89 kdx 200 - front shock question

Got questions? We got answers....
chadr
Supporting Member

89 kdx 200 - front shock question

Post by chadr »

How do I really know if new shocks are needed for my bike? I am still rather new to the kdx and dirt bikes in general though I've had a dirt bike for 10+ years. The shocks aren't leaking and appear to be working ok. I have them in the middle setting and I weigh 150 without gear. They don't bottom out with my riding ability yet...

I understand from reading here on the forum that kx shocks from a 125 or 250 are better - but I don't know when/if I should consider replacing since they are working.
1989 KDX 200
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Fredette's site says that it should be ok for your weight if I remember correctly, maybe it's 140lbs. I wouldn't sweat it too much, at your weight they probably work just fine.
Have you played with the compression adjustments yet? Oil levels? If not I would start there to tweak it before you get into an involved swap
my 2 cents
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I would not worry about it

As you become a better rider you will know when you need to upgrade, or not
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

thanks - I haven't touched the oil yet however I did purchase some in my last order of stuff so I'll replace it one day. When I first got the bike I put all damper adjustments in the middle and I haven't played with them yet. I'll move these around a bit to see if I can notice a difference in how the bike handles.
1989 KDX 200