which bike

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I'm intrigued by this '02 RM125 shock swap idea. Please, to anyone else that decides to try this, post up your thoughts on the conversion itself and whether you think it was an upgrade or not.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

ss109i will give you my honest opinion. Is it need ed for eveyone,no. if you ride somewhat slower more technical areas probly not worth the money over revalving the stock shock. same holds true if you don't upgrade your forks, which I think is an upgrade worth the money period. If your in mid to high speed areas at times then this is an improvment over the stock shock even with revalve. the back just plain works bette in every way.I can ride much faster with this set up especially as gets rougher
Last edited by osobad on 05:17 pm Oct 13 2011, edited 1 time in total.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Thanks. I'm always thinking about ways to improve my suspension. I do a lot of technical riding but I also ride some pretty fast stuff that is still rough as hell. I'll have to talk to my suspension guy to see if he can and would be willing to do it for me.
'11 GasGas EC250R
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

osobad, or anyone else, what is it about the rear stock shock you don't like? I'm an A level CC rider, and I have no problems with a well-maintained stock shock - as a matter-of-fact, I don't even notice the rear suspension much (a good thing) - and I ride both rough tech single track and fast fireroads with some pretty large jumps. The shock is not revalved either - but I do run about 170 lbs of nitrogen and a 4.8 spring for my weight. The shock feels every bit as good as any MX'r I've owned and I've owned many. The KDX rear works BETTER nearly everywhere than my 2007 WR250F rear! I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm curious about specific complaints/shortcomings.

Of course, I agree completely on a front end upgrade.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

rough tech stuff the rear shock is fine for most people , even ok for fast fire roads and large jumps. But I find lets say you have a fast whoop section you can just take it alot faster whith the showa than the stock shock. It makes the bike alot eaiser to ride. My suspion guy says it is the high speed circuit in the shock. It just plain works beeter for me and what I ride on. I find that it is also super plush with valving I have in it right now with no bottoming out. Is it always worth it, probably not in every case., but for me well woth it and now I feel the bike is on par or better in some ways than the other brand for what I want to race. I have ridden a very good wr250f and I would agree that the stock Kdx shock works as good if not better
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I have always found the rear suspension on the kdx to be just fine too. On both E and H series bikes. The front was terribly mismatched from the factory, and that's the only thing that makes the bike unsafe at high speeds. I'm all about trying different parts though, so I definitely applaud your ingenuity!
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

yes I agree changing the front helps the bike everyware and if I hadn't changed the rear i could have lived with it and been happy. i have ridden preped bikes that were not any better or in some cases worse. I beleive I had gotten the stock shock about as good as it was going to get. I just thought I could get a little more out of the bike in some areas and I couldn't push the bike as hard as I wanted to. i have gained more from the bike than I ever hoped for or expected after doing this to the rear of the bike. I now think The rear is on par with the front . Now I know this could be just for me, but if you are going to have your rear shock revalved anyway your only looking at about another 100.00 to 150.00 to do this. i can tell you this for sure. We have a9 mile practice loop and i was faster by a couple of min. on a freinds KTM, but now I am a little faster on this new setup and the KTM is very dialed. I loop has a mixture of very tight tech, single track, open fire roads, and long wooped sections . I find my self being able to carry more speed in the real ough and wooped sections were as before I probabley lost I little time. Like I sais may not be for everybody but big improvement for me.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Considering that the KX forks are longer than the stock forks are, would/could the RM shock help raise the rear to equal this out better and/or gain some more suspension travel?
'11 GasGas EC250R
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

maybe, i had it made so that is was the same lenght as the stock shock. The rm shock was about a inch longer and the swing arm hit at full travel. something in between might be an option. when I need the shock serviced I might try that but not about to change it now as well as it is working
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

When you say the swing arm hits, are you saying at full extension or full compression?
'11 GasGas EC250R
torgo
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by torgo »

Osobad,

I need a headlight, do you want to sell your old one?

Thanks
Sorry honey it was an impluse buy.
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

at full extension.
toro, the plastic was in realy bad shape and one of the mounting tabs was almost completly broke off
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Thanks for the info!
'11 GasGas EC250R