I need help.

Got questions? We got answers....
MaD_SheF

I need help.

Post by MaD_SheF »

Well I am in the middle of a top end on my 02 220 right now. And it is also the first time I have ever done a top end. So I am really curious about something.. When I was disassembling it, I sheared the threads off of the KIPS governer shaft that runs into the bottom end.. And the worst part was that it was PLAINLY obvious that it was a left handed thread.. And I wasn't paying attention. Anyways, I had the right side covers off, and I put the new shaft in. As you all probably know, there is a little screw on the right side that fits into a groove on the governer shaft, that keeps the shaft from moving in and out. With the new shaft in, the screw seems to have no effect, and the shaft is still wanting to move in and out. I lined it up properly with an allen key and then kept it in the same spot before putting the screw in.. So it lined up with the groove. So my question is this: Is there something inside of the screw hole that slides into that groove to keep the shaft in place? Because if there is, I've lost it (what ever "it" is, I have NO idea what I'm looking for lol..) when I was changing the shaft.. And I have no idea how I am going to get it back in to the hole once I buy a new one.. Needless to say I am a little nervous right now. I really dont want to damage my motor by putting something back together wrong.. :( Help please.
"I didnt quit riding becuase I got old, I got old becuase I quit riding." Best quote I have ever heard haha.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I believe there's a pin

part 92043A

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26 ... _Cover(s)_
Last edited by Mr. Wibbens on 06:02 pm Jun 19 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I recently had the same problem with my bike, the power band kept coming on and off whenever I went over bumps. After a year of frustration and confusion I finally found out that there's supposed to be a little dowel pin that slides into that groove and keeps the shaft in place. A little 25 cent piece that you could pick up at Ace Hardware or any hardware store.
MaD_SheF

Post by MaD_SheF »

Aww man! Thanks alot guys! I need to go the the bike shop tomorrow anyways, so I am going to be ordering that.. Again thank's alot, I was really getting nervous about it haha.
"I didnt quit riding becuase I got old, I got old becuase I quit riding." Best quote I have ever heard haha.
MaD_SheF

Post by MaD_SheF »

Found it! LOL. My brother has some good eyes, and that just saved me alot of time waiting for that little thing to ship..
MaD_SheF

Post by MaD_SheF »

Hey guys sorry to keep bumping this thread.. But I cannot find this anywhere.. I need the torque specs for the 4 bolts on the front of the clutch. (The ones that go through the springs into the basket.) It looks like I am bolting into aluminum, so I didn't want to risk over tightening them. It's an 02, 220.
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

Sounds like you'd be money ahead to click on the link at the top of the page and purchase the online manual. It has all the info you would ever want or need.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Velocity_Stack »

>|<>QBB<
skythrasher wrote:Sounds like you'd be money ahead to click on the link at the top of the page and purchase the online manual. It has all the info you would ever want or need.
Stockholder.
MaD_SheF

Post by MaD_SheF »

Yeah man. I was already thinking that hahaha..
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

You guys are so right, having a manual for you bike is the most ridiculous advice I've ever heard. :razz:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
Velocity_Stack wrote:>|<>QBB<
skythrasher wrote:Sounds like you'd be money ahead to click on the link at the top of the page and purchase the online manual. It has all the info you would ever want or need.
Stockholder.
No, it's just that everyone should have a manual on their bike if they plan to do their own work. Subscribe to Cyclepedia or buy an actual paper manual. It doesn't really matter which one but get one of the two!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

yeah, my manual saved me a few times already from making very stupid mistakes. You gotta have one IMO
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

82 INCH pounds on my E
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS