drilled holes in airbox

Got questions? We got answers....
parker72001

drilled holes in airbox

Post by parker72001 »

last night i drilled 14 half inch holes in my airbox, just wondering if that's to much or what, exactly what does it do, my mom was freaking out, i bought a brand new bike and now i'm drilling holes in it. another thing, my air filter was covered in grease and dirt, it looks pretty bad and i think i should change it, does anyone know how much those things cost?
parker
Parker Woods, 20 years old,
'04 KDX 220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Clean and re-oil your filter (with Filter Oil from your dealer) Follow the instructions. You don't replace them unless they tear or old. Most just pitch the lid... but holes is probably better.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

most of riders clean their air filter after 1-2-3 rides. You will be surprise to see all the dirt /sand in your cleaning solution. good luck with your new bike :wink:
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
gwhII

Re: drilled holes in airbox

Post by gwhII »

parker72001 wrote:...my mom was freaking out, i bought a brand new bike and now i'm drilling holes in it.
parker
If you really want to have some fun with your mom, get out a welder or a propane torch and tell her you have a few more things to do. A hack saw or cutoff wheel usually have similar effects too. :razz:

-G
'03 KDX200 -Mine
'03 CRF230 - Daughter's
'03 XR100R - Son's
'02 CBR600F4i - Street
'63 Seagrave 531B, '42 Seagrave Aerial
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

CLEAN that filter! You wouldn't take out the spark plug and pour dirt in from the top would you? Then no need to pour it in from behind either. :grin:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXSean
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXSean »

check out No Toil filter products, they make an oil and a cleaner that you can use with water

works good, less mess

my opinion only, some would disagree I'm sure
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

:shock: As already said the filter is reuseable and if its well looked after it will last a few years at least. The filter is sponge that you have to massage oil into which in turn catches the dirt, dust and grit and holds it in the oil until you take it off and clean it. The No-Toil and Twin Air kits are both good but the No-Toil is biodegradable and you can wash down the sink. When in doubt about anything just ask, (no offence at all intended) because it sounds like you have a fair bit to learn about the world of KDX's and 2-strokes.... Hope this helps some and good luck... Trev

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I have used the cleaner from my K&N filter kit, but just the cleaner. I use the regular foam filter oil from the dealer to finish the filter. The K&N cleaner works good.

Jon.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

When you oil the filter..don't follow (most) directions. It is commonly instructed to 'soak' your filter and 'squeeze' out the excess.

Hogwarsh!!

I disagree with KDXSean (just cuz he said someone would). I disagree 'cuz NO ONE should disagree with him (and he said someone would).

OK...that was a joke....

NoToil is an excellent product. Cleaning your filter is a snap..so you'll do it more often. Use their aerosol (spray) oil...lightly spray the filter (in and out is ok), massage it in with your hands (as stated)...let it dry, put it on.

Use their rim grease too. That probably isn't a huge deal unless you ride in some nasty stuff...but cheap insurance. Rim grease is applied around the (duh) rim of the filter to ensure a leak-proof seal to the airbox.

No, you don't throw the filter away...but having an extra one or two is a good idea. Clean 'em all at once..keep the extras for spares.

You cannot clean a petro-based-oiled filter with NoToil soap. You will need to use a petro-based-cleaner on it. Gasoline is commonly used...but it is (obviously I hope) stupid to do so.

Can you say, B-O-O-M! :shock:

To tell the truth..if I was changing to a NoToil system, I would get a new filter for that very reason...keeping petro/vegetable oils separate.

Do yourself a favor...buy some latex (or nitrile) gloves to work with the filters. The NoToil spray is some sticky stuff..and it's much easier to shuck some gloves than it is trying to clean your hands afterward.

Oh...when you get some of the NoToil soap on your hands...it's going to get warm!! Don't fret...it won't take your skin off or anything. First time I used it though, I thought...'Uh oh....this may not be a good thing!!'

If you get some extra filters, consider TwinAir brand. They work well...are a bit less dense than the OEM filter. I have several filters from them...have used them for years and they're still good to go.

Another BTW...put the brass of the filter holder THROUGH the foam before you tighten the wingnut down. May seem obvious, but I've known riders that didn't do that..and the wingnut tore up the filter when it was tightened.

TwinAir also makes a cover for the airbox. You put it in in place of the filter..then you can hose down the filter box...it gets filthy, too. Be sure (if you get one'a those) that the thing actually seats AGAINST the flange. I didn't check it the first time I used it...got a carb full'a water.

Yes, it was 'made for' the KDX...they said. Had 'RM' stamped on it....

Back to drilling. Yep. It's fine. I prefer holes to having NO cover. It keeps big stuff out of the airbox..and I don't happen to care for the goose honking noise you get with the cover completely off. I've tried it both ways (holes and off)..and get no performance difference with it off..so I'll do without the noise.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 06:44 pm Jul 22 2005, edited 3 times in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

My filter oil just says start with a clean dry filter, spray inside and out, massage oil through filter until it is covered uniformly and evenly colored pink and mount filter.

What does your say? :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

http://www.motul.is/Vorur/Twinair/Twinair.htm
TwinAir wrote:
STEP 6: Oil The Filter
Soak filter in filter oil , making sure to saturate the entire filter, not leaving any dry spots.

