UI Vandal
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Wifes first Dirt Bike: KX100 or KDX

Post by UI Vandal »

Background on wife

Weight: 140
Height: 5'6"

Live in Idaho so trails vary greatly: Went riding this weekend in high desert, along mountain ridges, some sandy areas. Single track, forest roads, atv trails, wide open, etc. Everything is available and is ridden by us. Also have St Anthony's sand dunes less than 1 hour away (go 1-3 times a year). I could definitely see her getting into occasional recreational MX.

Two Wheel Experience: I purchased a NX250 (little Honda Dual Sport) as my first bike three years ago. The intention was to train myself and her, then buy myself a bigger one and hand the little one down to her. She never became super interested. She ended up getting about 10 hours of seat time on-road with it. She has scooted around yards on friends Trail 90's and pit bikes. She did well in both situations. She is confident and enjoys pushing herself.

Offroad: She has ridden three wheelers and currently has an 87 TRX250x. She loves riding her quad, but is seeing the benefits of two wheels. She has been complaining that her quad isn’t powerful enough and would like a bit more suspension.

She drives her turbo Subaru like a mad woman :roll: and refuses to drive vehicles that are automatic, unless it is a truck in off road situations (in which she beats the crud outta them).

So, for her first bike:
KX100: Add FWW, bar risers, and possibly taller seat? Make it a small tossable KDX100. I really like the low weight (easy to handle for a lady and beginner) and decent power (for her to keep from getting bored). Don’t like how she is on the upper limit for size.
KDX: Lower 1-2". I like how it could share parts with mine and that it is a full size bike that I don’t have to adjust. Downside is that she is a beginner and the extra torque and size/weight might be a little intimidating.

I don’t want to pick up an old XR200 in case it poops out while she is learning and I have to put $ into a temp bike. Plus I know once she gets comfortable I can see her getting bored (power) and frustrated (suspension) quick. Since I can find clean KX100 and KDX's for around $1k here and clean XR250 for ~$1k and XR200 for ~$700 Id rather get the better bike for a little more. Any thoughts one way or the other?

Budget is ~$1200
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

kx100 for sure, and you should have cash left over as well.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Get her a 220

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
UI Vandal
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by UI Vandal »

I have read around various websites about peoples experiences with KX100's. Anyone want to chip in with some first or second hand experience and real world pro/cons? I dont have any friends with them and since I have a KDX I have the real world experience with it. I think I am leaning towards getting her the KX100 and when she wants to step up she can get my KDX200 and I might have to find a KTM300 :mrgreen: (bud has one and it is sweeeet).

She would scrape those pink decals off first thing!
spaun
Supporting Member

Post by spaun »

Then just give her your bike and buy the ktm if thats the overall plan anyway.Aint no use in spending money twice. :roll:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
UI Vandal wrote:
Buy her a better razor or just have her wear pants :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:>|<>QBB<
UI Vandal wrote:
Buy her a better razor or just have her wear pants :wink:
:lol:
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Yz 125 or Ktm xc 144. Had a friend with wife who had 05 Yz and it was fun to ride and she was fast.
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I think at 5'6" she'd be O.K. on a stock KDX but just a little big for the KX100. At 140 you'd have to look at the springs on the KX.

She might find the KX100 a little frustrating because it does not have much grunt. Once on the pipe it really goes. I had the head machined and the carb RB'd on ours and it is much better but it is still a 100cc 2-stroke.

Has she spent much time on your KDX?
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Velocity_Stack »

If I were in your shoes, I would adjust the sag on the rear spring and bring it down to her level (a couple of inches), on your KDX that is.

Let her get some seat time and see how she feels about the power and handling.

It only takes a few minutes to adjust it and you can always bring it back up to the original setting when it's all said and done.

If she likes it, then go buy the KTM or scout a KDX for her.

She knows how a turbo feels, but I think the KX is going to hit more like nitrous.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Lowering links are cheap, but the KDX is a heavier bike to handle (even though the motor is so forgiving).
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

My .02
The stock KX 100 is under powered for a 140 rider.
The stock cylinder plating in the KX 85 & 100 is very soft and does not last very long. A good replate solves this problem.
You will spend about $200 to re-spring the KX100.
But overall the KX 100 is a very good bike, light weight, though she may feel a little cramped on it depending upon her stature. Same size as a 85 just bigger wheels.

