Dyna Ring Hell (SOLVED)

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Dyna Ring Hell

Post by SS109 »

OK, I put 43.58 miles on her today with the EBC springs installed. I absolutely love it! It lowered the engagement just a bit more and seems to pull even harder. With the six tungsten carbide balls and EBC springs I am done modding my DR. The two of them cured my issues with the DR's engagement and there is no more having to get it on the pipe to get it to lock up. It would even pull 6th while just cruising with no problem. Grab a hand full of throttle while in 6th and it would start to pull immediately yet slip to get the revs up faster. I stayed off the pipe except for some straightaways but when I got on it the acceleration was simply freakin awesome. For the most part I just used the torque of the engine and the DR to just fly through the tight technical sections. I will be keeping my DR! :supz:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
sped66
Supporting Member

Dyna Ring Hell

Post by sped66 »

Thanks for another update. So you'd say you are 100% satisfied now? Guess I'll order some of these new balls. :lol:
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Dyna Ring Hell

Post by SS109 »

Yeah, I am 100% satisfied with it. Now that I have 7+ hours on it I have learned a couple of things. Be prepared to change your trans fluid regularly and make sure you remember what gear your in! :mrgreen:

I see changing the oil every couple of rides as mandatory for how I ride. I started noticing it would chatter (a common issue on the similar Rekluse EXP) after two days of race pace riding but just changing the oil and it goes away. I ride almost entirely in 3rd gear now when a lot of times I should be in 2nd so it slips more than it should have to causing my bike to run hotter. Sometimes I found it hard to remember what gear I was in because the DR will pull even in 6th when you should be in 2nd! You will know you are in the wrong gear as it just won't accelerate as fast and then you realize, DUH, down shift! :busted: I'll try to get my little camera mounted up and do a video next weekend so you can hear and see it in action.
'11 GasGas EC250R
sped66
Supporting Member

Dyna Ring Hell

Post by sped66 »

SS109 wrote:...adding some tungsten carbide balls from Rekluse. (If anyone wants to do the same the cost is $4 each and it is part #432-308)
I'm finally getting around to doing this mod. Called Rekluse (866) 735-5873 & ordered a pack of 10. (I'd rather have extras than not enough.)
Thanks for doing the initial leg work SS109. It'll be a couple of weeks or maybe a month before I post my results & final configuration.
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Dyna Ring Hell

Post by SS109 »

sped66 wrote:
SS109 wrote:...adding some tungsten carbide balls from Rekluse. (If anyone wants to do the same the cost is $4 each and it is part #432-308)
I'm finally getting around to doing this mod. Called Rekluse (866) 735-5873 & ordered a pack of 10. (I'd rather have extras than not enough.)
Thanks for doing the initial leg work SS109. It'll be a couple of weeks or maybe a month before I post my results & final configuration.
Your welcome! I was hoping the info would help someone.

BTW, a little update on my Dyna, I have noticed I can get normally 4 rides (about 200 very hard miles of trail) before needing to change the fluid. I run ATF Type F. After that you can start to get some chatter coming from the clutch. Also, mine is still running great and I could not be happier with it. It's a shame I can't buy one for my KDX250. :sad:
'11 GasGas EC250R
sped66
Supporting Member

Dyna Ring Hell

Post by sped66 »

SS109 wrote: I have noticed I can get normally 4 rides (about 200 very hard miles of trail) before needing to change the fluid. I run ATF Type F. After that you can start to get some chatter coming from the clutch.
I also run ATF Type F. Changed after every ride when I had the DR installed because it would turn black as tar in just a couple of hours. To be expected with that much slippage I reckon. Since reverting back to the stock clutch I see a huge difference in how long the ATF lasts. Great to know how yours is holding up before chatter starts... thanks for posting that. Sounds like you've reduced your slippage to a level that I hope to achieve. All I'm really after is "anti-stall" when I jab the rear break, and nothing more.
sped66
Supporting Member

Re: Dyna Ring Hell

Post by sped66 »

