93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

>|<>QBB<
chadr wrote:Based on all I've seen the 152/42 and clip in the 2nd position from the top is a good start at sea level. I now have a 155/45 in 90+ degree Florida heat and it is too rich but I have a 152/42 on order. If you are on the top of a mountain that combo may be a bit lean :)

I'd make sure you don't have some air leaking. Perhaps spay some carb cleaner around the carb and intake with the bike running to see if the idle is affected. With the 152/42 in there I wouldn't worry about further jetting until after it has been running a bit and you work out any other issues.
Yeah I already tried that, even around the cylinder head. I went ahead and switched back to the 155/45 and the needle in the top position, air screw out 1.5 turns. Yeah it's a bit too rich, but I'd rather be rich than lean. Besides, the bike seems to run a lot better at these settings. Thanks for your quick reply
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Did another short 15 minute ride on the KDX today to see if there's something wrong before I take it to the forest. It smokes a lot, white smoke. Motor oil is at the same level, coolant is at the same level in the reserve tank and radiator. Or maybe it's burning one of the 2 and I havn't ridden it long enough to find out which one it is? Runs and drives OK at lower RPMs, very hesitant when I wanna go fast. Pipe has some pretty sizable dents near the first bend located on the left side of the frame, could this be affecting the top end power and/or the smoking issue? I just put in 93 octane gas mixed with low-smoke Motorex 2T oil, still running 32:1 like my other KDX. One thing that I didn't point out til now: the slide needle wiggles a lot inside the slide. Could this also be affecting performance?
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

if the needle is real loose, then yes, it will cause the bike to act all weird.
the pipe{unless the dent closes the pipe off} should not make that much diff. in the running.
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
98 ktm 380 "because it dang near killed me!"
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

mine has always wiggled
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

does the petcock shut off? if it leaks even when off, or if you dont cut it off, gas will seep into the engine, and will smoke alot untill all the gas is burnt out. i know the needle seat is suppose to stop this, but most are worn to the point where it will leak.
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
98 ktm 380 "because it dang near killed me!"
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

>|<>QBB<
kdxmaniac wrote:does the petcock shut off? if it leaks even when off, or if you dont cut it off, gas will seep into the engine, and will smoke alot untill all the gas is burnt out. i know the needle seat is suppose to stop this, but most are worn to the point where it will leak.
yeah the petcock is completely off when its in the off position, and I always turn it off when I park the bike. I found out that theres a small leak on the crankcases towards the back of the cylinder right under the gasket, maybe this is contributing to the smoking issue? I dont know, but I put some silicone to seal it and hopefully it worked
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Worked on the KDX a little bit yesterday and today, found out that there's a small leak coming from the crankcases on the back side of the cylinder, right under the gasket. Cleaned it up and got some form-a-gasket and smothered it onto the area. Took out the slide needle and got some locktite tape and put about 2 rounds on the top part of the needle, right under the slots. The needle is a lot more secured now and sealed. I also noticed that on the coolant reserve tank, the PO misplaced the original cap and installed a cap from a water bottle in its place :lol: surprisingly, it fits pretty good. But after a few rides I found out it was leaking some, so I cleaned it up and put a few rounds of teflon tape on the threads and reinstalled the cap. Havn't ridden it yet with the teflon tape in place, but my best guess is that I solved the problem :) however, i did take the bike for a short ride after sealing the leak and slide needle. It runs much better and feels a lot smoother, and after pinning it a few times it seemed to smoke less. I guess I just had to burn out some of the grease still in there from assembly? Or maybe there was too much air getting inside the cylinder from the leak? Granted i am running a 155 main and 45 pilot which is rich, but it was ridiculous how much it was smoking
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Still trying to figure out why it smokes so much and why it runs sloppy. Coolant and gear oil are still at the same levels. Thought it might be an air screw adjustment, so while the bike was running I turned the air screw all the way in and it was still idling decently well, I'm pretty sure that's not normal. I'm guessing i need to check again for an air leak anywhere after the carb?
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Yesterday I took the carb apart and cleaned everything with kerosene and compressed air. I found out that the little tang on the float was bent outwards, creating a very high float level (and probably causing the bike to smoke so much) so I bent it back to stock level and re-assembled the carb. Also I tried getting the oxidation off of the gas tank and rear fender by using sandpaper, starting from course grit to fine grit and then using a plastic restorer. It didnt work as well as I thought it would and it took forever just doing one side of the tank, so I went ahead and just primed the tank and fender and painted them a florescent green. Doesn't match the other plastic at all, but i think it looks kinda cool :razz: I couldn't find a matching spray paint ANYWHERE, so the florescent green is as close as I can get. Still debating if I should keep it this green or switch over to white, what do y'all think? Anyways, I ran the bike today with the float level set at stock and it runs a lot better, smokes a lot less also :) I'm still not impressed at all with the power, I think my old 1987 XR 200 had more all-around power. Maybe it's because of the flywheel weight? I'm in the process of taking these big dents out of the pipe, hopefully this will increase some top end power. I'll post some before and after pics later
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

good work. keep the updates coming, it's nice to see complete threads...unlike mine.
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Update: I might've found out the solution to the bike's lack of top-end power. Seems like the KIPS governor shaft is a little harder to pull out from about the half-way open to fully open position. Might be the weld job I did on the little shim that slides into the groove on the governor. Guess I'll have to take the casing off again :sad: