New to me '99 200... bad pics, first questions!

Got questions? We got answers....
homefront

New to me '99 200... bad pics, first questions!

Post by homefront »

Here are some very unflattering photos of the KDX 200 I picked up today. The plastics actually match better than it looks!

Anyways, I have two questions.

First, can someone recommend a good kickstand? Apparently the first owner (I'm #3) stripped the bolts.

Second, gas is spewing from the float bowl tube. This doesn't happen when I first open the tank valve, but when I stop the bike, the fuel pours out until I shut the valve. I'll investigate tomorrow... does it sound like a stuck float or a bad float valve?

More to come as I ride and service it. Looking forward to this dirt bike after 25 years of being KDXless! :wink:

Image[/img]
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Use the stock kickstand. There are a couple of aftermarket stands out there but I don't think any are as good as the stock one and I don't know if they will fit the KDX. Just use good quality heli-coils to fix the stripped threads and use the original one.

The carb issue sound like a sticking needle and/or float. Pull the carb, clean it, and you will probably be good to go.

BTW, welcome back to the world of the KDX! :supz:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
homefront

Post by homefront »

Excellent... thanks for the advice!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Not a bad looking bike!

It seems to me I saw that frame paint job in process on this board somewhere.

An incorrectly set float level may be causing your peeing. I think the procedure for setting it is in the jetting sticky.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
homefront

Post by homefront »

Thanks, Karl.

The seller said it's powder coated... sent it to Virginia IIRC.

The bike had a lot of decent parts added to it; oversize tank, skidplate, barkbusters, radiator guards, etc. The seller seemed knowledgeable and conscientious, but this fuel spewing on day 1 is not my idea of "ready to ride".

I'll pull the carb tonight to see what's up. If I have to get parts I may not be riding this weekend. :sad:
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote: An incorrectly set float level may be causing your peeing.
I would think the float needle (with rubber cone on the end) has become a little less effective over the years and just needs to be replaced or cleaned up. The tip on the needle can lose its ability to seal good, so gas just keeps coming out no matter where the float is set. I think these can be cleaned up to restore the sealing surface if you don't want to get a new needle.
1989 KDX 200
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote: There are a couple of aftermarket stands out there but I don't think any are as good as the stock one
The stock kickstand is pos imo, it bends, the hole for the pivot bolt (center of rotation) would get bigger and bigger, the spring gets loose and it rattles all the time. It would drag on small jumps (not really safe :shock: ).
I used a bigger bolt and shims and it held for awhile but I finally got rid of it when I lost the spring, I had to duct tape it to the swing arm to finish my ride.
It might be fine if it's new and you're not a very aggressive rider (ie jumps).
there are after market kickstand, you can modify (very easy) a KX made be trailtech I believe and it works better, fold higher up like and out of the way.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

there:
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... =kickstand
that's what I had on my kdx (now on my hybrid)
it's not a "bolt on" addition and requires a bit of shims, finding the right bolt... but well worth the time.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Never had my spring rattle :?

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I get crazy on my KDX, including jumps, and have never heard my kickstand/spring rattle or have it come down on me. Like I mentioned in another thread about the kick lever, a little maintenance would go a long way. In other words, clean and lube the damn thing once in a while before it ever gets bad. :mrgreen:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Or do what I did and go down to Ace Hardware and buy the biggest baddest spring they have
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
homefront

Post by homefront »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:there:
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... =kickstand
that's what I had on my kdx (now on my hybrid)
it's not a "bolt on" addition and requires a bit of shims, finding the right bolt... but well worth the time.
Great... saw that style on a new Husky WR250 I almost bought and thought it was a great design.

Between new riding gear, bike parts and bike supplies my debit card is getting a workout. :neutral:
homefront

Post by homefront »

Pulled the carb, checked the float valve (looked perfect), schpritzed all the holes with carb cleaner, reassembled... no more gas pouring out of overflow tube.

On startup from cold, no choke, it revved a little for a good minute or so. Rode it around my 2 little acres for several minutes ("Give me warp 5 Mr. Sulu!") and was pleased over all with the engine. Boy, this puppy can move! After the first easy lap it idled normally in neutral.

The chassis is surprising too. Compared to my old '84 this thing turns with confidence and surefootedness. Can't wait to do some some bunny hops!

So far I think this machine is all the seller said it was; I'll report in after the first good ride. :please: