Steering Damper.

Got questions? We got answers....
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Steering Damper.

Post by jafo »

Well since I got my computer on and going, I'm looking at a damper now. I plan on either getting a Scotts or one of Emig's dampers. Probably will go with an Emig's damper.

Who's got steering dampers and what brand? How much of a difference could you feel after you installed it? What types of riding areas does it work good in?

OK last question, how does it work? I mean is it some type of hydraulic system in the unit? I understand how the unit hooks up and works to dampen, I just wondered what was inside the actual damper, what makes it "tick" so to speak.

Jon.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I put a Scotts on pretty recently. Check out my review cleverly hidden in the "Product Review" section. Basically, I like it. The biggest difference I see right now is I'm not getting nearly as tired as I used to, because I have a very relaxed grip now. I debated between the WER and the Scotts, didn't know about the Emig. I chose the Scotts because some people that had the WER said they wished they got a Scotts, but I never heard anyone say the opposite. Also, the customer service is first rate at Scotts. Everytime I've called (only 3 times) whoever answered knew the product and took care of me right away.

edit- Oh and what makes it tick? a little arm inside a chamber full of oil supplies resistance to torsional impacts applied to the triple clamps. I think.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Thanks Mike...... :grin: I'm not often clever enough to go look there. I like multiple opinions and then "average" them out to come to a "logical" choice. j/k :lol:

So it sounds like you like your Scotts damper. I have went over to thier web site and it sounds like they know thier stuff. I may wind up buying a Scotts damper instead. I was reading some product discriptions on E-bay and it appears that they need rebuilding from year to year. I need to look into it alittle farther, and go back the Scotts web site and dig alittle deeper.

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

"Rebuilding" consists of an oil change.... whoopie! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

There's a tad more to 'rebuilding' a damper than changing the oil..just as there is more to rebuilding a fork than changing the oil, more to rebuilding a shock than changing the oil, more to rebuilding a motor than changing the oil....etc etc. :wink:

You should indeed change the oil from time to time..put it on your shock oil change schedule.

Uh...that's once a year, right folks?

Keeping the oil in good shape will keep you from rebuilding it as often...if ever.

re: cleverly hidden...

That was bery clever!!

Yes, there is a hydraulic 'system' in the damper.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Really CC?
Scotts Performance wrote: How often do I need to service the Stabilizer?

We recommend you treat it as you would your suspension. However, when mounted properly, there are virtually no parts to wear out. An occasional oil change is all that is needed. Each riders demands will determine how often that oil change is needed. If you're not sure, send it in. When we service it, we'll be glad to let you know what condition the oil was in so you'll know how long before the next service.
It's pretty much maintenance free other than oil changes....at least for a Scotts... don't know about the others. Tolerances are so close with the Scotts...it's amazing!

I guess in the true sense of the word.... CC is right. A rebuild consists of more than an oil change. But if mounted correctly and regular oil changes are done.... you should never have to "rebuild" a Scotts.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
PhilJensen

Post by PhilJensen »

I have a scotts too. I LOVE it. I have even convinced most of my riding buddies to get them. They love them too.

Phil
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

I have ridden my friends Husaberg with a Scotts. I never got to try his bike before the damper so I can't say for sure the exact difference but his front end tracked so straight in deep sugar sand compared to my KDX it was alomst like majic LOL :shock:
03 220R
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

good point, my bike used to be a handful in the soft stuff, but with the damper it goes much better. On roads with deep gravel it used to get into some kinda scary headshakes at WOT- around 68 mph. With the damper it just tracks straight and true. Much less exciting :lol: .
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
gwhII

Post by gwhII »

Yep, count me as a positive for th e Scott's too. If it helps you any, Ohlins had a hand in designing it (or designed and made the initial version) and Scott's has refined it and now makes it for Ohlins who also sells them. That's what I remember reading when I was researching it but I've slept since then. :-)

-G
'03 KDX200 -Mine
'03 CRF230 - Daughter's
'03 XR100R - Son's
'02 CBR600F4i - Street
'63 Seagrave 531B, '42 Seagrave Aerial
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I understand there are virtually no parts to wear out. I understand that sending it in for 'service' is likely going to mean an oil change.

