I was thinking..............

Got questions? We got answers....
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

I was thinking..............

Post by rbates9 »

I have heard of many people swapping the KDX engine into a MX frame, But not yet heard of any four wheeler swaps.

How do you think a KDX engine would do in a Mojave or a Blaster frame?

My girl friend just started to take an interest in riding but only on four wheels. I did a little looking and found a few rolling blasters for cheap and thought, The Blaster goes good with an air cooled simple two stroke what if it had a liquid cooled power valved two stroke in it's place.

Just thinking right now but has any one heard of doing a KDX four wheeler?
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

It would be cool, but the first thought that pops would be "Will the clutch handle it?" It might work, but idk. I would personally use an old yamaha air cooled 250 2 stroke motor, which depending on what motor is almost a direct bolt in with the blaster chassis.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I can see what your saying about the clutch but the old Quad racers and Tecate's basically just used a dirt bike engine so it may not be an issue.
KDX's don't really have any clutch issues so it may take it.

:hmm:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

The gear ratios in the KDX trans are wrong for quads. Yamaha used basically the same engine in the RZ350 street bike as they do the Banshee. One of the main differences between the two is the gear ratios. I'm sure you could make it work but it sure wouldn't be the optimal setup. Just buy a cheap Blaster. It will be cheaper and easier.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Around here it seems there is no such thing as a cheap blaster. I looked at craigslist and the want ad and for some reason Blasters are going for about twice what a warrior goes for. And a warrior is electric start with reverse and brakes that actually work! I don't get it my self but that is the way it is.

I have rode the Mojave's before and liked them as far as ride goes. They are a little under powered and the forward kick sucks but seem to be well put together.

Any way, I was just looking to see if the KDX 4 had been done and what the results were. :partyman:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I see Blasters here in AZ go for $600 to $1000 all the time. Now Banshee's, damn, most are around $3000 even for old ones! :shock:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

The cheap rollers I was talking about was a pair for $700. WTF... Neither one runs and from the sound of the ad neither one will ever run.
JoKDX220r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoKDX220r »

You should make her try this first : http://www.e-z-ride.com/ :grin:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

She's not the type that you can make do anything! :wink:

I'm trying to get her back into riding, not piss her off. :grin:
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

I think the main issues would be the pipe and the kicker. 2- stroke quad pipes are all funky looking compared to bike pipes, so you'll have to do some hacking and welding to get the pipe right. Quads with forward kickers won't really accomodate a rear-kicking motor like the KDX very well. You'll have to trim the heck out of the right rear fender to make kicking it easier. The Blaster might work better for this reason, since it has a rearward kicker, especially if you can get a 125 kicker on the KDX motor. The nice thing about the mojave, however, is you can just plumb the motor right up to the mojave's radiator. Come to think of it, though, the mojave radiator is placed vertically, right in front of the motor, and there might not really be enough room for a KDX pipe without moving the rad. I seem to remember reading in Dirtwheels way back in the day about a Mojave with a KX250 motor in it, so it certainly is doable.

If you do it, I want to see pictures!
David Eckel
gregp

Post by gregp »

Hardly worth it, IMO. The Blaster engine runs very well, and is a proven design carried over from the older DT175 and IT200 series. I have had several, and they can be made to perform very well with mods similar to what you would have to do to a KDX motor (pipe, reed cage).
You would also have trouble sourcing a pipe to fit that application.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
kawie

Post by kawie »

i would think the pipe would be one of the simpler things to do.blaster pipe with a kdx inlet.you could try a single radiator from an older cr 250(i think it was around 97 that they used single rads).this is what ive wanted to do with my honda 300ex when it dies but it just keeps going an going.i say if you like to tinker an this is what you want to do go for it.some people have said im stupid cause i want to stick a blaster motor in a yz125 chassis.great hop up potential,low maintanence an no water cooling to deal with.
Kawie
2004 kx125
2001 kdx220
2000 kx250
1996 kx250
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

The KDX is geared for an 18" rim, but I have seen a KDX200 engine on a kart that would do 80+ so they were able to resolve that with secondary drive sprockets and still use a 6" kart rim :mrgreen: Clutch would be fine...as said quad motors are the same as bike motors generally speaking (with internal gear changes).

I'd like to put my spare WR250 motor in a quad.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project