Bigfoot CAPTURED!!!

Got questions? We got answers....
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bigfoot CAPTURED!!!

Post by dfeckel »

We've all heard the tales, the descriptions, the legends...but we've never definitively seen, let alone captured for study, the E series KIPS subvalve Bigfoot, also known as Juliend's mythical KIPS reinforcement plate. I am ecstatic to announce that I've captured not just one of these plates, but two, and I have photographic proof!!!!!

This all began with my basket case 1994 KDX 200 that I originally bought for parts, but decided I would resurrect for cheap and give to my buddy.
There were a couple problems on the transmission, so I had to tear down the motor and split the cases. The powervalves were absolute trash, the worst I've ever seen. Basically broken for decades and left to tumble around in their journals until they were turned into little aluminum marbles. So I got the die grinder out and removed the remnants of the subvalves that had melted onto the ports and cleaned up the journals enough to receive new sub valves. Once everything was installed and timed, I was having a lot of binding in the pushrod because the retaining screw wouldn't hold the guide square to cylinder.

Here is how it's supposed to sit.

Here is how much it moves even with the seating screw fully tightened.

The solution--Bigfoot in the flesh!!!!
I made the plate out of some aluminum I had bought to make my hybrid headstays last year. I made a rubbing of the seating surface using paper and a crayon, and then I was able to transfer the hole centers onto the aluminum with a punch. A few holes drilled on the drill press, a little coping saw action, and a little dressing up with files and sandpaper, and Bob's yer uncle!

You have to remove the c-clips that hold the collar at the end of the shaft so that you can slip the plate on, and then reassemble the shaft. I used a little gasket maker between the plate and the cylinder, and I used the paper gasket between the cover and the plate.

Now, the shaft is much more stable, and the valves don't bind anymore. While I was at it, I made another for my hybrid. I'm pretty sure it has a broken sub valve less than 30 hours after they were all new.

Anyhow, it's nice to finally have the Bigfoot conspiracy theories sasquached. I mean squashed. Enjoy! Thanks for Juliend for passing on the idea, and special thanks to my daughter Lilly, who helped immeasurably with the photography!
Last edited by dfeckel on 02:56 pm May 01 2018, edited 1 time in total.
David Eckel
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Bigfoot CAPTURED!!!

Post by SS109 »

>|QBB<[/url]
dfeckel wrote:Image
Bigfoot? That looks more like a munchkin to me! Oh, you mean the plate. Ah, it can't be real. It's photoshopped for sure as no one has ever seen the elusive juliend KIPS support plate! :mrgreen:

On a serious note, thanks for posting that up so now we finally can see the idea behind it.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Hmm glad mine does not have play in it like that
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Hmm glad mine does not have play in it like that
Mine doesn't either. It is very tight and all my KIPS valves look near perfect.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

LOL. Looks perfect man! Better than mine, so I'm glad i never posted a picture of that ugly ass thing.

Ya'll abovce might want to double check wether yours has play or not. 3 E series bikes i've checked all had the same play in that bushing/sleeve/collar whatever you wanna call it. One screw is just not enough to secure it.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

mine does not
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

A little followup to this--I added another hole to the Bigfoot Plate so the set screw can help hold the plate down. One more source of clamping force to hold the rod guide square can only be a good thing. I'll get a picture of it when I install the new valves in my hybrid motor.
David Eckel
stomlinson

Post by stomlinson »

My e is tight with no play either but better safe than sorry, im makin one too
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

So I finally quit being lazy and took the pipe off today to get a look at the subvalves. Seemed it was down on top end power the last couple rides. And yeah, RH subvalve is stripped. Have to clean the bike up real good and pull the jug off. Might be the idler gear, or the RH subvalve. Definitely got more use out of them this time though!!

Le broken!! :cry:

I wonder how it runs with the center and LH subvalve only? Might have to find out. Have a stud pulled out of the cylinder as well. Time for timesert I guess...

grumble.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

That sucks. I haven't been riding my hybrid much lately, so I don't have anything to report aobut the longevity of the sub valves with the support plate. Hopefully I get extended time as well. However, if/when they go agiain, I'll be putting an H motor in the hybrid.
David Eckel