should i replate?

Got questions? We got answers....
dgraver

should i replate?

Post by dgraver »

so im pretty sure i know they answer.. yes.. but just want to make sure before i send it to langcourt for new wiseco/replate. Its and 03 200 with what looks to be a stock cast piston.

scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

doesn't look too bad. can you feel any ridge/lip with your fingernail? any groove/scratch anywhere?
Plating looks a bit thin on the bridge.
Might be borderline for 1 season, depends on how hard and how much you ride...
If you got the $$$ to do it, do it. better safe than sorry :wink:
dgraver

Post by dgraver »

well dont neccesarily have the extra $ but i ride yeah round and as hard as i can.. i feel like i should, just for peice of mind.. plus im pretty much doing everything else right now
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Need to get a better pic of this

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
dgraver

Post by dgraver »

possibly lint but i just double checked that and it doesnt appear to be anything.. no groove when i slide over it with my nail.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'd like to see it after a green scrubbie, some wd40, and a buttload of elbow grease. Or take the easy way and clean it with muriatic acid (carefully!). I bet it cleans up pretty good.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Just thinking out loud, what do you suppose would happen if one were to lay the "green scrubbie" around the entire inside and use something like a three stone hone to spin it? :hmm: Would it get the high spots, or over scrub the good spots?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

A hone won't do anything good to a plated 2t cylinder. No way, no how. Worst case, it grabs the plating at the port openings and chips it away, best case, it does pretty much nothing.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I meant to use the spring pressure of the hone to spin the scrubbie. Not to hone the plating. (Stones don't touch the plating.) Basically just using the hone to do the scrubbing instead of you elbow.
dgraver

Post by dgraver »

so to my untrained eye this thing looks beat up.. how do those vertical 'striations' for lack of a better term not effect anything? also the edges of the ports are kinda rounded; is that a big deal?

on a side note im soooo excited to get this all done. I still have a TON of work to do.. but i havent ridden in like a month and im anxious!! cant wait til i feel the difference a rb head/carb mod and kx forks makes to my little 2 hundo.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

What do you expect the cylinder to look like after a piston has been going up and down in there about a gazillion times

Hit it with some scotchbrite and get back to us :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
gregp

Post by gregp »

To me, it looks just fine. I would buff it up, skip any re-plate attempt, and shoot for a C or D sized piston (unless you go with a Wiseco, who does not offer different sizes)
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

It's a 220. A "C or D sized piston" would be stock or pro-x, both a bad idea for a 220. Wiseco is the only way to go.

not a bad idea on using the hone to spin the scrubby pad. Save some elbow grease anyway! Pretty sure I got arm pump cleaning the cylinder last time, lol.
gregp

Post by gregp »

Sorry, I did not see that it was a 220. Yes, a Wiseco is recommended.
Edit - Wait a minute, here, the OP says it is an '03 200.....?
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

lol, must have got my threads confused. If it's a 200, a stock or pro-x is fine. I would still prefer a wiseco though.
dgraver

Post by dgraver »

ok so now im even more confused... i thought for sure you guys were going to say get it plated.

so im going to add up how much all the stuff iwant to do and if i have the extra money, im just gonna do it.. will keep yoiu posted and thanks for everyone help.
gregp

Post by gregp »

Don't be confused. Some of us demand *perfection*, and some of us (me) only demand "good enough". Sure, if you have the scratch and the desire, go ahead and send it out for a re-plate job, but, IMO, that cylinder looks just fine to run for a long time to come.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

OK, I'll be the one to say go ahead and re-plated. IMO, it looks to be getting near the end of it's service life. Also, do you plan on tearing apart the top end anytime soon again? If not, get it plated!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
dgraver

Post by dgraver »

ill be back in there in probably 6months-1yr to clean the kips up.. other than that hopefully not.

still debating.

I added up everything that i want right now and its about $950 more all together, so not sure yet...
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I bet ya haven't even scotchbrited the damn thing yet have ya?
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))