KDX 220 high revs on starup

Got questions? We got answers....
jubby

KDX 220 high revs on starup

Post by jubby »

Hi all, my kdx220 has started reving really fast when started from cold, as though it is running at about half throttle. It then settles down to a normal idle after a couple of minutes or a short ride. It only does tis when cold, all other times it is fine. Throttle is not sticking and I have had carb apart and all seems fine. What am I missing? All help very much appreciated.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Choke is on or off?

Really though, that's not unusual. When I cold start mine I flip the choke on/off to regulate the idle until it warms a bit.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Mine used to do that really bad. Never did figure out why

I'd just have to remember at the end of the day to turn the idle screw way out

The warmer the bike got the lower the idle would get, by the end of the day I'd have the idle screw turned all the way in
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
kdx633
Supporting Member

Post by kdx633 »

I have been told that bad reeds will also cause this condition.fwiw both my kx and kdx do the same thing from time to time.I often wonder'd if the float bowl was not full and was causing a momentary lean condition until it stabilized.
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

>|<>QBB<
kdx633 wrote:I have been told that bad reeds will also cause this condition.fwiw both my kx and kdx do the same thing from time to time.I often wonder'd if the float bowl was not full and was causing a momentary lean condition until it stabilized.
+1
kawie

Post by kawie »

my kx250 does this also.its not the reeds or carb or air leak it just the way it is.what i found out was to lean bike over an twist throtle till gas runs out vent tube,then i slowly kick the bike over 5-10 times without starting it.then i give it one good kick an it starts right up with no high rev.i think with my bike that there is not any or enough fuel through the motor to run right an if i slowly kick it it charges the cylinder with gas mixture instead of high rev like when it runnig out of gas.
try it this way an see if it makes a difference for you.
Kawie
2004 kx125
2001 kdx220
2000 kx250
1996 kx250
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I have not noticed the high revving thing but with mine if you just turn the gas on and start kicking it takes several kicks to get it to start, but if you turn the gas on and walk away for a little bit then it will start on the first kick every time.
It might be something to do with the bowl being empty and leaning it out until it stabilizes?