The KDX will have more low end grunt, more ergonomic for an adult, and a nice smooth power band. Down side - may need to be lowered (easy to do), KDX's IMO are a little top heavy and handle like an old school bike, but still very nice in their own right.

You already have the KDX, let her ride it some and see what she thinks before you buy anything, that's free right?
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2006 KDX 200 (Bone stock other than Jetting, Gnarley woods, Turbine Core II)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
jth

Post by jth »

Vandal
I went throu a very similar experience as to yours. My brothers girl friend was very intimidated by the high seat of the KDX. She could not touch the ground flat footed, so we got a 02 KX100. She is a bit big for the KX (same stature as your wife), but the big problem is the lack of low-end power. The bike is good if you’re on the pipe, but way week if you’re not. She is having trouble with hills. If you attack the hill on the pipe and are quick to down shift, it goes good. If you don’t ride it like that, it’s a dog. and she is having trouble.

I am not badmouthing the 100. I understand this is a rider technique problem. It’s a nice bike, just not a good fit for us. IMO a stock 220 lowered would be much better to start. If she wants more power, RB it and she'll leave you eating dust.

Good luck

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bouillion

KX100

Post by Bouillion »

My daughter currently rides a 03 RM100 (same bike diff color). She is closer to 5'8" and weights maybe 105. Although she love the bike, in my opinion it is way too small (height wise) for her. We put 3" bar risers and a flywheel weight in it for woods riding but its her knees that practically stick up above the tank. Suspension issue will depend on how hard of a rider she is. Slow to medium trail riding and I doubt she would have any problems?

Funny thing is I offered her the hybrid I built using a 05 KX125 and the 03KDX220 and she won't leave that 100! Maybe if I put some pink plastic on it she's take me up on it?
UI Vandal
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by UI Vandal »

Went to a friends place for her to get some more seat time. She was riding a TTR225. She said it felt like a little piggy (weight and power). After I told her that both bikes (KX and KDX) have better suspension as well she said "I hope so!" Didn’t get around to putting her on my KDX before she was too tired. Plan on taking her out today after work so she can get a better idea about the powerband/size of mine. A 94 KDX just came up in the local CL for $850. Ideally I would pick up a new KTM for me, but remember the $1200 budget. Don’t see that happening. Secondly, I’d love her to feel comfortable on a full size with lower suspension. The last (safer/shorter term) option is the KX. We'll see and Ill update the wife’s thoughts after her test ride. Maybe Ill contact a local KX ad and see if we could take that for a spin.

Another reason for opting for the lighter bike is she had a L5-S1 titanium rod back fusion this spring. While she thinks she is invincible every once in a while her back lets her know otherwise. I feel that in a technical trail situation having to save a 150 lb bike would be easier than a 230 lb bike. I also keep forgetting that as far as beginner full sized bikes go the KDX is pretty light. There are some who put their wives on dual sports (~300 lb) or those little TTR piggies.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

the weight is not as important as how high the center of gravity is. I wanted my wife to be on the kdx but even lowered she could not have both feet flat on the ground and she could not keep the bike from tipping over on turns because it is kinda top heavy for her since it's so high. We went for a ttr 125 (she's new to riding)and she likes it. Very low to the ground and light. would not work in your case since your wife is taller and already used to riding.
UI Vandal
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by UI Vandal »

Yes, I have thought about that. But a KDX at the same height of that TTR225 will have both a lower weight and a lower COG. She was comfortable in putting-mode on that TTR, I just hope she will have the patience to gain experience to get comfortable in a trail situation. She is not a very patient person...

That 94 KDX is out where we will be riding this weekend, I think we'll swing in and check it out. Keep your fingers crossed the wife is comfortable with the idea of a lowered full size!
jlove1974
Supporting Member

Post by jlove1974 »

The KX100 will be fine. Also, you won't kill an XR200 no matter what you do do it besides run it out of oil....they are indestructable. But the weight is higher and it's a Honda :?

A lowered KDX2x0 would be more bike to grow in, so I would go with whatever is cheaper. The KX85/100 has more aftermarket support IMO
gregp

Post by gregp »

A bit expensive, but probably the best "wife bike" out there right now (although Husqvarna is showing a TE250 "Low"):
http://www.servicehonda.com/honda-2010-models/junior-x
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Ugh. Get them 4 strokes outta here!

My vote goes to the KDX. The kx100 or a 125 is going to be too pipey.