kdx radiators

Got questions? We got answers....
SCREAM

kdx radiators

Post by SCREAM »

Just thought I'd share some awesome news with the fellow shunned kdx'ers. Warp 9 no longer carries radiators for our bikes. Kevin at warp 9 told me that "although the kdx is a great bike, it's going by the wayside". A shared sentiment by many companies it would seem, as less and less parts become available for our perennial machines. It's frustrating and sad. Guess I'll start the arduous search on fleabay.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

For E or H series bike? I know they list that they have the H series rads but not the E's.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
SCREAM

Post by SCREAM »

not anymore, for either
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Damn, that's a bummer. I was thinking of springing for a set. However, I don't blame them. It is not profitable to make them for bikes that the newest of which are now 6+ years old and was never as popular as the MX bikes.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

No biggie it's not like they were ever needed, unless you just like wasting money :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

No, it's not like wasting money if you need radiators. They are discontinued for the E series and list for over $275 each :shock: for the H series through Service Honda. Warp 9's radiators at $219 a set were a good deal for brand new units with improved cooling capacity. Even better when you figure in most of the beat up used junk people try to sell you on Ebay with crushed fins/tubes and corrosion for $60, $80, or even over a $100 each side!

Right now my right rad is partially separated and bent from the inner mounting bracket/flange. There is no way to get it back into alignment without destroying the core. I guess I'm just going to try to find a rad shop that will work on bike radiators in Tucson and pray they don't screw it up.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

plenty of good usable rads on ebay any time I ever look

I paid $40 for mine including all the hoses
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
SCREAM

Post by SCREAM »

>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:No, it's not like wasting money if you need radiators. They are discontinued for the E series and list for over $275 each :shock: for the H series through Service Honda. Warp 9's radiators at $219 a set were a good deal for brand new units with improved cooling capacity. Even better when you figure in most of the beat up used junk people try to sell you on Ebay with crushed fins/tubes and corrosion for $60, $80, or even over a $100 each side!

Right now my right rad is partially separated and bent from the inner mounting bracket/flange. There is no way to get it back into alignment without destroying the core. I guess I'm just going to try to find a rad shop that will work on bike radiators in Tucson and pray they don't screw it up.
exactly my thoughts
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:plenty of good usable rads on ebay any time I ever look

I paid $40 for mine including all the hoses
For a pair, undamaged? Yeah, I see usable ones for $25-$30 each sometimes but that doesn't mean they are in good shape. I don't ever see any in good shape for less than what I mentioned before and it is always for just one side.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

deals are out there if you just look

I bought these before I needed them, could not pass it up for $40 shipped

All looked brand new

Actually my old rads worked fine they were just bent all up
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

Or send your fleeBay finds or old radiators to Myler's in Utah.
$35 or so, and they are straightened, cleaned, fixed, pressure tested, and good to go. I picked up a spare set for my other Green bike for next to nothing, had them serviced at Myler's. Easy. They can fix the worst looking damage.
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

They still make the kx500 radiators, and I'd bet they'd work with a little tinkering. I know the radiators off of an 89 kx250 worked on one of my kdx's and the kx500 series continued to share the same chassis as the 89 kx250 until they quit making them.

I just looked at pair on ebay, and right side looks the same - same hose locations and angles, the left side looks the same on top but the bottom is angled slightly upward rather than straight out. That shouldn't be a problem... the lengths look the same too.

I remember I lunched the radiators on a 97 KDX years ago, and pulled the radiators off of an 89 KX250 I had, to get by. The 89 KX250 shares the same plastics as the kx500 and the KDX shrouds hooked up. I don't remember the details of the installation but I know it was just a bolt-up affair.

If someone has a KX500 or knows someone with one, it'd be cool to see if they'd fit without a lot of hassle.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:deals are out there if you just look

I bought these before I needed them, could not pass it up for $40 shipped

All looked brand new

Actually my old rads worked fine they were just bent all up
That certainly was a good deal. I have been keeping my eyes open for a good right side but nothing has popped up yet.

>|<>QBB<
barryadam wrote:Or send your fleeBay finds or old radiators to Myler's in Utah.
$35 or so, and they are straightened, cleaned, fixed, pressure tested, and good to go. I picked up a spare set for my other Green bike for next to nothing, had them serviced at Myler's. Easy. They can fix the worst looking damage.
I might have to give them a call. Thanks for the info!

>|<>QBB<
kawagumby wrote:They still make the kx500 radiators, and I'd bet they'd work with a little tinkering. I know the radiators off of an 89 kx250 worked on one of my kdx's and the kx500 series continued to share the same chassis as the 89 kx250 until they quit making them.

I just looked at pair on ebay, and right side looks the same - same hose locations and angles, the left side looks the same on top but the bottom is angled slightly upward rather than straight out. That shouldn't be a problem... the lengths look the same too.

I remember I lunched the radiators on a 97 KDX years ago, and pulled the radiators off of an 89 KX250 I had, to get by. The 89 KX250 shares the same plastics as the kx500 and the KDX shrouds hooked up. I don't remember the details of the installation but I know it was just a bolt-up affair.

If someone has a KX500 or knows someone with one, it'd be cool to see if they'd fit without a lot of hassle.
Good info. I also know the E and H series rads are almost identical. The only differences being the upper radiator mount is moved up on the H series and the louver mounts are different. A bracket could easily be fashioned to make either bolt on the other model and I don't use the louvers myself.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:these look decent

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-Kawas ... _500wt_755
Decent but still tweaked on the right one. I looked at everyone on there and there are none that are not damaged in some way for under $60.

Eh, I'll just keep my eyes open and if I don't find one by the time I'm ready I'll just have mine rebuilt.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

not tweaked enough to worry about

Never gonna stay straight anyway

:roll:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Eh, I know for all practical purposes it will work fine but I just want it nice for my build.
'11 GasGas EC250R
SCREAM

Post by SCREAM »

Me too SS109, everything else on my rebuild is going to be new or look new. I don't want shitty rads as an eyesore on an otherwise immaculate bike. I did find some works connection rad braces on ebay last night and jumped on those immediately. Should save me from future headaches
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

don't forget the "My Little Pony" stickers
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:don't forget the "My Little Pony" stickers
Why? I don't want it to look like your bike! :mrgreen:

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with having a nice looking bike. I have never had a new bike in my life or even a brand new car/truck. I want my build to be the way I want it and I want it to be like new. That may not be what you like, or what you think is worth spending money on, but it is my bike, my money, and my desire to have it that way.
'11 GasGas EC250R