Ready to start after rebuild - what to look for?

Got questions? We got answers....
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Ready to start after rebuild - what to look for?

Post by turtle »

After a lengthy engine rebuild (all of it ... top end, crank, con rod, seals, etc.) my KDX is about ready to start again. I'm excited and a little nervous. I need to fill the coolant and trans, connect the wiring, install fuel tank and it's ready to fire up.

Is there anything in particular I ought to look for or be ready for when I try to fire this thing up? Is the lube in the fuel and whatever was used during rebuild sufficient or should I put a few drops of oil in the cylinder or anything like that?

I'm just trying to think ahead and anticipate any problems so I don't screw this up. I can't afford to! :rolleyes:

Thanks.
Last edited by turtle on 03:43 pm Jul 18 2011, edited 2 times in total.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Could always hold down the kill button and kick through a few times
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

You lubed the bearings and cylinder with 2 stroke oil already during the rebuild, right? Don't need much oil on the cylinder - just a light coat. Don't put any other oil in the engine besides the 2 stoke oil you normally use.

I know you mentioned it, but don't forget to refill the trans. I forgot on one bike I rebuilt until I came home from a lap around the block :) No harm done since the gears had a good amount of oil on them from reassembly.
1989 KDX 200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I used wd40 on my last put together
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Captn Kirk

Re: Ready to start after rebuild - what to look for?

Post by Captn Kirk »

>|<>QBB<
turtle wrote:After a lengthy engine rebuild (all of it ... top end, crank, con rod, seals, etc.) my KDX is about ready to start again. I'm excited and a little nervous. I need to fill the coolant and trans, connect the wiring, install fuel tank and it's ready to fire up.

Is there anything in particular I ought to look for or be ready for when I try to fire this thing up? Is the lube in the fuel and whatever was used during rebuild sufficient or should I put a few drops of oil in the cylinder or anything like that?

I'm just trying to think ahead and anticipate any problems so I don't screw this up. I can't afford to! :rolleyes:

Thanks.
Turtle:

I am firing up a '05 220R on Tuesday if the RIGHT base gasket comes this time. Cometic sent the wrong gasket in the kit. Anyway, any input before I fire this one up would be great to hear!

Kirk
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I use the "walk away" method. Check everything, all fluids, etc get the bike to the point where you're sitting on it, ready to do the first kick. Then, walk away. Grab some lunch, a beer, whatever. Take a ****, check your email, screw your wife, screw your neighbors wife, things like that work too.

Then, go back out and go through the entire check process again. It helps to have a fresh head. I do a couple "dead kicks" with the kill button held, then go for broke.
'00 KDX 220R
Captn Kirk

Post by Captn Kirk »

>|<>QBB<
Slick_Nick wrote:I use the "walk away" method. Check everything, all fluids, etc get the bike to the point where you're sitting on it, ready to do the first kick. Then, walk away. Grab some lunch, a beer, whatever. Take a ****, check your email, screw your wife, screw your neighbors wife, things like that work too.

Then, go back out and go through the entire check process again. It helps to have a fresh head. I do a couple "dead kicks" with the kill button held, then go for broke.
The owner has synthetic mix in the tank. Think that is okay to use?
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

:wink:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

Update: well, I managed to goof up the starting procedure I had in mind, hopefully not to the detriment of my engine. I wanted to kick it over a few times with the kill button pushed (good suggestion) to get some fuel mix in there and supplement whatever lube was used during the rebuild (to be clear, I didn't do the bottom end and went ahead and had the top end assembled while it was at the shop). Unfortunately, it didn't exactly happen that way.

I didn't put a lot of fuel in it just in case the tank had to come back off. I thought I put the fuel petcock on reserve, but in fact it was in the normal run position. So I kicked it over a bunch of times "dry", with no fuel mix going in. :evil: :evil:

When I finally got my head out of my rear, it started after a few kicks. It seemed to run very well during a couple break in runs. I've only done a couple heat cycles and haven't really ridden it yet. Right now I am battling a coolant leak, but we are off to do some trail riding at St. Joe State Park in MO later this week. Temps are supposed to be in the upper nineties :shock: .

So Kirk, I am not much help. I still think the idea to kick it over before starting is a good one. It just didn't work that way for me. I only hope I didn't hurt my motor. Good luck with your startup!
Last edited by turtle on 03:45 pm Jul 18 2011, edited 2 times in total.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

the **** you guys worry about cracks me up :lol:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

I feel better. I think.

Hey Wibbs, :butthead:

Now I do feel better. :grin:
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Probably gonna have to put a whole new top end in it now
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

This time I'll use WD-40 :wink:
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I think running out of fuel, when the engine is hot, while riding would be a lot harder on a bike than what you did and how often do people do that with no ill effects?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
turtle wrote:
I didn't put a lot of fuel in it just in case the tank had to come back off.
That's good thinking, since a full tank is about a WHOPPING 18 lbs!! :shock:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:>|<>QBB<
turtle wrote:
I didn't put a lot of fuel in it just in case the tank had to come back off.
That's good thinking, since a full tank is about a WHOPPING 18 lbs!! :shock:
OK, that sounds about right. What can I say? I'm used to dealing with the 7+ gallon steel tank on my Concours.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R