New kdx owner

Got questions? We got answers....
Sausigekle

New kdx owner

Post by Sausigekle »

I've got a couple of questions. Where is good starting point for the air screw?
What's the best gas oil ratio for a stocker with a fatty pipe and fmf powercore? Just got this 01 kdx 200 in like new shape but it has been sitting in a quonset for six years. There were mice in the air box and the silencer packing was completely gone, spoo poured out on my first test ride. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Stuffnthings
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

oil mix: pic one and JET ACCORDINGLY
jetting:
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1156
Air screw setting: read above :wink:
Sausigekle

Post by Sausigekle »

Thanks for the info, a lot of help. Is there any instructions for jetting the carb? It's running better but I'd like to learn to jet it myself. No bike shops around here so it's going to be all me. What jets should I get to start? I'd need an assortment correct?
Stuffnthings
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Disassemble your carb and see what you have, read the jetting guide, and adjust jets sizes accordingly.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Sausigekle

Post by Sausigekle »

Okay pulled carb apart, checked jets, needle was on center clip moved up one to see what it does. Carb is actually surprisingly simple bike started on second kick! Anyway I ride at around 3100-4500 feet elevation, 60-80 degrees f , the main is 160 pilot is 48, I've read the jetting stuff, but would like input as to where I need to be. Just double checking everything so I don't cause any problems. Thanks for your help guys. This is a great site. Useful info on the web? What?
Stuffnthings
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

go down a size or two on the main and do a plug chop

if you don't know what that is, google it
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Sausigekle

Post by Sausigekle »

That's informative? I'm asking about the jet size that you would recommend starting with. I live 120 miles from the nearest goofball bike shop. So I'll have to order a selection of jets. Thanks though I know google is super?
Stuffnthings
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

He can't tell you what jet to start with if he doesn't know the general jetting for your elevation, temp, mods, etc. He would have to research it just like you would have to. So, why should he have to research something for you when you can do it yourself?

Anyways, here is a link to a KDX jetting thread listing what people use in their areas: http://www.thumper talk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579364 (just take the space out between "thumper" and "talk")
'11 GasGas EC250R
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

i love it when people ask a question and then give attitude when we help them out :butthead:
ChubbyWookie

Post by ChubbyWookie »

OEM reccomendation for oil is 32:1

The last thing you should do is go fididling with the carb settings. The OEM setup on a KDX will run great pretty much anywhere. Having just a pipe and silencer you shouldn't need to adjust anything on the carb. Also if your ruining a synthetic oil you generally run a higher fuel to oil ratio.

OEM air screw 1.25 - 1.5 out
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
ChubbyWookie wrote:OEM reccomendation for oil is 32:1

The last thing you should do is go fididling with the carb settings. The OEM setup on a KDX will run great pretty much anywhere. Having just a pipe and silencer you shouldn't need to adjust anything on the carb. Also if your ruining a synthetic oil you generally run a higher fuel to oil ratio.

:hmm:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

32:1 is fine and leaving the jetting stock is also fine, your bike will run but it will run rich (read safe from factory). HOWEVER, if you want to get the most out of your bike you NEED to jet your bike properly and take into account your bike mod, altitude and temp. If you follow the jetting guide (easy), you'll be good to go, better performance AND safely...
I don't have a clue where you get your (mis)-info about synthetic...
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<

Wow. Please don't repeat this advice again. Jetting is probably the single most important performance tool for a 2 stroke engine. If you own one, you should learn to jet it! The manufacturer wants the bike to run safely for most conditions, so the factory jetting is pig rich. If you are at sea level, no mods, the stock jetting might be close. Still going to be on the rich side though.
Sausigekle

Post by Sausigekle »

Hey there it's mr attitude. I got the bike out for some chop tests and about 40 miles of riding, out on some nice river and section roads. I noticed a stumble at about 1/8 throttle plug was black, 1/4 through 3/4 tan plug ran like a rocket, wot still rocket but dark plug and mad spooge by the way no spooge in mid range, so I'm assuming the needle clip moving up cleaned the middle so a swap of smaller pilot and main jets will clean up the top and bottom? I totally buy into carb tuning by the way since these guys have been helping out I've got twice the bike. Thanks :mrgreen:
Stuffnthings
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Sounds like you are on the right track.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<

Now that was informative

:lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

lol. I'm "mr attitude" now? I like that. Might have to change my title to reflect it.

Sounds like you're getting it worked out. Learning how to tune your carb will be invaluable in the future!

:partyman:
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:lol. I'm "mr attitude" now? I like that. Might have to change my title to reflect it.

Sounds like you're getting it worked out. Learning how to tune your carb will be invaluable in the future!

:partyman:
I think he was calling himself Mister attitude.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

aha. helps if I actually read the entire thread I guess....

And yeah, going down 1 on the main and pilot should help some more.
gregp

Post by gregp »

FYI - The recommended "Starting Point" for your set up (from Just KDX.com) is a 155 Main Jet, and a 45 Pilot. Once I added a V-Force reed cage, my '04 200 demanded a much leaner set up. I am currently at a 38 pilot jet and a 142 main jet (600' elevation), and it could stand to go leaner yet on the main jet.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)