Need opinion on 94 kdx250 piston

Got questions? We got answers....
hlewis
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by hlewis »

Is it common to have a problem getting the kips valve guides back in place after a replate? I'm able to get the left side in but the right side valve guide and idler guide will not slide in. In fact they don't even seem close to fitting.

Should I try to sand the slot down a little. I don't really want to do that for fear of getting it out of round. But I don't know of another option.
99 KDX200
94 KDX250 - Sold 12-17-11
86 XR200
hlewis
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by hlewis »

I got everything back together and I went through a couple of breakin cycles. I'm a little disappointed with the amount of smoking that the bike is still putting off. This was one of the main reasons that I pulled the piston in the first place. The smoke is a whitish color but it doesn't smell like coolant. I haven't riden the bike enough since the rebuild to tell if it is loosing any coolant.

I checked the jetting on it again and it has a 38 and a 155 with the stock needle in the leanest setting. I'm 93 Oct. gas running 40:1 Synthetic Oil. Not positive of the brand as I'm at work.

I'm getting a small amount of spooge coming out of from around where the pipe connects to the cylinder and now again I'm dripping spooge from the muffler.

I know that I need to actually check the spark plug but I also know that it will be wet when I look. So I haven't checked it yet. What I'm not understanding is how lean can you actually go on a 250. I've got some more jets I can try but it seems like something else might be wrong.

I will say this though. Besides for the smoking the bike is pretty dang fast.

Any suggestions on what to do next? I'm really hoping that the answer is not tear it down again and change out the crank seals and bearings. I definitely don't/can't spend any more money on it right now. The wife will kill me.
99 KDX200
94 KDX250 - Sold 12-17-11
86 XR200