Crank STUCK

Got questions? We got answers....
SchafferFinney

Crank STUCK

Post by SchafferFinney »

I have a 2006 kdx200 and I'm trying to replace the main bearings. I've been screwing with the cases for two days trying to get them split. We had the crank press/ case splitter tool bolted onto the flywheel side of the cases and put enough force through it to snap the head off of a 5.5mm bolt (too much). We've done this five or six times, with a combination of heating the cases, and smacking with a hammer and brass stock. All of the bolts are out. The crank is clean on both ends. I also tried an air hammer. I need help, sooner the better. THANK YOU!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Is your splitter putting pressure on the end of the crank? got a pic of how you are setting it up?
SchafferFinney

Post by SchafferFinney »

I'm not by it anymore so i can't take a picture, but it's set up correct. Bolted onto the stator mounts, pressure is applied to the end of the crank.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Make sure you removed the circlip on the clutch side of the transmission output shaft (countershaft). It technically won't hold the cases together when splitting them from the ignition side, but good to check anyway.

I know this sounds dumb, but you removed the cylinder, right?

If nothing else works, try some heat. Get an old skillet or hot plate and heat it up good, then try the splitter. Prepare for an angered spouse when your home smells like hot ATF.

Also, if you can get a picture up of the cases with the splitter attached, we might be able to catch something you missed.
David Eckel
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

The stator bolts holes are kinda small, I opted for the case bolts

It sounded like a pistol being fired when it came apart
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Is it possible that the case sealer is holding you back that extra bit? Have you tried tapping (CAREFULLY) around the case with a rubber mallet when there is pressure on the splitter?
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
gregp

Post by gregp »

Do you have all of the bolts out? Check around behind the stator plate. Some of them are easily overlooked....
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)