KX100
26%
KDX200/220
74%

Total votes: 19

spaun
Supporting Member

Post by spaun »

Im pretty sure blimpman had a kdx for sale and its a nice looking white bike hes in Florida but maybe you could work it out somehow.I know he takes care of his stuff and is a class act.Check it out mailto:blimpman@gmail.com
UI Vandal
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by UI Vandal »

>|<>QBB<
spaun wrote:Im pretty sure blimpman had a kdx for sale and its a nice looking white bike hes in Florida but maybe you could work it out somehow.I know he takes care of his stuff and is a class act.Check it out mailto:blimpman@gmail.com
Florida to Idaho is a bit too far, even for a used KDX :rolleyes: .

Well, I gave her a chance on my KDX. Took seat off, strapped pillow on top of airbox and let her loose. She liked the power and said the bike fit her well. Then came the next test, the bike lift. Remember, from July of last year until April this year she has had bad back problems from a sploderbated disc. Finally got her L5-S1 fused and a couple Ti rods in there to fix the problem. Her being able, comfortable, and willing to lift a bike was a biggie. She lifted it okay once. That night she was feeling it. Last Monday we went to the dealership to try out a KX 100. Only if her ears were further apart could there have been a bigger smile on her face. She made her choice.

Drove out to Boise to pick up a nice (and mostly KDX'd) 04 KX 100 on Friday and stayed for the weekend with friends. Went riding Saturday and Sunday and had a blast. Her bike did not limit her one bit. Next step is to drop the front sprocket one tooth, rejet (stock jetting and with our mountain riding made the bike quite spoogey), and repack the drenched silencer. Future plans are to respring the bike for her weight, Guts seat, Rox Speed FX bar risers, some protection, and bigger tank. The bike already has the FWW, FMF SA Silencer, kickstand, and brush guards. She loves her new little green machine. At each break Id ask if I could putt around on it. I am 5’10” and it is too small for me, but dang is that little pinger a hoot!
Last edited by UI Vandal on 11:35 am Jul 25 2011, edited 2 times in total.
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

That is awesome that you found something that doesn't limit her abilities!
Ride on! :supz:
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Glad she found a bike you both like!

Lots of good stuff you can do to the KX100.

It doesn't like deep water

I had RBD do the head and carb on ours. I don't know which made the biggest difference, but it is almost "unstallable". It still doesn't have much power down there but it does keep chugging.

The '95 KX125 kickstart lever bolts right on. You'll have to grind a bit on the knuckle so that it clears a part of the case but no big deal.

We found the stock pipe worked the best all around.

The suspension is great. The suspension linkage parts need regular greasing or regular replacing :lol:

Have fun!
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
UI Vandal
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by UI Vandal »

Well, after one season she is still happy with it! We have an IMS oversized tank, stiffer front and rear springs, and rebuild parts ready! Next season will focus on power with a 103cc stroker setup. What does my KDX get this year? Fresh top end and rear tire, she gets all the nice stuff!
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

I'm on a 200, and I'm about the same size as your wife ... but [almost] twice her age.

I have found that there are definitely places that I simply CANNOT get my bike out of without the help of some real muscle; but for the most part, I don't do "too" bad.

:neutral:
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
bart

Post by bart »

I'm about the same weight, little taller. 30" inseam. Coming from street bikes, just got my first dirt bike 96 KDX 200. I'll say that at first it is frustrating. The seat height is high and it can be difficult to get started again when you dump the bike. I started out in the deep end doing some pretty technical single track. The first couple rides I was wishing I got that kx100 like I was planning. Last ride I got very comfortable on the bike and I'm personally glad I didn't limit myself with a kx100. That being said, the xr200 is a great choice too! my bro has one for his wife and we all love to ride it in the hairy single track stuff. Its a very throttle friendly bike that won't limit you too much. Cr125 front swap would improve the suspension and weak front brakes.
UI Vandal
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by UI Vandal »

Did a week in Moab last week. Had a blast! Her upgraded suspension was definitely appreciated...too bad I blew a seal. Her bike is still doing great. One thing to take note of is that it is really sensitive to dirty air filters, you must stay on top of them (after each dusty ride, which there were many in So UT). There were more than a few times I would stop to wait for her to "catch up" only to have to kick mine over much sooner than expected. As my wife progresses and her bike evolves I'll update here.
UI Vandal
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by UI Vandal »

>|<>QBB<
bart wrote:...That being said, the xr200 is a great choice too! my bro has one for his wife and we all love to ride it in the hairy single track stuff. Its a very throttle friendly bike that won't limit you too much. Cr125 front swap would improve the suspension and weak front brakes.
I would have to disagree with that comparison. The XR200 is 100 pounds heavier, half the power, and poor suspension. As a play bike or a bike for a tame rider on tame terrain it might work well. Out here in ID/WY/MT when we do ~100 miles with elevation change of 6000 ft, and a wife that likes to push her abilities, I feel the KX 100 is a more capable steed.
UI Vandal
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Wifes first Dirt Bike: KX100 or KDX

Post by UI Vandal »

The season has been going well. I had a chance to ride it for a trip last week as my other machines were buddy ridden. You can definitely feel the difference with the heavier springs. Still a bit too soft for me, but much better.
UI Vandal
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Wifes first Dirt Bike: KX100 or KDX

Post by UI Vandal »

After one and a half seasons, the KX 100 is moving to a new home. It was time for a new dirt bike and the wife gave me the go to upgrade. I picked up a 2004 KTM 300 EXC. To offset upgrade costs we are selling the KX and she is moving to the KDX. The KDX is getting a fresh top end and some Kouba #2 links. I stand by that a KX 100 is great for an aggressive 60-66 inch tall 90-160 pound rider. With a handful of mods (springs, risers, etc) it was a great trail bike for the wife.