A couple of issues with my 220's

Got questions? We got answers....
Road Dawg
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

A couple of issues with my 220's

Post by Road Dawg »

I have a 98 and an 03 KDX 220. I think my clutch went in the 03. It was whining pretty bad and when I attempted to shift gears, it was really hard.

I am thinking either my clutch went or a clutch spring broke. I haven't torn it apart yet. I've never torn this apart so I am a little worried.

2nd issue, the 98 ran fine and then started to bog out and foul plugs. I am thinking my carb is gunked up so I'm gonna tear that apart as well. Again, I've never done this before so I am worried.

So what is the best replacement clutch?

I am not looking for a Recluse, they're too expensive. Moose or whoever makes a good replacement and what all do I need to do the job?

Also, what do you suggest about the carb?

Should I buy a Rejetting Kit when I clean the thing and what would you all suggest?

I live in Penna. and where I usually ride is about 1800 feet above sea level.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am subscribed to the online manual, so I'll have that for reference.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
big gear head

Post by big gear head »

I'm interested in the clutch problem too. I had my '98 220 out Saturday morning and I noticed that my clutch is slipping. I see some posts about clutch baskets, but I don't have any idea what the issue is with them. I changed the oil in mine to ATF and this was the first time I rode it. I don't know if the ATF has anything to do with it slipping or not, but it looks like I also might be buying a new set of clutches.
'98 KDX220
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

some clutch don't like atf, flush it and replace with non energy saving cheapo oil, good to go.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
big gear head wrote:I'm interested in the clutch problem too. I had my '98 220 out Saturday morning and I noticed that my clutch is slipping. I see some posts about clutch baskets, but I don't have any idea what the issue is with them. I changed the oil in mine to ATF and this was the first time I rode it. I don't know if the ATF has anything to do with it slipping or not, but it looks like I also might be buying a new set of clutches.

Did you try adjusting it?

Did you warm up the bike?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
big gear head

Post by big gear head »

I don't want to hijack Road Dawg's thread. I noticed it slipping after I had been riding for a while. I'm going to change the oil before I tear into it, but I was interested in seeing what clutch people would recommend. Also, how much wear does the clutch basket get and what would cause it to need to be replaced? I was going to start my own thread, but RD started this one and I was just going to follow along. I'm hoping that RD will post pictures as he gets into this.
gregp

Post by gregp »

I like to use OEM plates and springs. I have had trouble with aftermarket brands (Barnette, Vesra, etc). Avoid "Heavy Duty" springs - they can cause flexing of the pressure plate that manifests itself as clutch drag.
JMO!
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

There are threads around on the clutch basket. What happens is that the "fingers" get notches in them where the edges of the plates make contact. Not a big deal and takes quite a few years to happen. I've succesfully filed the notches out and gone on for a few more years.

If the clutch is slipping because of worn clutch plates they can be replaced by just taking the outer clutch cover off. I've used XR400 plates instead of OEM. In fact, I think I've got a mix in there right now - the inner three are XR400 and the outer ones are OEM. The inner ones seem to wear faster than the outer ones.
Also, what do you suggest about the carb?

Should I buy a Rejetting Kit when I clean the thing and what would you all suggest?

If it was running O.K. before I would not buy a kit. I'd clean the carb, take note of what jets are in there and refer to one of the KDX jetting guides to see where you stand. Sometimes you just can't get the junk out of those jets and the only thing to do is replace them.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
kdx633
Supporting Member

Post by kdx633 »

I use oem parts for the reasons stated above.As for the fouling issue, if it is anything like it is here in Illinois the temp/humidity are to blame.clogged jets would make for a leaner mixture.We all know the rule for jetting"just because this jet work's in my bike doesn't mean they are correct for yours"If you are running a stock set up try dropping to a 140/38 for temps above 85.This is the range my 220 liked best when stock.
Road Dawg
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Road Dawg »

Thanks for all the imput. I appreciate it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell