Shifting issue

Got questions? We got answers....
bmann

Shifting issue

Post by bmann »

Hey all, hope everyone's summer is going well. Anyways just got back from a 10 day riding trip in Kamloops BC (awesome area), and midway thur the trip in the middle of the ride the girlfriends 89 got stuck in 4th gear. Clutch was fine, but moving the shifter up or down did nothing, shifter would move easily enough but would not engage. Nursed the bike back to the camp spot, loosened the shifter, and moved a tad away from the cases and - tada no more problems. Went on five more hard trail rides and nothing. As great as it was to get the bike going so easy, what do you think caused the problem in the first place? After being rebuilt last year the bike has ran great for a heap of hours with no shifting issues ever, so i am a little puzzled.
Thanks in advance
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

make sure the shifter is not bent. I had that before where it wouldn't shift, turned out it was hitting the case. The metal for the stock shifter is really soft and easy to bend.
bmann

Post by bmann »

That makes sense, sometimes I think I look for the hardest solution possible :roll: . Thanks for the advice.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yep, been there, done that! A bent shifter is all it was.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Been single-track sledding up there....Has to be awesome on a KDX. :supz: :partyman:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
bmann

Post by bmann »

It sure is, alot of blow down this year though so the fitness got tested. A ton of 1-3 gear terrain (at least for me). Just what the kdx likes :mrgreen: .