STEP 7 : Squeeze Excess
Squeeze excess oil out of the filter so that a light coat of oil remains.
That's just for starters. Other manufacturers say the same thing..namely 'soak' and 'squeeze'. You can find a number of references to 'soak' and 'squeeze' using Google if you don't like the TwinAir reference above. :wink:

Specifically (re: 'what does yours say): Well...I don't know. I don't recall reading the directions specifically 'cuz I'm likely not going to follow them anyway.

What do I do?

What you do. Uniformly coat. Massage to distribute. Ensure everything looks the same color.

By the way..this is interesting. I'm not a dyno chart fan because they can be meaningless a lot of the time...but it's something to look at!

....sometimes images don't show up right away...so I'm never quite sure if I've goobered the syntax or not...oh well.......

*** I fixed it CC *** Indawoods

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Purdy interesting CC... Never seen a dyno on oil filters and oil! :grin:

All that tub stuff is crazy! I buy a can of filter oil and that's it! Alway have done it that way.....

I clean my filter in the sink using Dawn dishwashing liquid, Soak it, squeeze it several times in the solution (Water and dishwashing liquid) rinse it and finally squeeze all the excess water out and let it dry overnight with a fan on it. Then when it's good and dry, I put on my nitril gloves, spray the filter in and out, distribute the oil throughout the filter by massaging it... making sure it is uniform color and then stick it in a freezer bag for later use.

It's well worth have at least two filters. If ones dirty, switch em out and clean the other.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

On that dyno chart, I would have liked to see a test with no air filter.

On my filters, I wash them a few times in kerosene, then several times in Dawn and hot water. I spend a little time trying to work out the little bits that always seem to stay behind, and when I get tired of that, I wrap the filter in several layers of paper towels and give it a few gentle squeezes. After that, I get a few new paper towels, wrap it loosely (to keep the dust off), and let it set for a couple of days to dry out.

Get a big Zip-Loc bag and pour some filter oil in there, getting it completely drenched. I gently squeeze out as much excess as possible, then cut a corner out of the bag, allowing most of the excess to drain back into the bottle. Then get a bunch of paper towels and squeeze again. Slap a thin layer of grease around the sealing ring, and reinstall.

The spray on filter oil is harder to work with for me. With the "pour it out of a bottle" kind, I know it is completely drenched. I have a hard time figuring out coverage on the spray kind.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Speaking of oil filters and such...

I just got a Pro-Seal for mine.... I hate funkin' with grease everytime I gotta change out my filter. Anyone have experience with these?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

I just put a Pro-Seal on mine. I hate the grease part. Haven't run the bike since putting it on. We can compare notes. If we both need top ends right away, well....

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

What the heck is wrong with cleaning with gas. I know probably better than most on the forum how expensive it is ($50 bucks a week just in Big Red), but what does it do to the filter?

I LOVE GAS,
Thomas

**haha I think I just stole a post, my bad, looks like the first question got answered pretty well though**
its a '04 KDX 220 cadillac
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

I've always used PJ1 cleaner and oil. All I do is spray on the cleaner, let it set for about 15 minutes, hose it off, let it dry, then spray on the oil.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: what is wrong with..gas

From the standpoint of it being a means to an end? Nothing. Gasoline works great for cleaning petro-based oils from a filter.

There are some other things involved, though. Heard of MTBE? Fondly known as Methyl Tertiary-Butyl Ether, it's a rather nasty oxygenate commonly used as a gasoline additive. No, it's not now as prevalently used as in recent history, but it's still around. An EPA study of the additive found:
EPA wrote: The range of health effect responses evaluated for individuals who were exposed to MTBE is impressive.
..'impressive' isn't necessarily a good thing. :wink:

Additionally:
EPA wrote:..complaints which included headaches, eye irritation, burning sensations in the nose or throat, cough, nausea or vomiting, dizziness, spaciness (no S/A comment required) or disorientation.
BTW, 'exposed' in this case isn't specifically referring to some folks that swam in it and had an MTBE cocktail for dinner. 'Exposed' applies to drivers..the act of sitting in a car in traffic.

I'm not the MTBE god, and I have no axe to grind particularly concerning the substance other than to say that any oxygenate added to gasoline is a pile of horse biscuits (from the standpoint of performance).

The point is: Gasoline is not user-friendly stuff. Even if you use gloves to reduce skin contact, you're still breathing the stuff and it is a considerable explosive hazard (anyone that wants to chime in to say, 'Gasoline will put out a match...it's the vapors that are explosive!' can save their gas-smelly breath). The end result of cleaning something with gasoline is you have a dirty lot of gasoline that you are....going to do what with? Dump it down the sewer? Dump it down a storm drain? Dump it in the dirt? Either of those actions absolutely puts one in the 'stupid' category....besides other categories like ignorant, without conscience, foolish, moronic and generally despicable.

But then...that's just me. :razz:

Besides, one stands the chance of damaging the filter to boot. While the adhesives used in filters are supposed to stand up to fuel vapors..that isn't quite the same as a wash cycle in gasoline, 'eh?

Why not gas? For your safety, your health and everybody else's, too!

Amen. :wink:

Consider the source

IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Sooooo CC - how do you REALLY feel about using gasoline to clean used filters??

BTW - I agree with you :supz:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

That'll work CC, never heard all of those facts... seems like there should be advertisements about that stuff like there are for a pack of Camel's!

-Thomas
its a '04 KDX 220 cadillac