'In the true sense of the word' is what sense I was wording.

The term 'rebuild' being substituted for 'service' is wrong...not a matter of opinion or ponit of view...just plain wrong.

WER provides a 'rebuild' service for their units. Considering the cost...it is certainly more than an oil change.

Well...I know that it is, 'cuz I've verified that already.

re: 'if mounted correctly and regular oil changes are done.... you should never have to "rebuild" a Scotts.'

Most likely true of both a Scotts and a WER.

Well...if mounted correctly. Incorrect mounting can ruin (physically damage, being about need for a rebuild!!) either damper.

Iso-bushed bars are a primary cause of failure, BTW...
Last edited by canyncarvr on 02:07 pm Jul 15 2005, edited 2 times in total.

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well...there ya be! :wink:

I guess I was reading into the post due to him saying he has read alot of needing rebuilt every year. That stuck me strangely since I am pretty sure he meant oil change. Correcting on an assumption is proly wrong... but what is done is done.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Heck...I'm never clear about too much of anything to anybody.

Well...it makes sense to ME...sometimes. :wink:

Consider the source

jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

OK, I went to Scott's web site to order. I got to the page that you tell them what your bike is outfited with. The one thats giving me trouble is they want to know the bar position. 1= closest to rider. 2= next closest to rider 3 and 4 are clamps with multiple bar mounting holes. I'm sure that 3 and 4 are out because I have only one set of mounting holes. So I'm guessing that #2 would be the best choice. My bars are basically in stock position. What do you guys think?????????

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

1. Stock (closest to you)
2. Furthest from you.

2. Is the best choice.. for me that is!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

gwhII

Post by gwhII »

Howdy Jon,

I just went to the website and since ours only has one hole, just use the number 1. Look at the help just to make sure you agree with me. I don't think 1 or 2 differ that much since three's extra play in the arm and reversing the bar mounts doesn't move it that much. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I'm assuming that you want to use the stock upper triple clamp. The biggest issue is that you enter standard bars so that you get the right bar clamp (though I don't think they'll send you an oversize since the only way they'll do it is with an entire Scotts TC assembly). When in doubt, you could always call them at 818-248-6747. They say they're open til 7PM Pacific. :-)

EDIT - The biggest issue is if you want to add a computer because they'll reverse the arm. I did this and got the Trailtech armored mount.

-G
Last edited by gwhII on 04:52 pm Jul 15 2005, edited 1 time in total.
'03 KDX200 -Mine
'03 CRF230 - Daughter's
'03 XR100R - Son's
'02 CBR600F4i - Street
'63 Seagrave 531B, '42 Seagrave Aerial
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Jon,
Did you get a top clamp from Emig for a Scotts?
Or are you getting a Scotts top clamp to mount the Scotts to the KX front end? Are you going with a weld-on system or the bolt-on?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

canyncarvr wrote: Iso-bushed bars are a primary cause of failure, BTW...
The main failure is of the pin right?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I'm keeping the Emig clamp and trying to get a bolt on damper. For the top clamp, it had serveral clamps to pick from and "other". So I'm assuming that they have some type of universal damper to go with the kit. the year of bike I think takes care of the clamp part that goes around the neck????

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Top bar clamp is what your damper is mounted to. It needs to be made specifically for the damper and if you are mounting a computer, they need to know that too.

Do you know if the EMIG top tree is made to mount your bars exactly like the stock KX top tree? The lower bar clamp holes match perfectly? If so, you can order the KX top bar clamp from Scotts to mount the damper and a KDX bolt-on pin tower.

This is what I am running and it did take a little tweaking to get it right. Whenever you start changing these parts around it takes some homework to get the setup you need without blowing a bunch of extra jack.

So, measure, measure and measure some more.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****