SS109, I could kiss you. I'll elaborate more when I can but I'm having computer problems.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

sped66 wrote:SS109, I could kiss you. I'll elaborate more when I can but I'm having computer problems.
I trust you are happy with the results, huh? :cool:
'11 GasGas EC250R
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

SS109 wrote:I trust you are happy with the results, huh? :cool:
This is how Revloc should have shipped the product from the factory. (Computer problem solved by the way.)
Oddly, I have plenty of play in the cable now unlike the problem I experienced at the beginning of this this thread. :hmm:
Had a great ride today & the tungsten balls made a world of difference. Clutch engages very low in the rpm range & pulls like the stock clutch once you get past the slip point. My buddy, who hated my DynaRing when it was stock, told me he barely even noticed that the bike even had an autoclutch at all. Admittedly, as you pointed out earlier, one simply must be in the right gear for proper engagement. Other than that, this is what I was after in the first place. No stall when I slam on the rear brake & no slippage unless I'm at a low rpm for a given situation.

Replaced 6 stock bearings with the Revlok tungstens.
Two springs in the Dynaring.
EBC heavy duty clutch springs.

I might try 3 more tungsten bearings just to see what happens for the hell of it, or not, but I'm very happy with the way the DR performs now. :boogie:

On a side note, my buddy has been loving my KDX vs his YZ426 so much (well, other than when I had the stock DynaRing in it) that he finally bought one. Today was his maiden voyage on it. 2003 KDX220R with RB mods to head & carb. FMF pipe & muffler. Mostly stock otherwise. He is understandably giddy.

SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Dyna Ring Hell (SOLVED)

Post by SS109 »

I'm glad that what worked for me also worked good for you. It sure makes the DR work like I thought it should. I really loved it yesterday riding the most technical stuff I have ever ridden. It saved my bacon more than once and I love how I can fly up gnarly hill climbs that used to kick my a$$!
'11 GasGas EC250R
nightfiref7efi
Supporting Member

Re: Dyna Ring Hell (SOLVED)

Post by nightfiref7efi »

Are you still able to use the clutch if you want?
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

nightfiref7efi wrote:Are you still able to use the clutch if you want?
The clutch lever? Yes, you can pull the lever whenever you want to disengage the clutch.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

sped66 wrote:
nightfiref7efi wrote:Are you still able to use the clutch if you want?
The clutch lever? Yes, you can pull the lever whenever you want to disengage the clutch.
Yup! :supz:

BTW, I'll be pulling the clutch this summer so I'll post up how everything looks and whether everything is still in spec.
'11 GasGas EC250R
RyanKeyte

Dyna Ring Hell (SOLVED)

Post by RyanKeyte »

Hi there kids. I bought a Dyna Ring via ebay the other day and when it arrived, it looked brand-new. The drive plates were a little discolored, but the DR itself looked liked it hadnever seen inside a clutch basket. So, I installed it; easy as i expected- Bad results, right off, it engauges strong. I tried differnt combinations of different springs, using a washer on the push-rod vs no washer. I changed a couple plates in the pack to vary the overall thickness of the clutch stack.... nothing helped. It was ALWAYS engaged. So I pulled the ring apart, and behold.... 36 TUNGSTEN BALLS, none of these were steel. So, playing with it, I took half the balls out, ran all 6 springs, and it is KINDA working at best... So its looking like i need to get 30 steel balls, and keep 6 tungsten and go from there..

On a side note, the directions have the DR right in the middle of all of the plates. Is this where you guys run it? does it matter? Can anyone here confirm the overall thickness of the ENTIRE clutch stack with the DR? The reason ask is i read some guys are running the OEM frictions, but my oem frictions are .115 thick, and the ones with the DR are .105 thick.. thats alot over 6 friction plates..

Any help is muchly appriciated..
My helmet is making it hard for me to hear natural selection screaming my name!!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I think I saw that DR on eBay a week or two ago.

I believe the E series uses the stock frictions.

I am not sure why Revloc recommends to put it in the middle and Rekluse recommends it being the second to last installed? I wish I knew enough about physics or engineering to know if it makes a difference.