220 vs 4 strokes

Got questions? We got answers....
market

220 vs 4 strokes

Post by market »

Hi, first of all this isn't a which-one-is-faster thread.... :mrgreen:

Just wanted to know which bike could be better for my riding......woods, tight trails and single tracks....i don't need so much speed but....i need the torque

so i was wondering if a tuned 220 (cylinder ported for low-midrange, flywheel weight, v-force 2, fmf gnarly with spacer and a powernow) could be better than a ''woods'' 4 stroke like a ktm400, a crf 250x or 290x or a wrf250....

when i say 220 i'm talking about a '04 cr125 hybrid.....so the frame and suspension will be ok..

thank you and sorry for the english... :wink:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The power delivery on a 220 is so linear and torquey it is described as "four stroke like". Plenty of power, less weight, easier maintenance. Seems like a no brainer to me?

There is lots of personal preference involved though. Idealy you should ride both before making your decision.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:The power delivery on a 220 is so linear and torquey it is described as "four stroke like". Plenty of power, less weight, easier maintenance. Seems like a no brainer to me?

There is lots of personal preference involved though. Idealy you should ride both before making your decision.
+1
market

Post by market »

there aren't kdx 220/200 where i live......obviously i know that ride the bikes would be the best thing to do......but i cannot!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I rode an XR400 for years, other XR's before it, almost exclusively in tight woods.
When I first got a KDX220 I thought I had made a big mistake. The thing seemd too light and weak, almost a playbike.

After a bit of modification and tuning it turned out to be a great bike. I was faster on it and did not get worn out nearly as bad as on the XR's.

I'm currently on a CR250/KDX hybrid. Really, really great woods bike.

None of the current crop of small four strokes compares, at least not in the tight woods I've got this bike tuned for. The CRF and WR's are way too heavy feeling to me. I don't know about the KTM
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

i went from a 06 ktm 525 exc to a kdx 220 ..ive ridden the same trails on both bikes & if i`m honest the only thing i miss is the power of the 4 stroke when i`m riding on the road from trail to trail..sure the ktm has the best suspension & a compact powerful motor along with excellent dealer back up for affordable spares etc etc but it cost a small fortune to keep them running what with oil..filters ..plugs etc every so many hours..i have the same fun on my kdx & things last x2 as long than they did on the 4 stroke..sure a 4 stroke tends to run the same day in day out but 1 day..& it will happen it`s going to go BANG & when it does you better hope you have a good stash of £££/$$$ coz it`ll cost you a heck of a lot more to repair than a 2 stroke!
hornet8118

Post by hornet8118 »

here's my input. i currently own a 2004 crf 250x and an 2003 kdx 220. crf is set up with all of honda's recommended closed course competition mods, 250r cam, fmf Q series pipe, jetted, boysen accelerator pump. suspension is stock with the exception of a kouba 1.5 lowering link and the front forks raised 5/8" in the triple trees with 1" bar risers 1 1/8 low bend bars. The kdx has a fmf gnarly woods pipe, turbine core muffler, jetted, unmodified airbox and stock reeds. suspension is completely reworked for my weight with riding gear being 220 lbs. BRP upper tree with steering stabilizer and high bend bars. Time and time again i jump on the kdx when we go riding. i think the kdx is an all around easier and more forgiving bike to ride than the crf. all my friends think i'm crazy. i feel faster on the kdx than i do the crf. The kdx is bulletproof and maintenance is as easy as it gets. everytime i take the crf out i cross my fingers its not time for a valve job. the best part of the crf is the electric start. the worst part is changing the oil and filter every 3 rides with honda hp oil and oem filters at an average of $15 per oil change. i ride woods 99% of the time.

Hornet
2003 kdx 220 plated
2001 klx 300r
2004 crf 250x plated
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

My previous 3 bikes have been a DR650, DRZ400S and a XR400R, I'd definately pick my KDX over all of them in any type of offroad situation.
market

Post by market »

thank you so much guys!!!

what about the power delivery of the engine? does the kdx have the bottom of a 4 stroke? (almost)

thank you!
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

no 2 stroke can match a 4 stroke for bottom end grunt but the kdx ..for a 2 stroke..pulls very well depending on how its set up..gearing..jetting etc..the 220 is tuned differently than the 200 & makes its power toward the bottom/mid range...both good bikes tho.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
cornishwrecker220 wrote:no 2 stroke can match a 4 stroke for bottom end grunt but the kdx ..for a 2 stroke..pulls very well depending on how its set up..gearing..jetting etc..the 220 is tuned differently than the 200 & makes its power toward the bottom/mid range...both good bikes tho.
I disagree, and strongly. This depends of course on the 4t in question. A 250f or xr/dr will not come close to the power of a 300 - 500cc two stroke, bottom end grunt or otherwise.
market

Post by market »

i know that with a kdx you have not a crf450 or an xr400....

just thinkin' about a 250f....

thanks.... :partyman:
Klammer

Post by Klammer »

>|<>QBB<
cornishwrecker220 wrote:no 2 stroke can match a 4 stroke for bottom end grunt but the kdx ..for a 2 stroke..pulls very well depending on how its set up..gearing..jetting etc..the 220 is tuned differently than the 200 & makes its power toward the bottom/mid range...both good bikes tho.
You obviously haven't ridden a KX500 !
Klammer
hornet8118

Post by hornet8118 »

the modern 250 class four strokes don't make a ton of torque in my opinion. i describe the power delivery on them as a 125 mx'er on steroids. 125 are just way too soft on torque, thats why your always go to ride them on the pipe. Don't get me wrong cause my 250x is fast and the type of riding i do its all i need for power. The kdx i feel has an abundance of torque for a 2 stroke. Motor wise it is just as fast. i ride both bikes and torque wise i feel they are pretty close to the same. it's no xr 400 but for a 2 stroke they're torquey. The great thing about the kdx is when you have the jetting and pipe mods spot on it runs absolutely great. you don't have to be on the pipe and be in the powerband like 125's. i lug the kdx through tight technical New England trails loaded with rocks, mud, and roots and it does not skip a beat. yeah the bike may have a dated suspension but with a little work it performs great.
2003 kdx 220 plated
2001 klx 300r
2004 crf 250x plated