buying a kdx

Got questions? We got answers....
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

buying a kdx

Post by canamfan »

Guys I'm looking at numerous kdx's to buy It looks like around here I can buy a mid to late 90's machine anywhere from $700-$1'200 I've also seen several late 2000 models in the $1,800 - $2,400. The earlier models usually have some mods already done such as handguards and pipes , while the later models are usually stock bikes that haven't been used much. I'm leaning torward the stock low hour machines, even though they cost twice as much, your starting out with a low hour machine. What do you guys think? I'll be riding some harescrambles so I will be doing some mods, to get more competitive.
plotski

Post by plotski »

They are great bikes either way....the only thing I would watch is on the "newer" models that have not been used much...is how can you REALLY tell that they are low hour machines?I have seen re painted frames..new plastics...and rolled back odometers...just sayin. the older bikes are great and they really didnt change much..if anything from 96-2005....have fun! :supz:
Wherever you go......there you are

1993 KDX250
1997 KDX220 Street Legal !!
92kdxRider
Supporting Member

Post by 92kdxRider »

Purely my opinion here, but I think you might be better off going with lets say a 95-02ish KDX mostly because if you're going to do harescrambles those bikes should atleast have had a top end done once or twice depending on how much they were used (obviously ask the seller about top end service and if its been done try to get some receipts or paperwork to prove it). And they'll most likely already have a few mods like handguards, pipe guards, skidplates, pipes and chain and sprockets. All stuff you'd want to do to set your bike up better for hare scrambles anyway. Money you don't have to spend that you WOULD have to spend if you bought a near stock newer bike with low hours. Also the 95 and up H-series bikes have a better frame, better overall feel and somewhat better suspension than the E series (89-94) bikes. Basically don't be afraid to buy something a little older for less cash, as long as its been taken care of. These bikes are for the most part bullet proof if they're maintained properly. I currently ride a 92 KDX 200 E-series and LOVE IT, and I paid a song and a dance for it compared to what I would've paid for a newer bike. Just my 2 cents.
gregp

Post by gregp »

I would look for an "H" series bike that already has the goodies on it. A pipe, silencer, reed cage, hand guards, and a skid plate will cost you over $500.
You should be able to find one that hasn't been beaten too badly for around $1500. Remember that they are all the same from 1995 to 2007.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

When looking for a bike I usually look for the one as close to stock as possibly. Normally they are less used. As mentioned, by on condition alone, not year. To clarify, 95 - 2006 are all the same, aside from colors, graphics, and minor things.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

You might get lucky and find a low hour bike with extras for cheap!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:2006.........

When looking for a bike I usually look for the one as close to stock as possibly. Normally they are less used. As mentioned, by on condition alone, not year. To clarify, 95 - 2006 are all the same, aside from colors, graphics, and minor things.
+1