clapping sound

Got questions? We got answers....
casola
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

clapping sound

Post by casola »

When I ride at low load and higher rpm in higher gears I hear a pretty noticeable clapping sound on my 200 with gnarly pipe and was wondering if that is what detonation sounds like from the mid being lean. If I raise the needle it 4 strokes. Un modded carb as well.

Thanks,

Joe
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

could be the KIPS
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

what grade fuel? What oil? When was the top end last checked?
casola
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by casola »

93 fuel 40:1 synthetic. Almost new top end. It's not piston slap for sure. Any other insight?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

You sure you're sure about that? Piston to cylinder clearance was good at last top end I guess? KIPS noise usually lessens or goes away with engine revs. It's pretty difficult to diagnose a noise without hearing it. The brief description certainly sounds like piston slap, or possibly something going south in the bottom end. Rod or mains should be more of a knocking sound than a clap though. Detonation usually sounds like really loud pinging.
gregp

Post by gregp »

Do you know if you installed an A, B, C, or D size piston? I usually shoot for a C or D on well worn cylinders...
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
casola
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by casola »

I know what you mean. Its a weird sound that I cant tell if it is detonation or a reverb from the belly of the gnarly pipe. It's definitely not a rod knock or piston slap and really doesn't have a consistent repetition like piston slap or rod knock. It's such a unique sound that I thought someone may now what I was talking about. A faint clapping sound at higher revs and low load.