Long term storage?

Got questions? We got answers....
nads70

Long term storage?

Post by nads70 »

Hello All,

I've been coming to the site for a while but don't think I've posted before. Anyway, I have a question about long term storage. When my son was born 7 months ago I started cruising Craigs List for a KDX 50. I've always riden Kawasaki's and I know it's early but since they stopped making the 50 I figured if I got one now it would be in that much better shape when he's old enough to start riding. So a few months ago I went to my dealer to pick up parts for my 220 and noticed they had a brand new left over 2006 KDX 50 so I bought it.

Now I'm not sure what to do with it for the next 4 years or so until he's old enough to ride it. It has no gas in it or anything and I'm not even sure if it's ever been started. Should I do anything to it or just leave it until he's ready to ride? I've stored it in the house instead of the garage so it's not subject to the temperature changes and causing moisture engine or anything.

Thanks in advance!
ldspowersports
Supporting Member

Post by ldspowersports »

http://onlytrailbikes.com/2010/10/18/ho ... -dirtbike/

That is an article I wrote in winterizing. Basically you will be doing the same but for 4 years, I would advise starting and running it a bit each year to keep things lubricated.

Luke
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

should not hurt it just to sit

I've had a few minibikes sit WITH gas in them for longer time than that
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

For long term storage this is what I recommend.

1. Clean the bike thoroughly. - being yours is new you can skip the cleaning
2. Disassemble and lube all bearings. - this will keep them from rusting and seizing up
3. Lube cylinder with straight 2T oil via spark plug hole and rotate crank once. - again, since the engine hasn't been run, this is not necessary in your case
4. Fill transmission completely full (up to fill hole) with oil. - this protects all gears and bearing from rust
5. Use a protectant on all plastics and the seat. - I like Meguiar's Natural Shine.
6. Put desiccant packs into the air filter housing and seal it shut. - helps to keep out moisture and rodents
7. Seal exhaust outlet. - helps to keep out moisture and rodents
8. Store bike on a stand. - so tires don't flat spot
9. Grease fork tubes. - helps protect them from rust
10. Use a good quality breathable cover to cover the bike and store inside.

When it's time to break it back out just dust it off, fill with fuel, remove desiccant packs, unseal airbox and exhaust, and drain excess oil.

Now some may think this is way overkill but I think it is cheap insurance for any bike that is going to be stored for a year or longer. YMMV.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R