1989 KDX-200: Budget Rebuild

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

turns out nobody locally has the stator on hand, I'll have to order one online. Anybody have experience with rebuilding one of these? I've seen forums of the lighting coil being repaired, but none about the stator coil
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Looking at conventional right now. Got a bid in for a cheap set on eBay.
David Eckel
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

I have a spare stator coil. I can check the resistance to see if it's ok. it came off a running bike but canada post strike is going on :roll:
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I found someone who has a brand new Ricky Stator source coil for the '89 and up KDX200 on hand, selling it on craigslist because it didn't fit his '89 KX250. Now if he could only look and pay attention to his email, Id go over and buy it and put it on my bike. I hate it when people on craigslist don't leave a phone number :evil:
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

and thanks Fletch, if this idiot doesn't reply in the next 2 days I'll probably take your offer. If it's still in good condition, how much are you asking for? and how long do you think it will take for it to arrive in Texas?
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

you can have it as it's unproven to me, it's just that canada post is on strike/lockout right now with no sign of a resolution. There is a chance I could send it usps with a buddy who goes to the states regularly but I'll have to look into it.
Fletch
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Got the old KDX running today :mrgreen: got that brand new Ricky Stator source coil and put it in, had to cut and splice the wires but no big deal. There is still a few small stuff to take care of in order to make it complete, but it's done as far as the motor goes. I will need to pull off the rear tire/swingarm/linkage to clean, inspect, and grease up since I see some play in there. Throttle cable will need to be cleaned and lubed or replaced. There are some nuts and bolts missing and the rubber squares for the pipe. I might have to switch back to stock reed petals since there is a little bit of an opening on the 607's, but I'll see how it runs with a better throttle cable. But other than these things that I'll take care of tomorrow, it runs pretty good! Clutch feels great and shifts smoothly and engages nicely. Lots of torque with that flywheel weight, it takes off right off of idle. Powerband is super smooth (also because of flywheel weight). Brakes might need some tweaking, or maybe it acts weird because there's rust on the rotors. I won't go fast or do anything crazy until the top end and clutch are broken in. I'll move onto cosmetics once everything mechanically is taken care of.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Good stuff. Glad to hear she's a runner!
David Eckel
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Me too, thanks for all the help :supz:
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Awesome :partyman:
Fletch
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Cleaned up and lubed the throttle cable using a special tool along with the spray can, worked pretty good! Ran the bike with a non-sticky throttle and it still felt sloppy, so I went ahead and switched out the worn-out 607's and went with the stockers; It ran much better than before. Didn't feel like going to a dealership and order the rubber squares for the header to mount to the frame, so I made my own and honestly i like them better than the OEM ones. Current jetting is 45 pilot and 155 main, I'll probably go and order a 42 Pilot and might switch out the 155 for a 152, it smokes a bunch when I get into powerband. The needle is pretty chewed up and might be contributing to how sloppy the bike feels, I'll definitely get it replaced. Front brake still feels bad, don't know if it's the rust causing this or if the rotor is warped or bent. Rear shock will need to be recharged and possibly rebuilt, and like I stated earlier I'll need to inspect the rear tire, swingarm, and linkage pretty soon. Other than these, I think it will be a pretty good bike! Got a video of how it currently runs, bike was already warmed up prior to the video
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Rock on, man!

I just made some progress on my cheapie rebuild. Won a set of '88 forks on eBay for $55 shipped, got new crank seals put in, new seals for the kicker, shifter, and countershaft, replaced the broken trans input shaft with a used one I got for cheap, rejoined the cases without incident, replaced the front wheel bearings, and replaced the headset bearings. Pretty productive morning!

I should really start my own thread, but I don't want to show everyone how I did a total, case-splitting tear down on a disgustingly dirty motor witout washing it first. Oops! Cat's out of the bag...
David Eckel
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I really like your pipe mount/insulators! :supz:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Those are cool, oem were $15 a pop last time I ordered some
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

>|<>QBB<
dfeckel wrote:Rock on, man!

I just made some progress on my cheapie rebuild. Won a set of '88 forks on eBay for $55 shipped, got new crank seals put in, new seals for the kicker, shifter, and countershaft, replaced the broken trans input shaft with a used one I got for cheap, rejoined the cases without incident, replaced the front wheel bearings, and replaced the headset bearings. Pretty productive morning!

I should really start my own thread, but I don't want to show everyone how I did a total, case-splitting tear down on a disgustingly dirty motor witout washing it first. Oops! Cat's out of the bag...
Productive, I'll say! You should start you're own thread because I'd like to see your build as well, the main seals on both of my KDXs are bad and will need replacement soon. I'd like to see how you did yours in case I want to change out the seals myself on my bikes
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:I really like your pipe mount/insulators! :supz:
Thanks!
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Those are cool, oem were $15 a pop last time I ordered some
Thanks! These only cost me about $7 for all three :mrgreen:
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I'm working on tuning the bike now and ran into a few problems. Choke never worked, so I took it off and realized that the little rubber boot right under the choke knob just needed to be zip-tied tightly to the housing. Installed a 42 pilot and 152 main and raised the needle to the 2nd position, still smokes quite a bit and still acts a little weird, actually weirder. Take off the choke and it still revs pretty high, but lower than with the choke on. tighten the throttle or screw in the idle screw and it lowers the RPM's instead of raising it. Air screw is at 1.5 turns out. Could it be the pilot screw too small? There used to be a 45 in there and the needle used to be at the top position.
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

*pilot jet
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

Based on all I've seen the 152/42 and clip in the 2nd position from the top is a good start at sea level. I now have a 155/45 in 90+ degree Florida heat and it is too rich but I have a 152/42 on order. If you are on the top of a mountain that combo may be a bit lean :)

I'd make sure you don't have some air leaking. Perhaps spay some carb cleaner around the carb and intake with the bike running to see if the idle is affected. With the 152/42 in there I wouldn't worry about further jetting until after it has been running a bit and you work out any other issues.
1989 KDX 200