Got questions? We got answers....
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Bought a KTM; Hybrid for sale

Post by KarlP »

I did buy a KTM.
The Hybrid is not for sale yet but I'm sure it will be. :butthead:
The Hybrid is a '99 CR250 frame with an '03 KDX220 motor in it. The pipe is modified from a '96 CR250. Boyesen reeds, RBD carb and head. I spent the first year (at least!) after building it getting the suspension tuned in for the woods. I probably spent over $1000 on suspension all together, though I did not keep track exactly. Great single track woods bike.

The KTM is an '08 200XC. Very clean, little used.
I rode all day yesterday and have a lot of work to do to tune it in, handling and suspension wise. The motor is fine but seems like it requires a bit different style - there is way less pull off the bottom, the gearing is too low, and it feels like it has a top speed of around 35 mph. I'll work on it, it'll be fine.

The KTM motor seems far too "civilized" at the moment. It idles cleanly, pulls gently, has a noticeable but sweet transition onto the pipe and revs way out without any real excitement. I'll have to work on that, too! :supz:

New stuff is fun!
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
SCREAM

Post by SCREAM »

like to pics of both
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

like to pics of both
Why?

I'm not being a smart ass, really, but an '08 KTM looks like an '08 KTM.
For all there is to know on the hybrid see the hybrid section. A '99 CR250 with a KDX motor in it looks a lot like a '99 CR250.
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Because we like to day dream at work thinking about your nice bikes . . .
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
SCREAM

Post by SCREAM »

yeah you're right. all dirtbikes look the same anyway. :roll:
SOARSKI
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by SOARSKI »

Put a hot bikini chick on the bike THEN send us the pic. Now it wont be so ordinary and I'll have two things to day dream about while I'm at work.

Keep us updated on the new bike, likes/dislikes, comparison to kdx. I've been drooling over a KTM as an addition to the kdx. Maybe 200xcw or 250 xc or xcw.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

It is very hard to compare the KDX to a KTM. They are diffrent bikes for different purposes, IMO.

Comparing the KTM to my hybrid is a little easier. The hybrid fits me like an old shoe; I've spent a couple of years tweaking controls and suspension and motor. The KTM is better in every way and I've only got a couple of hours on it. Apparently KTM is better at building motorcycles than I am. :lol:

There are some problems with the KTM compared to the KDX. I can't see plunking around with the kids very comfortably like I could on a KDX. The KTM won't dodge and weave and turn between trees while abusing the clutch like the KDX did. Close, but the KDX is better at that.

I'm looking around for a KTM roller. I'd love to put my KDX motor in a KTM frame. (That sure would irritate the KTM crowd)
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:I'm looking around for a KTM roller. I'd love to put my KDX motor in a KTM frame. (That sure would irritate the KTM crowd)
Now that would be one awesome hybrid if only to see the faces on the KTM faithful! :mrgreen:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R