difference between gnarly woods and gnarly desert

Got questions? We got answers....
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Sounds good, But SkiPro is sending me some Evans. It has a crazy-high boiling point. I'm gonna give that a go, or rename my bike to "Thomas the Tank Engine".
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Just plug the holes and go air cooled! No one thought of that now did they? :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Hey Mike, hasn't the Evans arrived yet? It should be there by now. UPS.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Indawoods wrote:I'll have to measure mine tonight but I think mine is around 11" and it's a REV K-30. But, Mine was one of the first ones off the assembly line so that may not mean a whole lot.
Well CC... looking at your pics... Mines a "Woods" pipe then. It is stamped K-30, think they would replace it? I have the receipt from 1995! No wonder that pipe guard wouldn't fit eh? :roll:

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Inda:
I can see from the photo that isn't a rev pipe. They are much fatter than that. It looks just like my woods -35 pipe. Man, FMF has some bad ass weed down there in SoCal they are smokin' in the pipe marking department.

When I rode with CC, it was very plain to see the differences. BTW very clean bike.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

She still revs out to the moon though! I guess I'm happy with a woods pipe then. You'd think you could trust what is actually stamped on parts... geesh!

Thanks Ski...
With this broken foot I've had nothing to do but clean and tweak. She's all ready for LBL.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

My 220 revs to the moon with the -30 woods pipe too. It has tons of torque down low, builds mildly up to when the KIPS kicks in, then HAANG ONNNNN!!!!!!!! My bike will easily pull high speed wheelies. It's dangerous at upper rpms to open the throttle wide.

I've got a Fatty pipe off eBay and will try that out some day with a report to follow.
Jerry

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Ski,

Nope, haven't seen it yet. I ordered some stuff from Rocky Mountain and looked at the tracking info. Their stuff should be here today, so maybe I'll get the coolant too. If you still have the tracking #, PM it to me and I'll look into it.

-edit- I re-read your PM about sending it, and it sounds like you mailed it. If that's the case, our mail is slow here. In your message in this thread it sounds like it went United Parcel Service, they're pretty fast. The stuff I ordered from Rocky Mtn. on Tuesday is "out for delivery" today according to UPS's tracking info.

Thanks again for sending it.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Here... check these out!

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Is "050195" the date it was made? Maybe there was no fatty,rev,torque,woods,desert,K-30/K-35, etc. back then???

Maybe I should check my pipes for a possible date code.... yep, 040495 K-14 (it's a 1989 - 1994 pipe for those who are wondering)
Last edited by Anonymous on 04:38 pm Jul 28 2005, edited 2 times in total.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It says K-30 KDX right on it! Tell ya what.... that's a damn good quality pipe to have lasted 10 years!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The "K-30/K-35" portion of my comment was that there may have been no K-35 back in 1995. As we all know, PC did not start making the PC Platinum 2 until maybe 2 or 3 years ago, though they had ONE pipe for the 1995 and newer KDX's for many years.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

True! Could be... So you think this is a compromise pipe design?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Surely someone has an old Dennis Kirk catalog, or an old Dirt Rider or Dirt Bike magazine. I have a few old ones, but I think they are from right before the H came out.
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

At least your pipes have numbers stamped on them, mine doesn't :(
03 220R
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Flax: You know there is no number stamped because...why?

It's not always on the same tab...and it's not always visible with the pipe mounted (may be on the 'back' side of the tab.

Unless you have taken the pipe off and looked on both sides of both tabs...you may have missed it.

FmF has messed up more'n once in more than a few ways.

Inda:

Did I miss the measurement of your pipe someplace? Is it different from the two I listed?

And your e-line...I know it's on the board someplace...but humor me? I recall (I think) you saying the curve was not right..but what about the larger part of the guard..bigger or smaller than what you needed?

That's a bit iffy anyway. My FRP guard was a quite tight fit to my -30. I had to 'seat' it with a rubber mallet.

The k-35 is listed as going back to '95 on the e-line site.

BTW...I've said this before...but I've seen an FmF Fatty on an 'H' 220. Don't know what the mounting tab said..but the pipe said 'Fatty' right on it.

Compromise pipe? Ha! You should be so special, Inda!!

Nah! You're just one of the not so few but maybe still proud members of the group 'FmF Loves ME!'

Yeah...you GOTTA get the real -30 pipe. Just for fun!!

re: lasting ten years

Well...considering how much it's ridden............... :roll:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

I did pull the pipe and there are no numbers on the mounting tabs.
03 220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I am going to remeasure the pipe again.... but the design should say something. The main shape was incorrect on the Eline... it had more rise at the bell than what my pipe is...and was bigger.... otherwise it followed the beginning and ending shape fine....

re:"Amount it's ridden"

Yeah... proly wasn't ridden much but I guarantee it wasn't maintained! I haven't been able to get out as much as I like this year with surgeries and broken foot, But the rest of the year I will.

I am going to chuck my membership to the local private club because it just doesn't have anything to offer me. I am however going to get a membership to South Fork next year at 4 times the price. I can have more than 4 times the fun there so it's a bargain. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: 'had more rise at the bell than what my pipe is...and was bigger'

..as does a rev pipe from FmF. You know..the -30 profile. :rolleyes:

The torque pipe has less of a curve (call it 'slower') than the rev pipe. If the rev followed the same curve as the torque it would stick out even more than it does already!!

...and it sticks out plenty far enough.

So...got your rev pipe on order, Inda? You know...a -30? :razz:

This is a jack of a hijack...but..Inda: You and the rest of the middle of the country guys that like woods riding...you guys gotta come out here and spend a week. Bring your bike and some gas...we'll feed you....give you a place to throw a sleeping bag..and maybe even throw in some MediQuick for your sure to be monkeyed butt!! I'll guarantee the rides of your life (given that you're pretty much used to riding 'fly-over' country anyway).

Get-r done! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I can have more than 4 times the fun there so it's a bargain
You think? The trails are short at Oakley, but are far more technical. When putting around by myself, I really enjoyed that place! SF's good for groups of people when we aren't afraid to flog it. SF scares me by myself because it so non-technical you just want to haul, and that could be bad w/o a fellow rider. IMO.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project