Looking for a headlight

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXrider1989

Looking for a headlight

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Any suggestions? I'm looking at the UFO Ray headlight, seems like it'll look nice on my bike and will provide a wide range of light. I was also looking at the UFO Ghibli (KDX 220 style) headlight but I don't know which one to pick. The stock headlight housing on my bike is beaten up and can't even hold the lens in place, which is why I'm getting a new one. Any of y'all had any luck trying either of these? Which one would y'all prefer?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

check the wattage. You only get about 35w out of the stock lighting coil. Also, your bike had no VR stock, so you might think about adding one. Aside from that, whatever you like will work. I'm using a stealthy offroad lighting coil and UFO twin headlight. Like this..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/USED-UFO ... 5ae1a6b6fc
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Twins require more than 35w? I was looking at that same exact headlight earlier yesterday, do they provide a lot of light? I've read on another forum that they're tricky to install since there's 2 lights. I'll grab a VR, better lighting coil, and halogen lights later when I get enough money
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I bought a Polisport MMX for mine. Stock MMX bulb is 35 watts but you can get 45 and 60 watt replacement bulbs. I'll be using the 60 watt in mine as I have an upgraded stator.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

No, you can run the twin on the 35W stator, as long as you wire it with a high/lo switch and use one bulb at a time. That's how I wired it anyway, using the wide bulb for low, and the spot for bright. Works great :).
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I think I'm gonna take the lighting coil off of my other KDX (since it doesn't have any lights anyways and the coil looks a little damaged) and take it apart and rewind it with thicker wire, following the how-to's on this site. I'll go ahead and grab a VR from ebay, are all years the same for the KDX 200? With those two I should be able to run more powerful lights and/or both twins, am I right?
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Took off the coil from the KDX I recently put together and went back to Slick Nick's post for reference. Turns out our coils are very different: mine doesn't have any soldering posts; both ends of the wire are on different sides of the coil (top/bottom) ; and mine doesn't have that silicone stuff on the sides. I checked autozone, o'reilly, fry's electronics, and another electrical hardware store for 17 or 18 gauge magnetic wire and NOBODY had them. The closest I could get was 20 ga. so I just settled for that. Another thing: I don't know what epoxy or coating to use to keep the coil in place, and everybody I asked doesn't know either. So I got this stuff from Fry's that says it protects motor windings and coils from arcing, discharge, moisture, and oxidation. Also says it's good for high voltage appliances, what do you guys think?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

The gauge of wire you use can affect output rather dramatically. I found many different gauges easily available on Ebay. I listed the guy I got mine from in Nick's thread. I'm sure, however, that it is still a vast improvement over the stock coil. BTW, my stator was just like you described yours. Good find on the Super Corona Dope and it looks like it turned out good!
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Ah crap :( I'll see what I get with the 20 ga. and if I don't like it I'll switch over to 18 or 17. So I'm guessing you're familiar with the dope I bought, you think it'll work? I'll post some pics of re-wiring this thing since the E and H model coils are different
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I'm not familiar with it. I have been looking for something to seal/coat my coil with. After seeing your pics of it I started hunting it down and read up on it. Everything I read makes it sound like it is perfect for the job.

About the output of your coil, I'd be willing to bet that it will be fine with a 55watt headlight and LED taillight.
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Well I finally finished the coil, it was a pretty tough job getting even wraps since I was working by myself. Started off pretty good, but ended up with it being inconsistent and a bit sloppy. I put good tension and tried my best getting the wires aligned, but I'll have to do better next time. Does it matter if wires overlap a few times and if the wire isn't even all the way around?
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:No, you can run the twin on the 35W stator, as long as you wire it with a high/lo switch and use one bulb at a time. That's how I wired it anyway, using the wide bulb for low, and the spot for bright. Works great :).
or Just run 15watt bulbs

Or one 10w and a 25w

The bulbs come in various degrees from spot to flood
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Thanks Wibbs, I didn't even think about that :doh: on the twins setup, are both lights hooked up to one harness or will I have to customize something? I'm looking at the one juliend posted
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|QBB<[/url]
KDXrider1989 wrote:Thanks Wibbs, I didn't even think about that :doh: on the twins setup, are both lights hooked up to one harness or will I have to customize something? I'm looking at the one juliend posted
They are just wired parallel

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Thanks man, I couldn't find a picture of the back side anywhere. Looks like it'll be pretty easy to install
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yeah, that will work too. I just wired mine using a hi/lo/off switch, and added a VR.
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I guess this is what happens when the headlights require a higher amount of wattage than the stator puts out? Still looks pretty cool though
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Finally had the chance to redo the crappy winding job on the lighting coil I attempted by myself. It's nearly perfect now :grin: I stayed with the 20 gauge magnetic wire because an 18 or 17 gauge would fry up my lights in seconds without a VR, besides, I would have to order it. Well I bolted it up on my KDX tonight and it did way better than I was expecting! I could easily light up a whole neighborhood street at half throttle. I'm currently running both headlights 20w floods, I really like this setup and I don't think I will change it. Even the tail light is a lot brighter
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Get a voltage regulator on there ASAP! If not, you are taking a chance of blowing the bulbs.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yes, you need a VR.