220 questions

Got questions? We got answers....
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

220 questions

Post by bcdonyo »

I recently picked up a clean '02 220 for what I thought was a good deal. Turns out the tranny has issues, but I have a few questions.

The original owner who sold it to me, said it had Race Tech suspension set up for a heavy guy and a place called Millennium Technologies put a "225cc kit" in it with a forged piston and porting.

He failed to mention the bad tranny, so I'm suspicious about his claims. Yes I rode it but it was in storage lot that didn't have space to go through the gears and it SEEMED so clean, and the engine runs strong and crisp.

Anyway, what color was the stock shock spring on an '02? This one is bright silver.

Also, has anyone dealt with Millennium, their website looks legit, but why would someone want to punch out a 220 (218cc?) to 225 and replate it?

Guess I'll be finding out more when the engine comes apart.

Thanks in advance.

Here it is after I removed the 40 thousand stickers, put on a KDX rear fender in place of the bad fitting KX500 model, and put a stock headlight back on:

scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

there are a few 225 out there and people seem to be happy with it.
I can't recall hearing anything bad about millenium.
The only issue I've heard about was they tend to overheat but can't say for sure, just watch it. I guess I'd be sure to have to bike fully warmed up before flogging it.
the cylinder may have been gouged too deep from a failure to do a simple replate and decided to bore to 225 and replate.
spring color doesn't mean squat, could have been repainted...
what's wrong with the tranny?
clutch? gear?
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:there are a few 225 out there and people seem to be happy with it.
I can't recall hearing anything bad about millenium.
The only issue I've heard about was they tend to overheat but can't say for sure, just watch it. I guess I'd be sure to have to bike fully warmed up before flogging it.
the cylinder may have been gouged too deep from a failure to do a simple replate and decided to bore to 225 and replate.
spring color doesn't mean squat, could have been repainted...
what's wrong with the tranny?
clutch? gear?
Won't shift into third, sometimes fifth. Just asking about the spring, because I'm thinking about swapping suspension with my 200. I think the spring was blue stock, guess he could have repainted it. I'm gonna swap forks and shock tonight for a ride Saturday. The bike also came with a brand new Scotts tripple clamp/pro taper/stabilizer and mount still in the box. Oh well, if it sounds too good to be true. . . . . .
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

If the previous piston failed, as scheckaet suggests, odds are good pieces found their way into the bottom end. Maybe the guy only addressed the top.
I'm assuming you've already tried changing the tranny oil?
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

could be some broken pieces of the kips, if the PO didn't support the shaft and it broke and he didn't remove ALL the pieces from the gear box,it could get you these symptom; that's what happened to me and one day the bike got stuck. I could go from1 to neutral to 2 but nothing else. I would remove the clutch and inspect everything to find all the little pieces. I had to replace the clutch basket and some of the kick gear ($$$$).