KIPS help needed

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

KIPS help needed

Post by SS109 »

I really thought we had a sticky somewhere covering KIPS dis-assembly/reassembly but I don't see one. Sticky, please?

Trying to take my KIPS apart. Following the manual I removed the left hand threaded nut. Yes, I supported it. Pulled out rod as far as it goes and pulled main exhaust valve out to the groove. That is as far as I can get. The idler valve does not want to come up. It will wiggle slightly up and down by hand but that's it. How the hell do I get it out? Just an FYI, the rod actuates all valves smoothly.

Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

did you remove the little c clip?

I'm fuggin wasted but I'm pretty sure there is a little clip right there :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yeah, there's a clip there. It doesn't need to come out yet though. The sleeve and main valve and all come out as a unit after the rod and sub-valves are out of the way. The idler gear should pull right out. That's the one to the far left in your picture. Spray some kinda cleaner or something to de-gunk and then pull harder? try wiggling the actuating rod while you pull?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yeah, the little clip is there but just about falls off. There is no tension holding it, just grease.

I have tried wiggling the rod while pulling to no avail. The idler will pull up almost a 1/16 of an inch but that's it. I sprayed it with PB Blaster and all that has done is make everything move smoother. This has got me stumped. :neutral:
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

yeah, there should be nothing holding it. If the actuating rod is at max extension. The only thing I see is that in your picture, the set screw for the activating rod bushing looks to be removed, and the bushing is not seated all the way. This could cause the rod to not be exactly where it needs to be for the gears to clear it. put that screw back in, put the rod at full open, and try again.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Tried putting the screw back in and making sure the bushing was seated. No go. So, I decided to pull the bushing to take a look inside. Looking inside the gears look fine and I don't see any reason it would hang up. I went ahead and sprayed some PB in there since I have it open hoping it loosens something up.

How critical is the rods position to getting the idler out?
'11 GasGas EC250R
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

I thought the idler gear will lift out with the rod all the way in. No?
David Eckel
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Figured it out. The collars and hydro-lock situation were the problem. On a side note, all valves look great! I'll get a better look once i clean them up a bit.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

that's a very good sign on an e-series. When you put it back together, check for any kind of slop anywhere and take care of it best you can. Seems to be the best way to make them last.