Clutch help

Got questions? We got answers....
Wazowski

Clutch help

Post by Wazowski »

Hello all. It's been a while since I've been on this site. Sorry to hear about Indawoods.

Here's the deal.

I am trying to finish up the rebuild of of my nephews KDX220R and have hit a snag. I have assembled the clutch according to the online manual. It explains to tighten the four clutch spring holder bolts a few turns at a time until they can be torqued to 78 in/lbs.

Problem is, by the time you complete that, the clutch is fully disengaged and won't even contact the actuator arm so when you install the cover you have no clutch lever feedback except the actuator spring on the outside of the case.

The only way I can get any pressure plate spring feedback and anything even close to a normal clutch feel is too only tighten the four bolts about half way in or until the spring plate is flush or even a little higher than the clutch hub. I even shimmed out the pushrod with a few washers to get a little more contact with the actuator.

This is all wrong I'm sure. I am hoping one of you has done this clutch rebuild and know a trick or an error I've made that the online manual does not address.

Anyone know what I've done wrong?

Thanx in advance...Waz
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!" - Emmet Brown
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Did you forget the big washer under the hub?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

Oh, that's what that left over washer is for!

Yes you are correct. The diagram shows that washer on the inside of the basket before you put the conical washer and nut on. Goes right between the basket and the hub.

Thanx!

I'll let you know if that does the trick!
ldspowersports
Supporting Member

Post by ldspowersports »

I think it sounds fixed :)

Luke
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

SUCCESS!

It took a bit of fooling around before I figured out that the washer, once it's in place and the pressure plate is seated properly, the clutch goes together quite well!

Imagine that!

It's all together now and it fired up on the second kick...just what you expect from a KDX.

Thanx all...or...both of the responders...for reminding me. When you get something like this in a basket with a lot of duplicate parts it'd hard not to get a little lost.

But the online manual is great...could not have done the rebuild it at all without it, and people like you.

See you on the trail somewhere!

Waz
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Yeah, I've found the online manual great except it doesn't lay all the little parts out in a diagram too well. I helps to have a print out of the parts diagram handy.
David Eckel
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

Yes, that would be my only beef about the manual too. It really could do with a few more exploded views but it seems that where it's really important, like the trans gears and the KIPS actuator, there is detail enough. Still, it missed the little ball and spring in the hollow screw thingy for the KIPS valve shaft gear. I only discovered that as left over parts and had to figure it out on my own. Good thing there is only one place it could go and I had done a top end before!

There are other nuances like aligning the shift forks and meshing the trans gears that just can't be explained so it helps to have some mechanical aptitude too before taking on a complete rebuild.

Still, without the manual one would be pretty lost. Well worth the bucks!

Waz