stator issues?

Got questions? We got answers....
brayden55

stator issues?

Post by brayden55 »

i want to put a set of headlights on my kdx but there is absoulutly 0 power comming from my stator (so i know) iv checked the wiers comming right out of it. but the coil is still getting power. wats going on?

i would like ot put headlights on it but if i cant get any additional electricity from it il just build a wooden box on the front of the tripple clamp and plave a nice 12v battry in there and then wire up some 50w hallogens that glow green :mrgreen: lol but i would like to not have the extra wieght as i do some racing. do you think that a xtra 3lbs on the front of the forks would do anything.

still i would like to use the power from the stator but at least i have a backup plan

would appriciate ideas
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

How are you checking it? There are two coils there. The exciter coil which gives power to the ignition coil, and the lighting coil for powering the lights. Are you using a meter? It is AC output, which is important to note.
brayden55

Post by brayden55 »

oh alright thanks alot. how would you stop the flywheel from spining to take the nut off with the engine fully intact?
1995 kdx 200 my baby
1986 klr 250
1989 yamaha blaster 200 just like the kdx
1983 kl 250 bought the thing for $100 it wont die
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

One step at a time. The lighting coil sends power out the yellow wire. Have you checked that wire with a voltmeter set to AC?

As for the flywheel, you will need a flywheel puller. Getting the bolt out is no biggie, but the flywheel itself is not coming off without a proper puller.
brayden55

Post by brayden55 »

yes i have cheked both wiers comming directly our of the stator and there is no power at all! iv unpluged the assembly from the box it runs into and it still runs. :?

i really hate wiring! but she still runs!!! :supz:

i think i might just build a box on the front of the tripple clamp and then put my mx cover plate over front of it and mount some 50 watt hallogens to it! :lol: i heard that the omc light is not bright anyway

also i can put beer in the box :mrgreen:

but still i think its a good ideal to fix this issue
1995 kdx 200 my baby
1986 klr 250
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

You are doing something wrong. There is no way the bike can run without power coming from the exciter coil. What do you have your meter set to?
brayden55

Post by brayden55 »

i honestly forget what should it be set to
1995 kdx 200 my baby
1986 klr 250
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

:rolleyes:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

Take pictures of what you are doing and help us out a bit!

My guesses are that you are using the alternator in the DC setting, alternators provide AC current which doesn't read well on a DC voltmeter.

If you start the bike, with the negative of the meter on a clean section of the frame, now disconnect the wires one by one, (I have an SR which has different colours), don't disconnect the black one. One of them will cut the engine out, plug that one back in, and test the remaining wire. It should be a brown wire you are testing, white/red goes into the CDI, leave it plugged in and start the bike. When you rev it you should be getting some reasonably high voltage, around 20/30 volts, perhaps more.

http://www.users.on.net/~madmitch/KDX/K ... iagram.jpg
brayden55

Post by brayden55 »

alright thanks il try to take some pics this weekend and have em up by next week. in the mean time i think il be seeing my uncle this weekend and hes a engineer so mabe hill know what to do. thanks for all the advice
1995 kdx 200 my baby
1986 klr 250