KDX Jetting Questions

Got questions? We got answers....
Rod Smith
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

KDX Jetting Questions

Post by Rod Smith »

I am going to be heading out to Colorado to the Rainbow Trail in the Salida area in August. Rode it once before about three years ago with my oldest son and now the middle son is going along also. I have changed my bike some since then and I was wondering if anyone has any jetting ballpark ideas. We will be going from 8,000-13,000 feet.

2000 KDX 220 Carb and head were RB’d but I still use pump gas. FMF Gnarly woods pipe and a Turbine Core Q silencer

2004 KDX 200 FMF Gnarly Woods Pie with a Turbine Core Q silencer.

2004 KDX 220 Pro Circuit Pipe and Silencer

2005 KLX 300 We are in the process of dual sporting this but we are taking it for a back up bike. If anyone has any ideas on this one too I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for the responses. And by the way we went on a 200 and a 220 last time and both bikes boiled over some. Figured we were just moving too slow to get enough air though.
2000 KDX 220
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I ride at the same altitudes, and my 220 is set up with the same stuff except I use the stock silencer, and a DF3 reed cage. I think I have a 145 main and a 40 pilot, but I'm not positive though. I'll check and let you know.

edit- That would be the 2000 220, and mine does not yet have the head mod. Mine boils all the time when I go slow, I'm hoping a switch to Evans coolant will solve that. Welcome to no atmosphere. Bring coolant with you. I have to top up at break time.

Also be aware that it's been stupid-hot here, so bring camelbacks for everybody and use them. Fighting the altitude and heat will be a challenge. If you have kids in your group, watch them for signs of altitude sickness, they can seem fine and then tank on you. They seem to ignore symptoms until they can't function anymore. Coming from low altitudes to 10,000' or greater and exerting yourself can be a problem. If someone goes south on you the most effective action is to keep them hydrated while you get them down to a lot lower elevation (like 5000')
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Evans will be shipping soon. I needed to find adaquate boxing material.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Cardboard works well! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

No rush Ski. BTW, Did anyone mention what a great guy Ski is? :supz:
Mike

'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What are the signs of altitude sickness? :blink:

Highest I've ever been is 6,000 feet in the Smokies....

*** EDIT ***

Nevermind... I found this site:

http://www.high-altitude-medicine.com/AMS.html
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Colorado Mike wrote: BTW, Did anyone mention what a great guy Ski is? :supz:
Not sure, :rolleyes: but he sure is a top bloke aint he ?!?!?! :lol:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Good link Vince. When I used to climb I saw quite a few people that didn't even know what was happening to them. You have to take control of a person in that state before they do something stupid and walk into a crevass. Pulminary edema is when the lungs fill with fluid, and obviously that's bad since the victim is already having problems getting enough oxygen before this happens. The person coughs so hard that they can break their own ribs. Nasty way to go.
Mike

'04 KDX220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

To stave off altitude sickness, especially when you don't have days to acclimate to the thin air, over hydrate and take ibruprofin (sp?). Early symptom will be a headache. Hyperventalate when over exerting yourself and get a good night's sleep the night before. Take your time getting up off the ground when you fall or you could pass out, and fall again. I've had NFL linebackers in beginner ski lessons too weak to pick their butts up off the snow. If altitude can turn a NFL player into a kitten, it can get you too.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

One of the symptoms of altitude sickness is you start saying things that sound odd...things like 'top bloke' and such.......

Make sure you don't have any '7' plugs in your bikes. That won't help the heating situation.

Jetting a tad rich (as opposed to spot-on) will result in a cooler running bike. It won't matter a whole lot..but maybe every little bit will help.

You can add some rc-20 (Castrol brand of cooling stuff) to distilled water for extra insurance. Doesn't Evan's require complete evacuation of water from the system? Some of that 'dyno-whoppin' stuff does. That's a hassle when you boil over and you have nothing but water (maybe from your hydrator) to put in. THEN you're defeating the purpose of the stuff that's in there.

You've been there before, so you maybe know a lot of this already, but...a repeat for emphasis...going from Kansas to Colorado is a big jump up!! Take care to ensure you have a good time riding..as opposed to a lousy time falling off some cliff 'cuz you're lightheaded!!

Of course...there will be pics...????

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!