Got questions? We got answers....
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

What is a good price?

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Found this:

http://bn.craigslist.org/mcy/2503898533.html

I am thinking about trying out a KX 100 because of what I have heard here regarding the lighter weight. (Been havin' some low-back and hip joint issues.) I'm not dropping my KDX as often as I used to :supz:, but would just like to have a KX around for the extra painful days.

So, what is a decent price (generally speaking) for a KX 100?

Thanks.
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Wow! Definitely NOT 5500, lol. That's your crack pipe special of the day :).

Probably 2000 - 2500 on the high end. You should be able to find a decent one for under 900 - 1500. About the same as most other 2 strokes.
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Thanks. :grin:
UI Vandal
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by UI Vandal »

Look for a 01+ for the better carb. We just picked up ours for $1300 (04, original tires with 80% tread left, FWW, hand guards, kickstand). I would have to agree and say 900-1800 for clean near stock 01-08. I would stay away from heavily modified engines on these. Reading up it seems the larger you go (103 stock bore stroker up to 114) the less reliable and jetting finicky they get.
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Thanks for the info. Just starting to look and not in that big of a hurry since I still have Miss Butterfly, and she is VERY reliable ... just getting heavier the older I get. :oops:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

If you are getting heavier the older you get I'm not sure going to a kiddie bike is the thing to do :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

I tend to agree with Wibbens. I have known a few friends to get their wife's KX 100. They are fun bikes but dont have much bottom end at all. No grunt on a hill climb if you get stuck. (Yes, the bike had added flywheel weight which helps some.)

I have seen a few gals ride CRF 150s, TTR 225 or 230s and been pretty happy with them. They all have much lower seat height than a KDX.

If your heck bent on getting 2 smoker I would lean to a KTM 144/150 because again they have more grunt. But the KTMs are not cheap but atleast not as much as the jerk trying to sell his KX 100 for 5k.
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

No KTM. It's just that. No KTM.

We have a TTR 125 bored to 150, and it pretty well rocks. My biggest problem is that I am so new to the sport and can only depend on the experienced opinions of, well, experienced riders.

I don't know. I am pretty untamed. Not "too" afraid to try much when it comes to riding. I do tend to steer more toward the flat lands, tho; but some hills are definitely worth trying ... now that I know how to get to the top without tipping over. Some fallen trees, some rocks ... worth the attempt. Just did my first creek-crossing over the July 4 weekend and made it. :grin: Getting a little gutsier and aggressive with each ride.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

One thing that aggravates a sore back and hip is the stock kick starter on KDX's. The best money I ever spent in that respect was for a Fredette kick starter (about $90). Makes a HUGE difference for hip problems...your leg does not have to lift near as high, and is no longer forced outward. Just a quick direct downward jab and it fires up much easier. You can also use some KX starters, but I just went with what I knew would work. You use the stock base mount if it's not too worn. He sells all the parts for more money.
I've got blown out SI joints from crashes (loose SI joints can be a common problem for women after child-birth too), and the stock KDX kicker is the worst I've ever used and could make things miserable in certain situations.

I'm pretty sure it will fit both late models.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

mine seems to be fine for me. doesn't bother my hip or my back. starts first kick (sometimes second). i just spoke with jeff today; maybe i will talk to him a bit further about what you are saying, kawagumby. but, i do like mine.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I guess I'm one of the weird ones as I like my stock KDX kicker. The short kickers just don't feel right to me.

So, you have a TTR w/150cc kit? Is it the "L" model with the bigger wheels? If so, you can do a YZ80/85 fork swap pretty easy along with a rear shock upgrade and have a very capable trail bike. There is a ton of info on doing those mods to the TTR over at the TT forums.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:I guess I'm one of the weird ones as I like my stock KDX kicker. The short kickers just don't feel right to me.

So, you have a TTR w/150cc kit? Is it the "L" model with the bigger wheels? If so, you can do a YZ80/85 fork swap pretty easy along with a rear shock upgrade and have a very capable trail bike. There is a ton of info on doing those mods to the TTR over at the TT forums.
I may just have to check into this. Hubby says I'm spending too much money lately tho. :roll:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:I guess I'm one of the weird ones as I like my stock KDX kicker. The short kickers just don't feel right to me.
The short one's like a monkey fuggin a football

I don't like em either
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:>|<>QBB<
The short one's like a monkey fuggin a football

I don't like em either
+1
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

our yz125 has a shorty. what a pain in the arss
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by marrk_us »

I ride with my ex and a friend of hers quite often. They both ride CRF230's, she rode KDX's for year but similar story. She's a very good rider, no problem keeping up with the guys, but just turned 50 and wanted something a little shorter, a little more docile, and estarting. She is quite happy with the little CRF. Working on putting xr250 forks and a works performance shock on it now. I tried it out, a very nice little bike but being 6 ft 180lb a little short for me. But like I said it was the perfect move for her and no problem keeping up at all. I've also owned a ttr230 for a loaner bike, but the build quality on the CRF230 is much nicer than the Yamaha. There's a guy over at thumper talk that's done a lot to his 230 and just loves it. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showth ... ht=cxr250f

Good luck.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I hate a four stroke race bike with a passion, but the little 230 really is a great bike. Coming from the kdx though, it might be a little TOO docile. To the point of bing boring, even.
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:I hate a four stroke race bike with a passion, but the little 230 really is a great bike. Coming from the kdx though, it might be a little TOO docile. To the point of bing boring, even.
:roll:
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
98 ktm 380 "because it dang near killed me!"
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I think you'll just have to find one and try it.

My 13 yr old rides ours and loves it. I use it only for trail maintenance and it is great for that.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Here's a friend of mine on her newly acquired 105 XC

She's in her mid 50's

She's about 5'3"

Her other bikes are a BMW650GS and an XT225

I think she started riding in 06

She's toured Alaska and B.C. solo
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))