-tank mount bracket, raise the left radiator up a few inches, and drill the tank for the KDX petcock. This is really good news IMO as it is another option for us E series owners.

One question for clarification, on the petcock, the mounting holes matched up and you just needed to drill for the dual tubes of the KDX petcock, right?
'11 GasGas EC250R
onthepipe

Post by onthepipe »

thanks for the info..im pretty sure my buddy has an extra kx500 desert tank around...ill check it out...
fastnissan

Post by fastnissan »

Yeah, the mounting screw holes match up, but the KX500 hole is centered, while the 2 holes for the KDX are off set, so had to drill for both pick ups on the KDX, but it seals just fine. I had heard that it might be possible and found this used one for cheap on eBay so I decided to give it a try, been out for one ride with it so far, worked just fine, probably going to try to do a little more refining with the install still.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Thanks again for the info.

I found something a little interesting last night. Zip-Ty Racing sells a special KX500 tank that they have made for them by IMS. Here is part of the description...
Ty Davis Signature Series fuel tanks are made by IMS to Ty’s specifications: high capacity (3.7 gallons), mimics stock tank between rider’s knees (same dimensions as stock) and raises seat minimally. They are available only through Zip-Ty Racing in natural, and two receiver styles: standard screw cap or dry break-ready - Red head valve not included. The ZTR KX500 Tank requires the use of 2002 KX250 shrouds and a low-boy pipe - both of which are available through ZTR Products.
http://www.ziptyracing.com/products/pro ... d=MTI2OA==

Now, I'm not sure if it would clear the KDX pipe or not but I say there is probably a chance it would. (EDIT: after looking at how high the E series ride I have to say it probably WON'T work :sad:) I like the idea of a more modern look by it using '02 KX250 shrouds which you can find in green, black, and white. I also like the idea of increasing fuel capacity by over half a gallon. Pricey at $275 but still cheaper than a factory tank. The only real negative I can see is that it would make changing your spark plug a PITA!

'11 GasGas EC250R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

How you figure over a half gallon?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
fastnissan

Post by fastnissan »

Stock is 2.9, mine is 3.5, he mentioned a 3.7, so mine increased 0.6, the zipty racing would increase 0.8.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
fastnissan wrote:Stock is 2.9, mine is 3.5, he mentioned a 3.7, so mine increased 0.6, the zipty racing would increase 0.8.
2.9 is for the H series

Stock on an E series is 3.3
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

The factory manual lists the E series at 12 liters which is 3.17 gallons. So, yes, over a half gallon increase. :mrgreen:
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

This might be a stupid question from a H owner but, how much different is the KX500 seat from the KDX E series in the back where it mounts to the frame? Could you use a KX500 seat on a KDX that had a KX tank?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

You know, that is a great question. It might be a bolt-on or maybe a bit easier to mod to fit.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Wonder if the are not counting reserve

I know mine holds easily around 3.3
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Wonder if the are not counting reserve

That probably is the case.
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Wonder if the are not counting reserve

That probably is the case.
typically tank capacity is measured at 80% for larger tanks. (100 gallon or more) Maybe they leave some room for expansion in there measurements.
N8Strine

Post by N8Strine »

Just a question, why would you want more than a 2.9 gallon tank? I can race a 2 hour hare scramble on a stock tank. A larger tank would make for more weight also.