Linkage bearing replacement...

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXer
Supporting Member

Linkage bearing replacement...

Post by KDXer »

I ended up ordering the All Balls bearing kit including rear shock bearing. Now my questions are is it easy enough to use the threaded bar and socket trick or should I get a proper bearing driver tool thingy majig?

In other words can I take the 'Dodgy' route (ie threaded bar) or are the proper tools needed.
What about tips and hints on install? Im gonna heat and freeze the nessecary parts to make it easier. Pros and cons??? Thanks everyone and have a great day.... Trev

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

The threaded rod aka "dodgy" method worked fine for me. Here is a pic of the stuff I used.
http://groups.msn.com/KDXRidersCommunit ... otoID=1377
I also used some sockets.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Cheers for the pics mate. Just wondering what the L shaped curly thingys for? Oh and the bar with one nut whats he for? Thanks again champ.
Some nice air in the pic too, Wibby would be cringing. :lol:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

I took the "dodgy" method also when I replaced the bearings in the swingarm of my 88. Heating and freezing the parts makes a world of difference when putting it all back together. It doenst take much to ruin the bearings, bushings and bores if you cock them during assembly.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The 'dodgy' route would work fine.

A vise big enough to hold the knuckle and associated pressing pieces (sockets that fit the bill) works well, too.

Heat-n-freeze is OK...I've only used the freeze part of that scenario.

Make sure the bearing (in the case of the shock for example) is centered in the knuckle so the seals fit properly. That might take a little squeezing back and forth to get it right.

Of course, clean any new bearing well to remove the crap that is likely in there...and regrease with your preferred (Hydrosyn-70? from Hydrotex?) grease before you put the bearing in.

Grease the seals, too...right? Fill-em up!!

Take care with fullly greased seals that your pull rods fit properly. It's not hard to catch the edge of the fastener if you're not careful. Then it falls off that edge on the first bump and you have stuff knocking around....can end up with a ruined set of pull rods AND a ruined knuckle in the process.

I use anti-seize on the bearing shell on assembly to ease the stress on the aluminum body...and to give me some insurance when it comes to getting the thing out next time.

Cheers!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

KAY DEE EXER wrote:Cheers for the pics mate. Just wondering what the L shaped curly thingys for? Oh and the bar with one nut whats he for? Thanks again champ.
Some nice air in the pic too, Wibby would be cringing. :lol:
The L shaped curly thing is in fact one of my moms plant hangers I found in the garage that I used as a spacer when pushing out the old bearings. The smaller rod serves the same purpose as the larger one only for smaller bearings. I don't remember if I used it or not.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Cheers guys hopefully it will be a flawless install. Fingers crossed and again many thanks.

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

KAY DEE EXER wrote: Some nice air in the pic too, Wibby would be cringing. :lol:
I get some descent air once in awhile!

It's kinda like free style 'cept I usually land in a different spot than the bike does! :lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS