power issues!

Got questions? We got answers....
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

power issues!

Post by rbates9 »

So, the problem I have been having is my H 200 has this nasty habit of for some reason just running out of power. Most of the time I notice it is on a hill. I will hit the bottom of the hill and it will be running fine, I might slow down a little bit to get around something and then there is NO power at all. It will run fine, idle smooth but when I try to take off in first it act's like second or third.

I have been thru the carb, new jets, cleaned, ect. After it is done with it's hissy fit it goes right back to running good. I have even had it run out of power on a hill and turn it sideways so its flat again and it still is dead on power. A lot of clutch and it will take off and move, then run fine.

I never had this happen last year. Over the winter I sent the carb out to RB to get the work done and added VForce reeds. I'm not saying that has anything to do with it, just the history.

Any thoughts?
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Hows your kips?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

When Chris (dunno wtf his name on here is?) rode with us last year

His H had nothing on the bottom but ran great everywhere else

Turned out his kips was out of time or some ****
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

That's the first place I'd look as well.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

The KIPS seems to be working good. I tried removing the spring and ball a few months ago and it made a difference so I am thinking that it is working. I will take the plug out of the side and double check. I had the KIPS apart last fall and cleaned everything and didn't ride much over the winter.

Most of the time the bike runs good but once or twice during a ride it will pitch a fit. Sometimes it runs fine all day.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

sounds like a subvalve is either sticking or partially/mostly stripped. Just IMO of course. I can't honestly think of anything else, unless it's trash in the float bowl, which you seem to have already checked for.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

What if the float bowl has a hole in it, getting filled with gas?
kips seem more likely.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

^ that would do it too. KIPS does seem more likely, but floats can and do go bad.

Can you describe in a little more detail what it feels like when it "runs out of power"? Like drag on the engine (overheating), sputtering and drowning (flooding out)? Lean condition might seem like it's revving but not producing power. Hollow sounding...
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I have not been able to verify the kips yet but last fall when I had it apart everything looked great, mover freely and seemed snug but loose (not a lot of play but not tight). The bike had pretty low hours on it when I had bought it but had sat for years in the corner of a garage.

When I have had the float out it feels light (empty). But things can change. Also If the float had a hole in it it would fill up, hang low and I should have gas running out when it happens. Right? I do not have any issues with over flow except some times on the stand at funky angles.

Thanks for the help. Might be able to get a look later.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

When I rode chris's bike, it had top end power like a 125. Went on the pipe like it was running on nitro, but absolutely nothing on the bottom
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Plug cap snapped down tight?
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
gregp

Post by gregp »

My '04 is/was doing the same thing. It would start to blubber and pop as I approached the top end of the power band. It was driving me crazy. I checked everything I could think of, but I was unable to find anything that would cause this. I ended up re-jetting to a 38 pilot and a 142 main jet (from a 45, 155 combo). It is still a little bit rich on the very top end, but it is much, much better.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)