kdx 220 coolant loss

Got questions? We got answers....
trex

kdx 220 coolant loss

Post by trex »

I have 2001 kdx 220 seems to be losing coolant, in two hour hare scramble losing half of coolant.I have had several kdx 200s with no problems will this .Any ideas.Thanks
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

There are a few possibilities.

Overheating - just working the bike hard in really hot weather or...
Bad radiator cap - no holding enough pressure to prevent overheating/coolant loss
Water pump seal - should see it in the transmission oil
Radiator or hose - pinhole leak or leaking past a clamp
Blown head gasket - should see it in the exhaust
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Fieldie
Supporting Member

Post by Fieldie »

My impellor nut had come loose & I was losing coolant out through the tell-tail hole next to the coolant drain plug. A symptom of this was the bike getting hot.
You will need to take the impellor cover off & have a look.
1997 KDX200-H3 Stock Standard except FMF Fatty pipe

...the glass is always half full...
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: kdx 220 coolant loss

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
trex wrote:I have 2001 kdx 220 seems to be losing coolant, in two hour hare scramble losing half of coolant.I have had several kdx 200s with no problems will this .Any ideas.Thanks
Half the coolant from Where? The overflow? It's not unusual to loose ALL the coolant from that during a ride. It makes it's way out the vent line. If the rads are low, then you have a problem.
heckler

Post by heckler »

I kept overheating and boiling coolant onto the ground until I put on a 1.6 rad cap. So far, so good. I had tried a new stock cap, but it didn't help.

http://gnarlyparts.ca/product_info.php? ... s_id=11311
ChubbyWookie

Post by ChubbyWookie »

Do a pressure test on the cooling system. Apply 16-18 PSI and should hold with no leaks for 30 min. If there is no drop in pressure try replacing radiator cap. If there is a drop in pressure. Check for leaks around all hoses and connections, any weld or solder joints on radiators, head and water pump. If you have no way of doing a pressure test take them to a radiator shop.

You could even try inserting a flourscent dye in the coolant. Ride the bike like usual and check for leaks with a UV light and some yellow/amber saftey glasses.

Also if your exhaust color is more white than usual and has a faint sweet smell its likely a head gasket :(

One more thing it is not uncommon to loose coolant throughout the overflow tank but half is to much, check your tube routing. Jeff fredette dosent even run his with a overflow tank
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|<>QBB<
ChubbyWookie wrote:Do a pressure test on the cooling system. Apply 16-18 PSI and should hold with no leaks for 30 min. If there is no drop in pressure try replacing radiator cap. If there is a drop in pressure. Check for leaks around all hoses and connections, any weld or solder joints on radiators, head and water pump. If you have no way of doing a pressure test take them to a radiator shop.

You could even try inserting a flourscent dye in the coolant. Ride the bike like usual and check for leaks with a UV light and some yellow/amber saftey glasses.

Also if your exhaust color is more white than usual and has a faint sweet smell its likely a head gasket :(

One more thing it is not uncommon to loose coolant throughout the overflow tank but half is to much, check your tube routing. Jeff fredette dosent even run his with a overflow tank

You forgot to have him do a CO2 test on the cooling system
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Depends a lot on your terrain

If you are running a lot of mud, sand or even in snow and spinning the rear tire but not moving much air through your rads, it's going to boil over

For some reason it never seems to collect in the catch bottle on my bike, it just goes straight out the vent

On a normal ride around here I have to refill my rads with my camelback 2 - 4 times a ride
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
MontanaKDX
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by MontanaKDX »

>|QBB<[/url]
heckler wrote:I kept overheating and boiling coolant onto the ground until I put on a 1.6 rad cap. So far, so good. I had tried a new stock cap, but it didn't help.

http://gnarlyparts.ca/product_info.php? ... s_id=11311
I also solved my overheating problem with an Outlaw 1.6 cap.
'97 KDX 220

RIDE ON!