KIPS shaft seal

Got questions? We got answers....
big gear head

KIPS shaft seal

Post by big gear head »

I did a pressure test on my '98 KDX220 and it's leaking bad around the KIPS main shaft. There is suppose to be a seal in there, but I can't find any information on how to change the seal or where to get the seal. It doesn't seem to come with any of the top end gasket kits. Where do I get the seal and how do I change it?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I bought a gasket set that came with it. I do not remember what brand right now but you could get it from Kawi if you just need the seal.
big gear head

Post by big gear head »

I tried to find the part number for the seal. I was going to get it from kawasakipartshouse.com, but I couldn't figure out which seal it was. Do you have to remove the top end to replace this seal?
'98 KDX220
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I think it depends on what side you are replacing. Take a look here http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com ... &A=227&B=8 are you talking about the 92049?
big gear head

Post by big gear head »

Crap, I didn't realize that there were 2 of them. Thanks for the link. That's a big help. Yea, it's the 92049 seals. I took the cover off of the right side and it was full of greasy black carbon stuff. I didn't take the cover off of the left side.

What is the best top end gasket kit? I have been looking at Cometic, but it doesn't have these seals. If I take the top end apart should I just replace the rings, or should I replace the piston too? I looked through the exhaust port and the piston and cylinder don't seem to have any scratches in them. I don't know if it's the original piston or not. I've only had this for 3 weeks. It's 13 years old, so who knows what has been done to it.
'98 KDX220
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Being that it is a 220 you should replace the piston just to be safe if nothing else. I can't remember what gasket set I used. I can look tomorrow.

I'm thinking that to do the right side you will want to pull the cylinder to take the kips apart and clean the whole mess.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

On my last top end work I used a Cometic gasket set. It came with those 92049 seals. It did not come with the o-ring that is on 46102A. That o-ring is not even shown in the parts breakdown you linked to.
In any case I'm wondering a little about your pressure test. That seal doesn't hold back cylinder pressure, just relatively low pressure exhaust gasses. I've found the RH side hard as a rock and not sealing anything. It wasn't hurting anything but it was making a mess under that RH cover and dribbling all around the water pump.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Here is a good read-

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

There are more.....
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
big gear head

Post by big gear head »

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showth ... p?t=506699 this is how I did the pressure test, and where I got the informaton about the shaft leaking. I haven't been able to find anything on how to stop the leak. My shop manual doesn't say anything about replacing the seals either. KarlP I'll check the link you gave me. Thanks.
'98 KDX220